September 2014 Moms

Tummy time / Rolling over

How old is your LO, how long do you do tummy time each day, and have they rolled over yet?

My LO is 10 weeks and does not enjoy tummy time! He will put up with it for a few minutes (5 minutes max) before getting super fussy. He can lift his head but he has not rolled over yet. Should he be rolling over by now?

Re: Tummy time / Rolling over

• My LO will be 11 weeks on monday. She can hold her head up, but she hasn't rolled over yet. She gets a good bit of chest tummy time, but she HATES it any where else. So we do it for 5 mins max but only like 3-5 times a week
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • DS will be 12w Sunday and also hates tummy time. He has good head and neck control but has not rolled. I haven't even notice him attempting yet.

Not to hijack your post but I have a related question. He plays with toys hanging from his play mat by swinging at them to make noise and will grab a few rings but I think it's more his hand on them.

He has a wubbanub but doesn't ever grab it or snuggle. He also has been trying to get his hands/thumb to his mouth but isn't quite there. Does your LOs grab toys yet? And have good hand/mouth coordination?
  • Loading the player...
  • No to the grabbing toys, yes to having found her mouth. She grabs at my shirt and my hair but not toys....
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • My son is 11 weeks and he hasn't even come close to rolling over. He sucks on his hands all the time and sometimes I think he might be trying to grab at the dangly toys, but he just hits them so maybe he's just accidentally touching them
  • Our dd is 9 weeks and rolled over at 1 week but then not consistently again until about 8 weeks. I will say we do a lot of tummy time (breaks my heart when she cries but I'm following what our ped said doing 5 min 5x a day once home from the hospital). I think I saw 12 weeks is normal? All babies are so different

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Mine is 8 weeks and will roll onto her back to get out of tummy time but I don't think that counts. It's more letting gravity do the work than anything she is consciously doing.
  • 11 weeks here.  She sucks her hands, but doesn't reach for toys.  She just hits them by accident.  No rolling yet either.
  • Good question @JanisBaby14‌. I was wondering that as well!

DS does suck on his fists. He does not grab toys yet. He will swat at toys above his head on his activity mat but I think it's more that he's spastically moving his arms about and the toys are in the path (not that he sees them and hits them on purpose). He doesn't grab toys if I put them in front of him.
  • meg91214. I'm a FTM and have not read my "Your baby's first year" book from my pedi or any other books. And have not had much luck on Google searches lately. And I love reading about S14 LOs progresses and stories to compare. But I know every baby is completely different. But it's helpful to compare or ask :)
  • LO has started trying to "touch/grab" toys after she went through her second leap. She's 11.5 weeks now. She's not very good at it, but hows interest in a couple of the toys I hold in front of her. She will attempt to move either hand toward it. I have also been putting different items of different materials in her hands and let her grab them. She seems to like anything super soft. I don't know if doing all this is helping her develop her motor controls further or not, but either way we both enjoy this activity.

As for tummy time... we definitely don't do enough of it =/ She does get plenty of time on my chest. She has good head control if she turns her head one way but not so much the other way. Hopefully we will get some good tips when we take her to PT next Tuesday.

• Mine is 11 weeks and has been rolling from belly to back consistently since week 5. He really, really, REALLY hates tummy time so much that he rolls to get out if it. I'm an avid baby wearer so he gets plenty of upright time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My guy is about 10 weeks old. We do tummy time every day or every other day for as long as he can tolerate it, which is usually only about 5 min. He spends a lot of time on my chest and getting carried around, so his neck control is getting pretty good that way. Unfortunately, he developed a flat spot on the left side of his skull because he tends to sleep in one position. The pedi is sending us to PT. Sigh.

