October 2014 Moms
Options

Moms of multiples check in?

I don't know about anyone else but I am struggling to stay sane. 

How are your multiples doing?
Any tricks or tips you want to share with the rest of us?
How old are your multiples and does it seem to be getting easier?

And just for fun, here is the result of our one month photo shoot today.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Moms of multiples check in?

• Options
    @AngnJon I am really impressed you are able to tandem breast feed! When I click on your picture it comes up the correct way but the thumbnail shows sideways.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As usual I posted and was not able to get back to answer my own questions!

How are your multiples doing?
    They are doing very well. Gaining weight which is reassuring. They also seem to have gotten over their congestion finally but still have goopy eyes.  I do find that my girl, Katherine is more demanding. She is my screamer. While Nathaniel is more laid back.  She also eats way more often than he does, but he eats more per feeding.

Any tricks or tips you want to share with the rest of us?
    The one thing that has made our life easier is we bought a small microwave and fridge for the second floor. I keep it full of breast milk bottles and formula bottles for the day and snacks for myself and the toddler.

How old are your multiples and does it seem to be getting easier?
    The twins are 5 weeks and 3 days old now.  Some days seem easier, some harder. DH is working from home so if he is not busy we split the twins and he takes one down to his office while I deal with the toddler and other twin. I do think life will be a lot easier when I stop pumping. It takes a lot of time, but since I can only do it until January I am really trying to take advantage of it to give the twins the most breast milk I can.

• Options
    Glad to see this was started back up! I need tips and tricks :)

My twins are good. Both boys are growing great. We think Kane has a cow protien allergy so he's on a different formula than Silas but both are gaining weight. Right now we are dealing with peely skin but that's it. :)

My only tip is gas drops! I found that putting them in the formula instead of giving it before or after a bottle has worked a lot better.

The twins are 6.5 weeks. It is getting a little easier because we are getting into a routine. I was lucky to have my husband home from work for the first 4.5 weeks and my MIL stay for the week my husband went back but I wasn't able to get on any kind of schedule. Now that I'm home by myself with the twins and a toddler, a routine became essential and everyone is on board :) the boys are about 30min apart on feedings so I can get all feeding done in an hour and have another 2 hours to get other stuff done (diapers, toddler, play and talk, clean, cook, etc) before the cycle starts again.

Kudos for everyone that is breastfeeding or pumping. I tried pumping for the 4 weeks my husband was home but knew I would never have time once he went back to work, and we suspected the allergy in Kane and I don't have the discipline for an elimination diet. I really wish it had worked out and want to cry I'll never know a successful BF relationship. Keep on ladies!!
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Hey ladies- I'd like to join in.

My twins are 3 months actual, six weeks adjusted. They're doing well! Our girl is over 10lbs and our boy is about 12lbs. They eat about 3-4 oz every 3 hours. I'm EPing which is so freaking hard, and we supplement with formula. I'm still trying to get them "back to the breast" but it's tough.. today my boy has been glued to my breast, it feels like, and when he isn't, i'm pumping. It's just easier to give them bottles..

The sleeping has gotten better- they sleep from around 10pm-1am and then until 5am at night. That four hour chunk of sleep is awesome!

No tips or tricks here. Once we started our boy on Zantac, things got a lot better. Much less screaming.

I'm going back to work in one week.. so nervous about that! DH is staying home with them for the next couple weeks until Christmas break (i'm a teacher) and then they'll start day care in January.

I love love love double baby snuggles. :)
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
  • Options
    I'll join! How are your multiples doing? Good! Growing like weeds. I have a follow up for Lucy next week for a slight case of hip dysplasia. I'm thinking she's going to have to wear a sling for a while to correct the issue. Any tricks or tips you want to share with the rest of us? Bottle props have saved my sanity!! How old are your multiples and does it seem to be getting easier? They'll be 8 weeks(!!!!) on Monday. Pic is from right now, all four of my kiddies are sleeping and I'm bumping for the first time in forever
    The triplets are so adorable!  What kind of bottle prop are you using? I am having a hard time with trying to tandem bottle feed and I feel awful leaving one to cry while I feed the other so I end up doing this crazy rotation feeding. Let one eat for a few minutes, put him down, let her eat, put her down to go back to him. 

• Options

My twins are 3 months actual, six weeks adjusted. They're doing well! Our girl is over 10lbs and our boy is about 12lbs. They eat about 3-4 oz every 3 hours. I'm EPing which is so freaking hard, and we supplement with formula. I'm still trying to get them "back to the breast" but it's tough.. today my boy has been glued to my breast, it feels like, and when he isn't, i'm pumping. It's just easier to give them bottles..

The sleeping has gotten better- they sleep from around 10pm-1am and then until 5am at night. That four hour chunk of sleep is awesome!

No tips or tricks here. Once we started our boy on Zantac, things got a lot better. Much less screaming.

I'm going back to work in one week.. so nervous about that! DH is staying home with them for the next couple weeks until Christmas break (i'm a teacher) and then they'll start day care in January.

I am jealous of your sleep! That is amazing that they are sleeping so well for you. Pumping is extremely hard work, and you are trying to nurse too and supplementing! We tried that for a few weeks in the beginning when DH was off work, but once he went back to work I just couldn't manage it with my toddler. So we are pumping/supplementing. 

