June 2015 Moms

Find it odd.

I am 11 weeks pregnant and under tons of stress my first midwife appointment is Tuesday I came to the e.r. Tonight due to high anxiety and haven't eaten or slept in two days basically due to stress. While the e.r. Is trying their best to help ease my symptoms I find it odd that they are not even going to check the baby's heart rate or anything. In fact for all they know I could be lying about being pregnant...not sure why anyone would to the er but idk just weird.

Re: Find it odd.

• Just a question for you, but what is the ER going to be able to do to help you with stress and anxiety? It sounds to me like you need to speak to a therapist about the issues that are causing you this turmoil. 

Also, if you are concerned that they aren't going to check on the baby while you're there, and that's the main reason why you went to the ER, tell them that you would like them to check. If they are there to help you, then request that they do the things that will help ease your mind. 
    --Amanda--
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I came here for immediate help to ease my symptoms I've just began seeing a counselor/therapist for help dealing with anxiety, but because I haven't been able to eat or sleep due to stress and anxiety I came to the er. They were able to give me something to help level me out.
  • Loading the player...
  • You are right. You would think if you are under stress and anxiety, they would check the heart rate because usually with those symptoms your heart rate goes up.. hmm what did they give you?
  • They are not OBs and your symptoms aren't related to the baby.  It wouldn't really make sense for them to be checking given the symptoms you went in there for.   The baby is very safe and protected in there - short term stress or panic attacks will not harm him/her. Glad they were able to give you something to help, but a psychiatric ER would be more appropriate for that kind of thing.

image  image
  • I'm an ER nurse and have to say I'm surprised they didnt listen to fetal heart tones. If a pregnant person comes to our ER, regardless of complaint, we check HR. You can always ask to have them checked. It takes 5 minutes to do.

Married 10/2010       TTC#1 Since 6/2014
     BFP #1- 10/26/14
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I went to the ER on Friday night for my headache/sinus pain and they did not check the baby at all. The made sure medicines they gave me were ok and a nurse told me how she had pneumonia while pregnant, but no one offered (nor did I ask) to check on the baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was in the ER yesterday for dehydration due to a horrible stomach bug. They made sure all my meds were preggo safe but never checked the baby. She said they may or may not be able to pick up fetal tones at 10 wks +5. Simce I wasn't experiencing any pain or issues with baby they just treated me.
  • At 11 weeks it's easier to see a heartbeat than to hear it. Since you're stressed and feeling anxious they might not check the baby's heart rate because if they had a hard time finding one it could cause you more stress. Also it cost extra money to have that done, so in this case I would say they are trying to make this as stressless for you and baby as possible. Remember you can request it though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"