March 2014 Moms

UO 11/20

Domesticated: 1 Hubs; 2 sons; 3 cats; & Broke

Re: UO 11/20

• Loading the player...
  • I don't like Christmas .:(
  • I don't like cherry pie. I only think there should he home made pumpkin pie for thanksgiving and no weird chocolate pies or anything like that. Just home made pumpkin.
  • S/O from the baby questions...

I guess pretty much everyone here got upset at people asking when they were going to get married? (Or did no one get asked about those plans?)

**Marriage is a private thing too, but I don't see a lot of people complaining about friends and family asking when they are going to tie the knot. **
    Some people never plan to marry. Or they plan to elope. Perhaps their interests lie in the same sex and they are trying to keep it secret, or same sex marriage isn't legal where they live...maybe they are already married, but it's a secret.

• Another reason not to ask when someone is going to have kids is because even when you tell people you are trying and having a difficult time, you get dumb ass comments like: Just get drunk, go on vacation, stop thinking about it, just adopt and then you'll get pregnant. 

Or, the question of if you'll have more and you tell them it was hard with the first: Oh, but if you have one, your womb can open up to having more, or, just adopt next time, just do IVF again. 

I know it's "Conversation starter" but I hate starting out the conversation with: Oh, we had to do IVF and even after that people act like it's no big thing! 

While I really want to bring awareness to the IF table, it's hard when there are people out there that are so consumed with themselves and only ask questions to be nosey and when they don't get the answer they were expecting they say really stupid and hurtful things. 

And, I feel this should go the same way with the whole marriage thing. It's not anyone's business! What if someone has been dating a while, and that is all they think about, but their SO isn't ready for the commitment? It's just a sore subject that really shouldn't be discussed unless you really know a person, or if they bring it up first! 
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• kelley72kelley72 member
    edited November 2014
    NewMomma8 said:

I don't think it's rude to ask someone if/when they are going to start TTC.  I understand there are circumstances with fertility issues and others, but if someone has never TTC before (so clearly they don't know if they are going to have fertility issues), and it's a close family friend, I don't see the harm in asking if they are TTC or plan to soon. 

I know this is not a black and white issue.  I would be more discreet about asking a friend who is older and has been married longer than a friend who just got married and I know for a fact has never tried TTC before. 

ETA:  I actually like when people ask me when we are going to try again.  It makes me happy at the thought of getting to do all of this all over again, especially since I know the next will be our last.  So I'm kind of basing my UO on the fact that I don't get worked up when someone asks me. 

When I was younger I felt very similar, I mean I would never ask a stranger/newly met person, someone I only know casually/co-worker etc; however it would be even more bizarre/rude if I didn't talk about it with close friends and or my cousins/family I see/know intimately.  
    I am much less likely to discuss/ask about with family and close friends now, mostly because I understand more and  that even if I am comfortable discussing my family plans others might not be.  I am more aware of issues and probably more sensitive to other's situations than I was as a young(er) woman.  I was always eager to discuss children and babies in my mid-upper 20's. 
    I think who you ask is dependent upon your relationship with that person. 
    edit spelling and duplication of words, geesh
  • Agreed @NewMomma8  I was always eager to discuss family plans whenever someone brought it up, but I didn't want to be AWWW all the time and recognized some people didn't discuss their plans as openly, so I think it depends on the person, your relationship with them, etc.  
    There were times I may have stepped on some toes, hopefully I apologized and we moved forward.  I can guarantee you I've been asked inappropriate questions in my 42 yrs that were not anyone's business so I can hopefully appreciate / recognize when my interest borders on gawking as opposed to true interest in a person's life
  • linzerdlinzerd member
    edited November 2014
    Rad&Co said:
    My real UO is that I hate the word wicked. I cringe every time I see the something like, "it's wicked cold outside."
    As a native Bostonian. I think your opinion is wicked stupid. 
    All of this.

ETA: So like, is it rude to ask someone "So, do you guys want to have kids?" I'm just trying to grasp what is ok and what's not, since this is pretty much something every single human being ever has to consider.  To reproduce or not? :-?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • I wasn't asked when we were getting married.
    I wasn't asked "when will you have kids" I was told "when you have my grandchildren"

I didn't like that either. I just always said we were never having children ever.
  • Oh and before I even had lo out we were getting "next grandchild" shit.
  • I didn't care so much when people were asking me when I was going to reproduce the second time. However, now, when people ask when I'm "having the next" even though I've told them twice before that my tubes were incenerated.... I just want to smack the fuck out of them. 

