Working Moms
Options

what blogs do you follow?

I was glad to find there were a few Dr. Amy fans after I posted a link to a post from her blog a few days ago.  What other blogs do people follow?  Am I missing anything good out there?

(BTW, Dr. Amy is at www.skepticalob.com)

Re: what blogs do you follow?

• Options
    potbellypigpotbellypig member
    edited November 2014

**LOSS (not mine) MENTIONED**

I just found this blog, about a women who lost her son 4 days after he was born. She was dilated to 8 cm after a wonderful drug-free/natural labour when his heart suddenly stopped. She underwent an emergency C-section and Landon survived 4 days. She writes SO WELL about how she is coping/not coping with his loss, and what Landon's life purpose was. I have reread her blog many times, I often want to go to the loss board and post about it, but I have no reason to be on that board. (Hint hint, if someone crosses over to that board, please post about it). She also has  an Instagram account with the same pictures/posts. I HIGHLY recommend this blog, it has changed my outlook on pregnancy and parenting. https://ameliakyoga.tumblr.com/

This one is about a couple and their 10 children, 4 of them are adopted, 2 of the adopted children have special needs. One bio child has special needs. She's a Christian and her blog is great and not preachy. I really like this one. https://somehowtherespeace.blogspot.ca/

This one is one of those "perfect" SHAMs who posts perfectly prepared pictures of crafts and things. I follow it because I feel I'm invested, but honestly sometimes I find her whiney and I always wonder how they afford their life because if you read back, he just graduated not that long ago and she's SAHM, and they seem to spend lots of money. I generally fascinated by SAHMs, and I guess this lets me peek into the life of one. I am also fascinated by people who think they needs to overthink their kids diets/schedules/development/education etc and she does all of the above. https://thebreakfastclubrva.blogspot.ca/

I like www.outfitposts.com for what to wear.

Edit because English...derp

• Options
    If my pictures are perfect, it's because I'm a photographer. If you're invested but think my honesty is whiney then please, don't read and share that with others. If you're concerned about my husband's income, you needn't be. His income as an Electrical Engineer for 7+ years with a Masters degree now easily brings home 3X that of what my teacher salary would have. It's one of the best jobs you can have with amazing hours and no overtime. If you're concerned that I over think things about my kids- I don't- I write a blog to get that out of my system and learn new things. I do perhaps over think education. That would be because I have a degree in it and see how important it is. Please, don't spread negativity about my blog. That's my life. That I share for free because I do not make money on it. And please, don't call one of the few honest blogs out there "whiney". 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If she's making friends by sharing about herself then please, don't share about me in a negative light. I'm a real person and feelings get hurt whether I know you or not. 
  • Options
    pbfmottpbfmott member
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    Lol @K3am‌ couldn't have said that better myself. Why do bloggers blog about their lives if they don't understand that it's the Internet and people will have opinions?? @pdfmott please don't ever look at the site get of my internets...
  • Options
    pbfmott said:
    If my pictures are perfect, it's because I'm a photographer. If you're invested but think my honesty is whiney then please, don't read and share that with others. If you're concerned about my husband's income, you needn't be. His income as an Electrical Engineer for 7+ years with a Masters degree now easily brings home 3X that of what my teacher salary would have. It's one of the best jobs you can have with amazing hours and no overtime. If you're concerned that I over think things about my kids- I don't- I write a blog to get that out of my system and learn new things. I do perhaps over think education. That would be because I have a degree in it and see how important it is. Please, don't spread negativity about my blog. That's my life. That I share for free because I do not make money on it. And please, don't call one of the few honest blogs out there "whiney". 
    No offense was intended, so I'm sorry.

I like your blog, I've followed it since you had Hadley. I think it's great that you are invested in your kids, I'm not here to criticize your personal choices or anything of the sort. I just wanted to honestly share my feelings about the blog on here, because I'm not going to just post the link without explaining what I like/don't like about it. If you can't handle reading that I think the blog can be whiny, maybe you should reconsider blogging.

The huge discrepancy between what you put energy in and what I put energy in makes your blog fascinating to me. I'm not putting down your life or spreading negativity about you. I wish I had time to care about what you care about. I do not attempt to dress my kids in super cute outfits, coordinating, latest fashion name brand duds - the cost of that, plus the mess that happens at daycare and my inability to properly do laundry make that a silly thing for me to do. I feed my kids convenient food and food coloring because while we eat generally healthily, I can't be bothered to read and learn about every ingredient in my food. I have a full time job outside of the home that takes too much of my energy and leaves me not caring about caramel food coloring in my pre-bought pie crusts. It just doesn't matter to me. I would never move twice in a year for schooling. Probably a cultural difference, I know lots of Americans who wouldn't blink an eye at this. Not something that happens in Canada. It seems needlessly stressful to me.

