Pregnant after 35
Options

Anyone else going back to school while pregnant?

Hi ladies! I'm glad to find a board for older moms here. Im Tracy, and I am 37, expecting my second (surprise) bundle in June. A few months before getting pregnant, I decided to go back to school and pursue a nursing degree (BSN) as a second career. I'm so excited to start nursing school in January, but feel overwhelmed by everything coming at once! Can anyone else relate?

Re: Anyone else going back to school while pregnant?

• Options
    No. Sorry. But congrats! And welcome. And best wishes with school.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to the board :)  Sorry, no school experience during pregnancy here either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had decided to go for my degree in information technology. I found out the I was pregnant with my son (he's 9 now) a few weeks after I got my class schedule. I was working full time during the day and taking classes at night. It was rough but I pushed through. I did eventually have to switch from full time school at night to part time school at night as I got closer to my due date. I maintained dean's list status for the entire pregnancy and graduated with honor roll. It can be done. Just know when to pull back so not to over do it.
    Good luck and congratulations.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate your support and encouragement. Wow dizzie, I take my hat off to you. Nice job! I think I'm a bit nuts for doing this but hopefully it works out. We shall see!
  • Options
    No, but I did a full-time software development internship during my first 2 trimesters. I found out I was pregnant a month after starting the internship. Thankfully my pregnancy was pretty uneventful so it didn't cause any issues. The school semester following my internship coincided with my 3rd trimester and my due date was around the time of midterm exams so I just skipped it. My postpartum recovery was a pita literally and figuratively so I'm glad I skipped that term. I'm going back in January when LO is 3 months old so good luck to us!.
  • Options
    My name is also Tracy, I'm also on my second baby, I'm 36 ... and I decided to start my Doctorate at my grad school alma matter in January (baby due in April).  I also own my own business (I'm a health provider with a private, multi-practitioner clinic and 5 employees) and will be moving to a new location sometime in the beginning of the new year.

The clinic move is unavoidable - my lease is up in the current place at the end of the year and the building is literally falling down and the landlords won't do anything about it, so just about all the tenants have left already.  I had already decided to move before I got pregnant, and as I was working with my real estate agent to find a new location, we came across a large, brand new building where I can build out my clinic to spec.  It will cost more and be more time consuming, but ultimately, I want this to be the last time I ever move -- a forever home for my practice - so it's worth the extra hassle, and all my patients know I am pregnant and willing to help because they are so excited about the new space too.

The doctorate program ... my grad school just announced adding it (it is a newly accredited program, so only a few schools have it) and the first class starts in January for a pretty reasonable tuition.  I was interested but totally thought no way I could handle it ... until I saw that 4 or 5 of my colleagues - close colleagues who were either: in my master's class, or one class above or below me, are all also signed up.  So I thought: I will have a support team of study buddies that won't be available in the future; the price is only going to go up from here and I can afford it right now but maybe not later (they are giving alumni a discount for this first class enrollment); and half of the 22 credits are online courses with no "set" time that I have to log in for class - so I can do the work in the middle of the night when the baby is up or what have you.

I know, it's crazy, but I feel like the stars have aligned and this is the right time.  My husband is in full support, and I talked to my mother who I thought would shake some reason into me and she said: "A doctorate for only that much!  Do it!  You have to do it!"

So I hope my story of craziness helps you feel better about your own decision.  I don't think I would have been able to handle this after my first baby.  He was easy, but as a new mom I didn't have the confidence in myself to handle this much.  This time, I'm so much more laid back as a parent, so I know I can do it.  And you can too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am currently in school and will deliver baby the same week of graduation. Fingers crossed, I hope the baby waits just one more day, May 17th!
  • Options
    Wow! You gals have inspired me! What a strong bunch of Mamas we are. I have been having a lot of doubts and I'm glad I checked back on this post tonight. I'm going for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"