Special Needs

Being Pulled from Academic Subjects for Social Skills?

Question from a friend. Fourth-grade kiddo is strong at science and social studies, so the team pulls him for social skills group during those subjects. Mom wants to know how he's making up the missed material and if that's the only time he can be pulled. Kid likes those subjects and is feeling punished. Is this typical or should social skills be occurring at another time? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
11/10/10 The Kid

Re: Being Pulled from Academic Subjects for Social Skills?

• In our district, it's policy to not pull from "specials," or subjects like gym, music, art, or Spanish.  Anything that's not offered every day and is intended as an enrichment program should not be touched.  That really only leaves Language Arts, Math, Science, or Social Studies for pull-outs.  Since most educators and families see Language Arts and Math as more vital than Science and Social Studies, many pull-outs happen during the later two subjects.  I'm sure Auntie's observation that there aren't any major statewide tests for those subjects also enter into it, but as we discussed in our IEP meetings, it's simply not as important to get on in the world as reading, writing, and basic math.

Most pull-outs only take 30 minutes or so, usually the science/social studies lesson takes longer.  In my kid's place, he either starts the lesson with the class or joins in after his pull-out.  Any classwork that can't get done during that time (or subjects covered) are sent home and we work with him on it.  It usually isn't much, especially since most of the work they do in these subjects is group work.
  • Thank you for the feedback, ladies.
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2014
    You already got some good POVs, but I will add that in CA at least Science IS part of the standardized "high stakes" testing in 5th grade.

Is it a daily pull-out program? Few times a week? I wouldn't want my kid to miss a subject he enjoyed everyday, but for once or twice a week it seems like the social skills group is more important for now. BUT wanting to know how/when he makes up that work is a valid question regardless of if he gets tested or not, because its stuff he's supposed to learn, ya know?

As a former teacher I understand how challenging it is to find time to get kids caught up on stuff they have missed, especially when you have kids who miss different stuff, but by 4th grade there should be chunks of time when the kids are working independantly, so the teacher can at least introduce/give an overview of the lesson. Also, some texts provide web enrichment or audio books that me could maybe use at home or duing independant work time. And if your friend is comfortable with it maybe they can do activities at home to address the ss/science lessons

Finally I would make sure he understands why he is missing what he's missing. That its not a punishment (even though it sucks to miss subjects you enjoy) but because there is other stuff he needs to work on right now.
  • edited November 2014
    Texas is also a state that does standardized testing as well in science and social studies on top of reading, english and math.

Makes me think of the tongue twister from my student teaching days. "Texas loves TEXES, TAKS and TEKS." TEXES=teacher exam, TAKS=student state standardized testing. TEKS=objectives that are covered in a lesson plan/unit/etc.

Though tongue twister is not as fun to say because they changed the student state standardized testing to the STAR.
  • So that the timing of service delivery is denying him access to the general curriculum is secondary to the need for the service? 
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • -auntie- said:
    DC2London said:
    My concern would be the assessments.  What happens when the teacher gives a test, or a standardized test takes place?
    I don't think any state is doing high stakes NCLB testing around history or science at the elementary. This is not a concern.

Generally, if there is a chapter test or homework, the student would be given the book and perhaps class notes to study from and given the test at another time. 

--------------------------STUCK IN BOX-------------------
    In NJ, 4th grade is tested on science on the NJ ASK, along with math and English. Not sure about other states. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • -auntie- said:
    DC2London said:
    My concern would be the assessments.  What happens when the teacher gives a test, or a standardized test takes place?
    I don't think any state is doing high stakes NCLB testing around history or science at the elementary. This is not a concern.

Generally, if there is a chapter test or homework, the student would be given the book and perhaps class notes to study from and given the test at another time. 

In NJ, 4th grade is tested on science on the NJ ASK, along with math and English. Not sure about other states. 
    NJ is no longer using the NJ ASK.  Everything in NJ is the PARCC, and there is nothing but math or English on it, at least up until 5th grade.
  • -auntie- said:
    DC2London said:

NJ is no longer using the NJ ASK.  Everything in NJ is the PARCC, and there is nothing but math or English on it, at least up until 5th grade.
    Not in our district in NJ. Everything is the PARCC, however the 4th graders still have to take the written ASK science section this year, since there isn't a PARCC equivalent yet. 
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"