• Options
    Glad to see this was started back up! I need tips and tricks :) My twins are good. Both boys are growing great. We think Kane has a cow protien allergy so he's on a different formula than Silas but both are gaining weight. Right now we are dealing with peely skin but that's it. :) My only tip is gas drops! I found that putting them in the formula instead of giving it before or after a bottle has worked a lot better. The twins are 6.5 weeks. It is getting a little easier because we are getting into a routine. I was lucky to have my husband home from work for the first 4.5 weeks and my MIL stay for the week my husband went back but I wasn't able to get on any kind of schedule. Now that I'm home by myself with the twins and a toddler, a routine became essential and everyone is on board :) the boys are about 30min apart on feedings so I can get all feeding done in an hour and have another 2 hours to get other stuff done (diapers, toddler, play and talk, clean, cook, etc) before the cycle starts again. Kudos for everyone that is breastfeeding or pumping. I tried pumping for the 4 weeks my husband was home but knew I would never have time once he went back to work, and we suspected the allergy in Kane and I don't have the discipline for an elimination diet. I really wish it had worked out and want to cry I'll never know a successful BF relationship. Keep on ladies!!
    In the NICU they had the twins on a great schedule, they ate 30 minutes apart and had a 3 hour rotation.  Once we got home that all went to hell :(  Our twins are also on different formulas and it makes things interesting trying to make and keep track of which bottle belongs to which baby.

• Options

Glad to see this was started back up! I need tips and tricks :)

My twins are good. Both boys are growing great. We think Kane has a cow protien allergy so he's on a different formula than Silas but both are gaining weight. Right now we are dealing with peely skin but that's it. :)

My only tip is gas drops! I found that putting them in the formula instead of giving it before or after a bottle has worked a lot better.

The twins are 6.5 weeks. It is getting a little easier because we are getting into a routine. I was lucky to have my husband home from work for the first 4.5 weeks and my MIL stay for the week my husband went back but I wasn't able to get on any kind of schedule. Now that I'm home by myself with the twins and a toddler, a routine became essential and everyone is on board :) the boys are about 30min apart on feedings so I can get all feeding done in an hour and have another 2 hours to get other stuff done (diapers, toddler, play and talk, clean, cook, etc) before the cycle starts again.

Kudos for everyone that is breastfeeding or pumping. I tried pumping for the 4 weeks my husband was home but knew I would never have time once he went back to work, and we suspected the allergy in Kane and I don't have the discipline for an elimination diet. I really wish it had worked out and want to cry I'll never know a successful BF relationship. Keep on ladies!!

In the NICU they had the twins on a great schedule, they ate 30 minutes apart and had a 3 hour rotation.  Once we got home that all went to hell :(  Our twins are also on different formulas and it makes things interesting trying to make and keep track of which bottle belongs to which baby.

Obviously I don't have multiples, but regarding the different formulas and which bottle goes to which baby... Have you considered color coordinating the bottles? Katherine could have pink while Nathaniel has blue (or whatever colors you choose). If the bottles themselves aren't colored you could tie ribbons on them once they're washed then just grab one of each color. Or if you have a label maker you could put their names on them.
  • Options
    Glad to see this was started back up! I need tips and tricks :) My twins are good. Both boys are growing great. We think Kane has a cow protien allergy so he's on a different formula than Silas but both are gaining weight. Right now we are dealing with peely skin but that's it. :) My only tip is gas drops! I found that putting them in the formula instead of giving it before or after a bottle has worked a lot better. The twins are 6.5 weeks. It is getting a little easier because we are getting into a routine. I was lucky to have my husband home from work for the first 4.5 weeks and my MIL stay for the week my husband went back but I wasn't able to get on any kind of schedule. Now that I'm home by myself with the twins and a toddler, a routine became essential and everyone is on board :) the boys are about 30min apart on feedings so I can get all feeding done in an hour and have another 2 hours to get other stuff done (diapers, toddler, play and talk, clean, cook, etc) before the cycle starts again. Kudos for everyone that is breastfeeding or pumping. I tried pumping for the 4 weeks my husband was home but knew I would never have time once he went back to work, and we suspected the allergy in Kane and I don't have the discipline for an elimination diet. I really wish it had worked out and want to cry I'll never know a successful BF relationship. Keep on ladies!!
    Obviously I don't have multiples, but regarding the different formulas and which bottle goes to which baby... Have you considered color coordinating the bottles? Katherine could have pink while Nathaniel has blue (or whatever colors you choose). If the bottles themselves aren't colored you could tie ribbons on them once they're washed then just grab one of each color. Or if you have a label maker you could put their names on them.
    We totally do that! Our girl has pink and our boy has blue. we also use painters tape and a sharpie to label them sometimes (like if it's the bottle with the vitamin or something). Painters tape comes off the bottles easily. We have been using two different formulas too- Neosure for the girl to help her gain weight and Enfamil Gentlease for the boy for his reflux. We just decided two days ago to put them both on the Enfamil.. it was just too confusing and one time we accidentally switched them and that led to our boy's reflux being horrible.

Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

imageimage
  • Options

I am jealous of your sleep! That is amazing that they are sleeping so well for you. Pumping is extremely hard work, and you are trying to nurse too and supplementing! We tried that for a few weeks in the beginning when DH was off work, but once he went back to work I just couldn't manage it with my toddler. So we are pumping/supplementing. 
    They are definitely getting better at sleeping, but we still have rough days. Pumping is horrible, but they are terrible nursers, so that's all I can do for now. I go back to work a week from tomorrow, on Dec. 1st, so we'll see how long I can keep this up. They get 8 bottles a day and 2 of them are formula. It's allowed me a little leeway and less stress with the pumping. I still pump for every feeding, so 8x a day, but they're only getting breast milk in a bottle 6x a day. Does that make sense? I can't even imagine trying to manage the twins AND a toddler! Major props to you.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"