Readers of your blog are probably diverse and follow for different reasons. I follow because it's such a different way to think/approach things, and I don't have the time/energy to be invested in the same way as you. Reading about it is as close as I'll ever get. Don't be insulted by that.

• Options
    Thank you for your honest feed back. It's one of many reasons I debate (even out load on the blog) about deleting it regularly. I'm not sure what backgrounds people are coming from when they tap in and read. My posts do not reflect many of the serious things that go on in my life or family because that would be depressing and just not fun to read or write. One of the primary reasons I chose to stay at home as a mother is not even discussed on our blog for fear of hurting family members. My mother has M.S. and my husbands mother suffered from severe depression before passing away last year. That is not be whining but saying that I chose to stay at home back then because I had absolutely no outside help with my kids. No one to run over to my house day or night when I needed them. I think a lot gets lost on the web when reading snippets of peoples lives and I try to consider that when writing but if I've made anyone feel badly I am sorry for that. When our home goes on the market in the spring and we move it will have been two years in this house. We aren't crazy enough to move twice in a single year! I do hope my 'whiney' posts are taken more as me just being real about the fact that life isn't all roses but if they are not, well I tried. 
  • Options
    pbfmott said:
    Thank you for your honest feed back. It's one of many reasons I debate (even out load on the blog) about deleting it regularly. I'm not sure what backgrounds people are coming from when they tap in and read. My posts do not reflect many of the serious things that go on in my life or family because that would be depressing and just not fun to read or write. One of the primary reasons I chose to stay at home as a mother is not even discussed on our blog for fear of hurting family members. My mother has M.S. and my husbands mother suffered from severe depression before passing away last year. That is not be whining but saying that I chose to stay at home back then because I had absolutely no outside help with my kids. No one to run over to my house day or night when I needed them. I think a lot gets lost on the web when reading snippets of peoples lives and I try to consider that when writing but if I've made anyone feel badly I am sorry for that. When our home goes on the market in the spring and we move it will have been two years in this house. We aren't crazy enough to move twice in a single year! I do hope my 'whiney' posts are taken more as me just being real about the fact that life isn't all roses but if they are not, well I tried. 
    Trust me when I say your "honest" posts are not whiny to me at all. I enjoy them and would love more of them, because I love honest blogging. No mom has her sh!t together at all times and it's refreshing (for me anyway) to read about that. It's the occasional subtle complaining about weather or mild stress about minor things that comes across as whiny, admittedly something we all do. I agree that the internet/blogging can distort things. I totally understand the no help thing - same situation here but for reasons of distance, not health.

Anyway, good vibes coming from me to you and your blog. 
    >:D<
  • Options
    This has been very informative for me and I thank you. I think I add in that subtle complaining often out of a need to make myself seem relatable. Most people don't get as excited about decorating a thanksgiving table and I realize that so then I add something about how my day hasnt been so great and that's why I'm trying to get myself excited about the holidays. Anyway, good vibes to you as well :)

• Options
    so.... what other blogs do people like?

I'm looking for new stuff :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had forgotten, but I like money saving mom, too. I've followed her off and on for years. I also like the foodgawker app (I know, not a blog).

I really don't follow much, though. I barely have time for my own life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

If you like antique/shabby chic/refurbished furniture and home decor - you will love this blog! This gal has an actual store in Idaho Falls (where I don't live :( but I have a sister in that area) and she always has CUTE CUTE stuff!

https://morganemporium.blogspot.com/

Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Options

I read a few. 

I like crappypictures.com.  It really is just crappy pictures of her life.  Her boys are about the same age as mine, and I relate to a lot of it. 

Also drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com.  He's a neurologist with kind of a dry sense of humor.  Most of the posts are stories from his office. 

And thelastpsychiatrist.com.  Most of the posts are social commentary.  He has a different way of looking at things, and again funny with a dry sense of humor.  This is one of my favorite posts of his:  https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/07/nobody_will_understand_what_we.html  and this one: https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/11/hipsters_on_food_stamps.html

I will say that he is a bit misogynistic, but he is still entertaining with some great ideas. 

• Options

I like the Pintester (www.pintester.com).  She tries out Pinterest pins, which are often epic fails. 

I also like www.kevinmd.com - it's a doctor blog about varied topics.  They have frequent guest authors, and it's usually pretty interesting.

I keep a blog to promote my work (www.greerplastics.com) but I think it would be fun to have one to talk about my family as well.  If only there were more time in the day...

@pbfmott - I will definitely be checking out your blog.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"