VBAC

Successful VBAC after a failed induction ended in C-section

dayzee505dayzee505 member
edited November 2014 in VBAC

Hi! I really only mostly lurk but I really found reading success stories to be so inspirational as I set my sights on planning and preparing for a VBAC for my second pregnancy.  To be honest I wanted a VBAC the minute my first was born by an unplanned C-section.

Where it all begin:

My first DD was induced just simply for be "overdue" by 1 week. My pregnancy was uneventful and everything health wise was fantastic.  I was scared of being induced and I knew in my heart that the chances of me ending in a C-section were pretty high. I really wanted more time but in the end I trusted my OBGYN and they said that they only let pregnancy go as long as 1 week over.  So there I was in the morning, 8 am, one week late to the day, being pumped with Pitocin and having my bag of water broken. 

My body responded immediately and I began to dilate quickly.  I felt the urge to push at 2pm.  Everything went so fast. I labored on my back the entire time and did get an epidural.  Pitocin was a wild ride and very intense almost right away.  After pushing for almost 3 hours, my lil one was stuck and she could not descend. I started to swell and a fever began and before I knew it I was being wheeled into the operating room.  I was so overjoyed to welcome my sweet 7lb 4 ounce little girl but felt a nagging feeling of guilt, sadness, failure.  In the week to follow I knew we would expand our family at some point again and I knew I and to try for a VBAC. I needed that experience and opportunity to see if my body could.

I spoke to my doctor at my 6 week check-up about the option of a VBAC.  She asked why I would ever want that?  A second scheduled C-section would be much easier.  At my yearly exam I asked my other doctor in the practice and he said, honestly you would need to deliver early and have a baby under 6 lbs.  I felt defeated but did not give up.

My VBAC:

I found a new practice..one that was recommend by my local ICAN chapter. I was pregnant with my second when my daughter was 19 months old. I found a doula and I researched and read everything I could about risks for c-section and VBAC, about success stories, about preparing my body..I read everything.

In the middle of the 2nd trimester when my all day sickness had subsided, I walked daily when weather permitted, took the stairs at work, about 3 nights a week did a low impact pregnancy work out with lots of lunges and squats and towards the end in the 3rd trimester I sat on the birth ball and did bounces and hip circles every night while watching TV after my daughter went to bed.  I ate well and a I felt really great.

As my due date approached I panicked that I would not get the chance or that my pregnancy would go to 42 weeks and I would worry and maybe cave. I wondered if my body could go into labor on it's own.  I refused cervical checks until my 40 week appointment which was 2 days after my official date so I really had no idea. 

Then at 11:45pm the night before my due date the first contraction began.  I woke my husband up when they kept coming every 5 minutes or so and he timed them.  By 3:30am I had called my doctor and doula and my mom (of course). They said sounded like things were moving along and maybe I should go in and get checked. My labor progressed very fast but I was convinced I would only be dilated to a 4.  I took a shower, had my mom come over and off we went. By the time we got to he hospital  right before 5am I was in a lot of pain, I was checked and was a very good 9, I could not believe it (no wonder the car right there was horrendous!)....they then said - we have no time for any pain meds right now (up to labor I was sort of undecided but I was certainly leaning towards an epidural).  Then within minutes I felt the urge to push. I panicked and begged everyone I saw for pain meds. My doula finally arrived and tried to calm me down with breathing and reassurance along with my husband who held my hand the entire time as I was so scared. My doctor was so clam and comforting and encouraged me to push through the pain. 

Before I knew it, I was pushing and 15 minutes later out came my beautiful boy, 7lbs 9 ounces (certainly not under 6lbs!).  He was born med free and vaginally. I cried with joy and because of those crazy hormones! It was so validating and amazing.

I am not sure what helped me have my VBAC but I was sure happy it happened.  The recovery especially with a toddler was easier.  It wasn't quite as easy as I would have loved but after it all it was labor and birth ;)  I am so happy I had a supportive practice and loved ones cheering me on. 

Thank you for reading that entirely way too long story.  Thank you for letting me read your stories that gave me the courage to try!

Re: Successful VBAC after a failed induction ended in C-section

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"