September 2014 Moms
Options

Baby refusing to nurse

We've been bf for 9 weeks, started a bottle here and there since 3 weeks. Never had a problem going back and forth. Last bottle was Sunday.

Past few days there's a feeding or two she's screaming so much she won't latch. I know she hungry. I've tried expressing some out for her to taste, skin to skin, walking around to calm her down... She won't settle down enough to eat. I try to feed her every 2 hours thinking she's getting too hungry, but that doesn't work.

She got so horse right now from screaming, I did skin to skin, different positions, nothing. I finally made her a bottle of what I pumped this morning. I let her have a few sips then put her to my breast and she finally latched. Now she's fine.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any one have any suggestions?
Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Baby refusing to nurse

• Options
    My LO started doing the same thing at 9 weeks. I think it's a leap. I find it generally happens when she is over tired or over stimulated. I just hold her like she's bf and give her a paci to calm her down. Sometimes she'll eat for a bit after but at most 5 mins. She has just been eating more in the morning and night.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My DS has done that before. He had a day where he was like that all day. I was so worried he wasn't getting enough. I spoke with a LC and she thought maybe he was having tummy troubles or it was just a phase. Luckily it passed and he went back to nursing no problem. I don't have any advice just keep offering the breast. BF is tough work. I hope it's just a phase and your LO goes back to nursing easily soon!
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's happened to me last night. DD was hungry, but would not latch. So I fed her a bottle of BM that I had pumped the day before. She needed to drink it anyway before it went bad. I have to do this once in a while with her b/c she fidgits so much. It seems to get her back on track. Its ok, Mama. There's nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    When I BFd DD she would do this. She just wanted a bottle bc it was easier for her, she didn't have to work so hard and she wanted milk right then.

I don't your doing anything wrong, maybe a leap? She could just be really hungry and want milk without having to work for it.
  • Options
    My DD did this too around 9 weeks! The only way I could get her to latch was by walking with her. It was driving me crazy so I contacted a lactation consultant. We figured out that she was having trouble with my overactive let down. We now switched to feeding with her sitting up and also block feeding and she's doing so much better. Good luck figuring it out. Babies can be tricky!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel better knowing others had issues at 9 weeks. We're at the end of her second leap.

It's been at all times. Before today it was at night. Today it's been all day. At 2 am, she finally latched in the football hold. 7 am was fine. 1030 I had to give her a few sips of a bottle to get her to latch. 2 pm total refusal so I gave her 3 oz of a bottle. I've offered to feed her every hour - she seemed gassy so I put her in the tub. Got some good farts out.

Then I sat in the glider and kept offering the boob then paci. I kept calm, or tried. I use a shield fit inverted nipples and on a whim tried without. She finally latched. I think she was getting too impatient to suck the nipple out to get the milk.

Thanks for all your help. I guess I just have to stay calm and persistent.

I went to lunch and my friend is also bfing. I told her my issue. She told me an antidote about someone who's baby just stopped nursing one day and she had to switched to ep. While I had to give E a bottle, I cried thinking this morning was the last time I would nurse her. But then I read the responses and I got encouraged again. So seriously, thank you.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    About every other day my LO does this during an evening feeding. I have to walk with her to get her to calm down and then try to get her to latch while I'm walking/swaying. It usually takes a few tries. Once she latches, I'm usually able to sit down in 5-10 minutes, once the wimpering stops. My DH looks at me like I'm crazy, but it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"