December 2014 Moms
Options

Breech ECV procedure?? Anyone?

designchicadesignchica member
edited November 2014 in December 2014 Moms
35 weeks. Baby is breech and if he doesn't turn in the next two weeks, ob wants me to go have some procedure (ECV) done to turn him. I'm uncomfortable w this procedure and have heard it can be dangerous at 37 weeks. Anyone with experience with this? I am leaning towards not doing the procedure and instead scheduling a c section for 39 weeks. Baby daddy rolled his eyes at this and made it clear he thinks I should do the procedure . I'm not sure how we resolve this disagreement when we already have so many other things we are battling out. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance possibly that the ECV procedure is not a big deal, in case I end up getting pressured into going that route. I can't explain why, but my gut is telling me not to do it.

Re: Breech ECV procedure?? Anyone?

• Options
    @NikkiMN143‌ ...thank you for the encouragement. I am going to be doing some exercises at home to try to get baby to turn in the next two weeks, hoping and praying they work .
  • Options
    I mean this with no snark at all, but I know it's been discussed fairly recently if you search back a few pages. Some of the other ladies talked about their experiences I hope LO turns for you, I know a couple other moms had last minute spinners.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would go with my gut, simply because I know I could never forgive myself if I didn't and something were to happen. Did you discuss risks with your OB?

Also, from what I heard, some c-sections can be less of a traumatic experience than vaginal delivery.

Good luck.
  • Options
    My childbirth teacher said a vaginal delivery is better for recovery and can be less traumatic for baby (better breathing and such?) than a c section. I think I would take the painful procedure over major abdominal surgery. That being said, Im a first time mom and thats about all I know on the subject. If you search version in this forum, you should come up with lots more info. Gl!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses. I will search the board for those posts ! Ob did discuss risks but seemed to indicate that the bigger issue was that it is very uncomfortable for mom and baby for a procedure that has about a 58% success rate
  • Options
    My baby is also breech and my doc said that bc he does not flip back and forth, it is very unlikely an ECV would be successful. If your gut is telling you not to do it, TRUST YOUR GUT.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Linden25 said:

ebilbao said:

My baby is also breech and my doc said that bc he does not flip back and forth, it is very unlikely an ECV would be successful. If your gut is telling you not to do it, TRUST YOUR GUT.

This exactly. My baby has been breech since the anatomy scan and has not flipped so my ob said it is very unlikely that an ECV would work. Sometimes there are reasons that babies don't turn head down and I don't want to potentially cause a problem by forcing something.
    ---------
    Exactly-my doc and chiro both said sometimes there is a reason they don't flip,from not enough room to the cord being too short.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had one done last week. It wasn't fun but for me was definitely better than a c section. I really want a natural birth and in my area no one does vbacs so I didn't want to resign myself to a life of c sections without trying everything possible! For me it's been so far so good and baby is still head down

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It's your body- remember that. Your sO and Doctor aren't in charge in this situation. You have to do what you are comfortable with. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I just saw my doctor for my 36th week appointment, and like you, my baby is breech. My OB was awesome, answered all questions, but was super honest in telling me that although she would absolutely do the version for me, she, personally, didn't recommend it and that her success rate was only 40-50%. Also, the risks, although very small, were enough to kind of freak me out and I decided I will proceed with a scheduled c-section instead. My DH and I made a list of pros and cons and we decided that although c-section is obviously a very serious surgery, it is performed enough (20 years of experience with my OB alone) that we were more comfortable with that solution than to risk anything happening to our daughter or having something happen where I would need an emergency c-section anyway. I found an interesting article/study with some info on ECV that I have linked for you. It didn't sway me one way or the other, but I'm a nerd and I enjoyed reading the stats. https://evidencebasedbirth.com/what-is-the-evidence-for-using-an-external-cephalic-version-to-turn-a-breech-baby/ Good luck on your decision, either way. I know it is a difficult one to make. ETA: Keep trying the exercises (my doctor recommended sitting on my knees, head leaning downwards on my forearms, for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day (she said to have husband there in case I get woozy) because I can definitely feel her moving around when I do them! I think my problem is that the fluid to room ratio is just too low for her to successfully flip on her own in there... Sorry about the format--on my ipad. Edited again: Sorry! I totally posted the same article as @NikkiMN143‌! But it is a good one!
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I chose w DD not to do the procedure. There is always the chance baby can flip back to breech. I didn't like that it had to be done in the hospital in the case that baby went into distress and had to be delivered (which is why they do it at 37 weeks)
    For me, dd was born at 36 wks 5 days, so I wound up having to do the c sec regardless.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'd also encourage you to trust your gut, first and foremost. If you are genuinely considering a version, I'd be sure to ask what your specific provider's success rate is. That is really the only statistic that matters!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Baby daddy?

@notchomama‌ this might be the case where it is very fitting

Test
  • Options
    My baby is breech as well and has been for the entire pregnancy. My dr doesn't even offer to do the version because she says the risks out way the positives. I was very set on experiencing labor but at this point I will do whatever is best for my baby, which happens to be a c section. Do not let anyone make this decision for you. It's your body.
  • Options
    khall7109khall7109 member
    edited November 2014
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Options
    Bump
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    My baby is breech as well and has been for the entire pregnancy. My dr doesn't even offer to do the version because she says the risks out way the positives. I was very set on experiencing labor but at this point I will do whatever is best for my baby, which happens to be a c section. Do not let anyone make this decision for you. It's your body.
    I'm curious what she thinks the risks are... Or maybe it's because her practice isn't experienced doing versions? In general, it's less than 5 or 6% chance risk of an emergency CS due to going into labor. But also there could be other factors in your pregnancy that increase it? Take a look at that article posted above. Sorry that you're not able to at least try... But definitely do some of the spinning babies methods too! :(
    I haven't read the whole thread, but my o/b won't recommend an ECV for anyone on blood thinners (as I am, with a breech baby). She told me the risks outweigh any chance it could work. She'd rather I be scheduled for a c-section and able to stop blood thinners than risk an emergency surgery.

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

• Options
    LO changes positions almost daily, and I feel every position change. For most us's though, he has been either breech or transverse, with only one where he was head down. (I have GD so have weekly checks) At this point my dr is still not concerned, since he moves around so much. There is a good chance he could still get into the right position and I've read about babies changing positions on their own even at 38 weeks. After next week we'll see whether CS or ECV would be best. I'm open to either one though. 
  • Options
    designchicadesignchica member
    edited November 2014
    So I have tried: Breech inversion using an ironing board, Hanging upside down on the stairs , Birth ball, Ice on baby's head, Music near my vagina. , Next up: Chiropractic, Hypnosis. It is possible he has flipped , but I'm so confused at this point that I can't be certain. Dr appt on Monday, hoping she can find his head. One thing is certain, his head is not in my ribs anymore. Oh, and his heartbeat is now below my belly button and I might be getting kicks in my ribs now unless I'm wrong, and it's his head and hands up there. Shit, I don't know. I will report back on Monday,
  • Options
    Good luck! I hope he flips for you! My girl is still stubbornly breech...
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"