• yalllowyalllow member
    edited November 2014
    I found out this is an uo within the people I know.. I think this blog post about this guys divorce is... Wrong.. And as much as he is aparently trying to protect her I feel like he's going a very backhand way to say ts her fault. https://carsontclark.com/uncategorized/39683/announcement_moving-forward Granted.. He stated in a pervious blog post that he deletes comments that don't meet his criteria..
    woah. I could only get through a smidge of his "rationale".... Seems like a lot of BS to make himself feel better.... damn women and their inabilities to communicate. Ugh. 

edit to add: 
    • June 2006: Thought about getting an annulment on our wedding night.

RED FLAG???

• My very good friend had her first son early at 28 weeks and he only survived a few days. Her second son also came early and she had a very difficult time in the hospital with him. She has told me that she just doesn't have the strength to do it again. She joined my group of friends after this happened and most people don't know. She hates talking about it. The only reason I know is because she told me while I was expecting Will and going to be in the same NICU. People always ask her when she is going to have another baby, and I know how much it hurts her. It just hurts my heart for her. If I ever got the urge to ask people about conception plans in the past, I would never now. 
  • @babylimas  About ?14 years ago I went to a friends house for a bunko party, met and talked with the lady's there.  I think I was either pregnant or had just had my 2nd and someone asked about our plan for family size.  I answered and then asked another lady/ them how they had decided.  One woman I had never met talked about that although she only had one living child she had a son who lived (I think if I remember correctly) for just a few weeks.  I said I am so sorry and apologized for bringing it up.  
    She said not at all, it was a blessing to speak of him because the people that knew of his death never brought it up and that made it all the harder for her.  She wanted to keep his memory alive- and loved talking about him.
     I think my point is that is very sweet of you to think of your friend and try ?/might not be the right word, to protect her, but perhaps in time she will want to talk about her child.  The idea of loosing a child is horrible but so, I think, would be the idea of "forgetting".  Now, not wanting to get into an emotional conversation with casual people is definitely understandable.   Anyway too long already so I'll shut up
  • kelley72 said:
    @babylimas  .  
    She said not at all, it was a blessing to speak of him because the people that knew of his death never brought it up and that made it all the harder for her.  She wanted to keep his memory alive- and loved talking about him.

This is the consensus when I speak to people who have lost children/loved ones (hospice social worker).... they love to say their names out-loud, speak about them, and brag about how beautiful they were.

• She talks about him, but she doesn't like to be put on the spot about having more children. She doesn't like talking about what she perceives as her own failings. 
  • Running off the parenting UO:

I love that I got married young (I was 19, he was 24. I turned 20 2 days later). I'm glad my husband & I can grow & learn together, & that we'll be in the prime of our lives when we have a house full of little kids.

I'm also happy thinking about how we'll still be relatively young when we become empty nesters & have grandbabies to visit & spoil.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NanaCook said:

Running off the parenting UO:

I love that I got married young (I was 19, he was 24. I turned 20 2 days later). I'm glad my husband & I can grow & learn together, & that we'll be in the prime of our lives when we have a house full of little kids.

I'm also happy thinking about how we'll still be relatively young when we become empty nesters & have grandbabies to visit & spoil.

I love reminding myself that we'll only be 43 when this lil one is old enough to move out :-)

Lilypie - (rVtP)Daisypath - (hJ7A)Lilypie - (mHiG)

• SurpriseAt39SurpriseAt39 member
    edited November 2014
    talee1989 said:

I love reminding myself that we'll only be 43 when this lil one is old enough to move out :-)

Sounds like you're rubbing it in a little to us old biddies. ;)
    Right @kelley72‌ ? Lol.

I'll be 60-ish when LO finishes highschool. And his grandparents will all be dead. (Because if they aren't, we will have some nasty zombie grandparents)

Edit: fix autocorrected word automatically corrected incorrectly. ;)
  • NanaCook said:
    Re TTC: I think if you're not a sh*thead about it, then it's fine. Like obviously I know better than to ask the lady behind me at Walmart, but asking my BFF, or my husbands BFF's wife? I don't think that's out of line. There's a time & place for everything. People just need to use common sense.
    I agree with this.  When people ask me questions about my personal life that I don't feel comfortable discussing I either make a joke or say, "I don't know." and smile then change the subject.  It doesn't bother me because I know they weren't asking to purposefully make me feel uncomfortable.  I just move the conversation to something else.  If they persist, I start asking them personal questions since we're obviously about to become best friends or something.

