May 2014 Moms

Seriously, my kid never poops, even after starting solids

DS started out pooping constantly (like every other newborn), and then it slowed. A lot. Now he seriously only poops once every 2 weeks, and we've started solids! I am giving him mostly pear, prunes, and peaches. No luck. He doesn't seem terribly uncomfortable, but his tummy definitely seems kind of full. He is EBF, and when he does go it's like toothpaste. The doc thought it was weird but wasn't concerned. I remember from DD that it would be a few days between poops, but this seems excessive. Are we the only ones going this long consistently?

Re: Seriously, my kid never poops, even after starting solids

• We're right there with you! It's going on a full week. I just bought some peaches today to try. DD seems happy enough, but I imagine she's feeling it. If she doesn't poop by the weekend, I'm calling her pedi.
  • Wow! That is a long time. My LO is either every day or sometimes goes 2 days without pooping.
    I would definitely speak to the dr again. I don't blame you for being concerned. I would be, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • In the past month or so, my LO's schedule changed.  He'll now go several days in between. He doesn't seem uncomfortable, but his gas is quite smelly.   He's never gone longer than 5 days though.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Wow! Poor guy! DD poops like crazy... 2-3 times per day but I know its normal to go a few days in between. 2 weeks doesnt sound right though.
  • Have you tried taking LOS temp? Not for purpose of fever but to stimulate so LO will push....my pedi recommended it when my own LO went a long time w/o pooping.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • We go 1-2x per wk, kind of a pb like consistency. Longest was 10 days. We ebf + solids as well. What about a little diluted Apple or prune juice?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pedi said to do prune juice and a suppository. We're going to start with the juice and see how it goes.

• Doing the prune juice here too! We will see how tomorrow goes.
  • Same thing for my guy. Bc he is EBF the dr is not concerned. He says it's not how often he poops but what it looks like that is important. We have also started solids and he still only goes every 8-10 days. Every kid is different. My first didn't have any issues until the transition to WCM at 1 year
  • DD hasn't pooped since 2am on christmas morning.  Untill now.  I' don't think I've ever been soo happy to see poop during a diaper change before.  I cleaned up what she had started on, and put her in a fresh diaper, and will change her in a few minutes.  

She's BF with a little bit of solids (1 meal a day).  I finally gave her an entire container of pears yesterday spread out over 2 meals.  looks like it worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"