He has rolled over a couple of times (from belly to back), but only because his body happened to be positioned in just the right way so that gravity did most of the work. You can tell he really wants to flip over if only to make the tummy time torture stop. :)
  • My LO is 8 weeks she rolled over once from belly to her back last week which was most likely a fluke because I haven't been able to get her to do this since. She can hold her head up briefly gets plenty on chest tummy time but really does not tolerate tummy time on her playmat often she has been rolling from her back to her belly occasionally since she was two weeks old but this only happens in her pack and play when she's supposed to be sleeping... She can't grab toys yet but does swat at them if they are on her playmat with her... She doesn't swat at the toys hanging above her
  • No rolling here yet. Tolerates tummy time for only a few short minutes. She sucks on her hand and every now and then she gets her thumb in her mouth and sucks but then it falls out I think the coordination maybe isn't there yet. I can't wait for her to really suck on her thumb longer than a minute I think bed time would be easier if she had a way to self soothe as she doesn't like pacifiers.
  • Haha we rolled early to escape tummy time too, now we always do tummy time on my tummy so I can hold her legs to keep her from doing it. She has pretty solid neck strength because I'm an evil mommy and have been wearing her and propping her in ways to help her develop the strength after I discovered tummy time was her worst enemy.
  • LO is 10 weeks and has not rolled over yet. She can wiggle to her side but that's it. We do tummy time multiple times a day for about five minutes each time. I try to do tummy time for a few minutes after each diaper change and each time she's on her playmat. She does grab sometimes but mostly my hair and her wubbanub. She will sometimes grab at the dangling toys on her playmat.
  • My LO is 9 weeks. He doesn't like tummy time on his mat...I get about 2 min max. If we put him on his tummy he will roll over to his back....but he hasn't done that in a while so I really don't count that. He hadn't rolled over to his tummy yet.

I try tummy time on my chest and it works better than the mat and he seems to have good control.

He has found his mouth but won't hold or grab onto toys. I really hope it happens soon because I really want to get those wubbanub pacis. Just really for my enjoyment because I think they are super cute (I will be honest).
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 10 week old is finally starting to tolerate tummy time for like ten mins - the problem is that he usually won't lift his head unless he's super pissed. He just lays there and coos. He's always had a strong neck so I know he can do it but we end up sitting there till he cries and lifts his head then we quit, lol. He rolled over twice randomly at 2 weeks old then never again...so weird.
  • Tummy time is tolerated for a few minutes here and there. He actually has pretty good head control because I hold him more upright and he likes to be sitting up and carried facing forward or high on the shoulder so he can see what's going on around him. And probably so he can keep an eye out for my 3yo. She's a ball of energy and chaos and he's so calm and cautious. We get good faces when she comes bounding into the room.

No rolling but we have discovered the mouth. He sucks on his fingers and he just recently noticed his feet so he is constantly looking at his feet like he's trying to figure out how to get them in his mouth.
  • LO will be 11 weeks on Tuesday. We try to do tummy time 2-3 times a day, but at least once a day. He isn't a huge fan and gets fussy after 5 mins max. Can lift his head 45 degrees but not really able to hold himself up on hands and has not rolled yet. Sometimes it looks as if he MIGHT be trying lol but no success.

Also, he has found his hands to his mouth and loves to suck his fist if he loses his paci. He will grab onto a ring or thin rattle if I place it in his open hand but doesn't hang on for long. With hanging toys, he occasionally bats at them but it seems spastic and without meaning. :) can't wait til he starts picking up his toys and batting with meaning! (Not to wish time away but because it's adorable)
  • 9.5 weeks old and rolls frequently from his awesome push up he does during tummy time onto his back. The second time he ever did this was to show off to out pediatrician at his two month visit, so it's been about a week. Still no intentional grabbing at toys, though he usually finds something to grasp on me when he's nursing.
  • I do tummy time randomly ,at least once a day , my DD gets frustrated & my DS has decided to lay down and fall asleep a few times during tummy time . I do put them with my hands supporting their neck & back in a sitting position , usually after diaper change to see the neck strength & both have pretty strong necks & head control in this position
  • LO is 8 weeks tomorrow. He gets mad at tummy time pretty quickly but holds up his head pretty well when he's on my shoulder or I support him sitting up. We haven't gotten a play mat yet.
    No intentional grabbing yet, but the last few days he's had fun touching my face. He will hold a rattle for a short time if I wrap his fingers around it. He did find his hands to his mouth but I'm still waiting for him to get the thumb apart from the fist and figure out self soothing that way.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• LO is 12 weeks old. He's not on his tummy as much as he probably should be, but he is still holding his head as is suggested for his age. He has been grabbing at his toys since about 10 weeks and while he has not completely rolled over yet, he certainly tries to with rocking from one side to the other. I don't think it will be long now.

I wouldn't worry if your LO hasn't rolled over - my doc said 4 months is the average roll-over age.

• Mine hasn't rolled over at 11 weeks. Tummy time is a struggle but I try for two minutes at a time at least twice a day but we probably just do once a day.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"