• I think my beloved US of A is quickly turning into a nation of wussies :(

also, unrelated to the above and maybe not a UO? but I saw this quote the other day and it kinda goes along with our OU thursdays: 

"The new American entitlement is to go through life without ever being offended".

• yalllow said:
    I found out this is an uo within the people I know.. I think this blog post about this guys divorce is... Wrong.. And as much as he is aparently trying to protect her I feel like he's going a very backhand way to say ts her fault. https://carsontclark.com/uncategorized/39683/announcement_moving-forward Granted.. He stated in a pervious blog post that he deletes comments that don't meet his criteria..
    woah. I could only get through a smidge of his "rationale".... Seems like a lot of BS to make himself feel better.... damn women and their inabilities to communicate. Ugh. 

edit to add: 
    • June 2006: Thought about getting an annulment on our wedding night.

RED FLAG???
    I can't even read this. All I can say is this person takes himself way too seriously & is much too long winded. 

QUOTE FAIL::::

UO? But the fact anyone has to justify their divorce to strangers and community - or even family for that matter is stupid. Just you and the bitch you picked are the married ones. Not the priest, not the pastor, not your Bible, blah blah blah
     Better luck next time buddy. . . 

ps. the next one you pick will most likely be bitchy as well. Because if you write dissertation for every argument you have... well... I don't blame the chick. 

• @NanaCook‌ I like that we will be relatively young when lo(s) are having kids of their own too. My parents are young and I think they like that they will be able to keep up when lo starts running around (at least I know my dad is)
  • I like comments in polls because I like to know who says what hahaha.
    I personally am OK with some people asking about us having kids and totally not OK with others asking. Depends who it is. Because the people I am not OK with doing it are the ones who are just obnoxious and nosey. The ones I am OK with doing it are generally in the same position as I am so its more of a back and forth. I say obscure things to people I don't like asking about it like "We'll just have to see," or "You never know," smiling. Then when they're like "No really," I repeat myself without the smile and move on.
    Mine: I hate holiday episodes of shows.

• NanaCook said:

Sanibel21 said:

I like comments in polls because I like to know who says what hahaha.
    I personally am OK with some people asking about us having kids and totally not OK with others asking. Depends who it is. Because the people I am not OK with doing it are the ones who are just obnoxious and nosey. The ones I am OK with doing it are generally in the same position as I am so its more of a back and forth. I say obscure things to people I don't like asking about it like "We'll just have to see," or "You never know," smiling. Then when they're like "No really," I repeat myself without the smile and move on.
    Mine: I hate holiday episodes of shows.

The bolded: WTF!!?!?!?!??!?!!??!

Do you watch Modern Family? Their holiday episodes are easily some of their best. Who am I kidding, I just love all their episodes. But just watched their Thanksgiving one and it was great. Absolutely great.
    Haha they're just all so predictable. Big meal, typical family drama, something goes wrong, all is fixed by the end. And when they're reruns, I'm just not into it anymore. Modern Family can be the exception to the rule though because its the best show ever :) I haven't seen their this years one yet.

• BabyVDMBabyVDM member
    edited November 2014
    talee1989 said:

NanaCook said:

Running off the parenting UO:

Lol. I was 43 when these 2 were born. So we will just be of retirement age when they are going to want to go to college! Great!

I love that I was able to live and have all those wonderful experiences before the kids were born.

Do confess did start trying as soon as I could though. Just took a long time!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Breast Cancer diagnosis 12/01/2010 - Survivor and Cancer free as of 03/22/2011
    BFP#1 04/12/201
    1 - fetal demise - MC 05/28/2011
    BFP#2 10/14/2011 - fetal demise - MC 12/13/2011
    BFP#3 05/30/2012 - fetal demise - MC 07/23/2012
    IVF#1 02/14/2013 - 2 Beautiful Blasts transferred
    BFP#4 02/25/2013 - BFP - MC and ectopic 03/06/2013

IFV#2 07/02/2013 -BFP#5 - 07/07/2013
    1st Beta 07/11/2013 - 483 (9dp5dt) - 2nd Beta 07/13/2013 1006 (11dp5dt)
    1st U/S 07/31/2013 - TWINS! "The Minions"
    IVF#3 BFP#6 09/01/2015 6dp5dt
    1st Beta 09/05/2015 - 105 - 2nd Beta 09/08/2015 335
    1st U/S 09/22/2015 - .......

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"