Special Needs

His therapist is leaving

ABA. He's had her more days than not since the start of summer vacation. She got a job with another aba place, but one that won't take our insurance. So, we begin the process of finding a new therapist that's a good fit.

On the plus side, she's extremely local and mentioned being available to spend time with us/Dylan. Not sure if she means meeting up to take our kids somewhere (she has two ages three and under as well) or as a sitter... but honestly all of that sounds good. We're a military family, as is she, and it would be nice to know more people here. Plus D lights up when she comes over, so he will like seeing her also.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~

Re: His therapist is leaving

• Sorry you are loosing her as a therapist but glad she wants to keep in touch!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One of the ABA trainers and the best one said she wanted to keep DS for her studies in ABA and not a peep from her afterwards when we were cut off.

I am sorry! I really do hope you keep in contact with her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry. We lost a really good speech pathologist in EI and it sucked. I think it's worse with ABA because of how many hours they spend with your child. It is nice to have the chance to generalize with someone else, though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • -auntie- said:

I'm sorry.

Sometimes a change can have a silver lining- a fresh perspective and a chance for your DS to become more resilient around working with different people.

It'm sort of confused about spending time together. In what capacity? Maybe it's different in a military situation, but we've never socialized with our team. I run into DS's band teacher at ocal bars more often than I care to admit. And I often send him a beer if I see him first- DS drove him to drink, the least I can do is supply a nice IPA from time to time. But the time DS's psych turned up in my yoga class was not cool.
    Basically we're on pretty friendly terms and will likely either meet up as friends/for a play date with the kids or we might ask her to babysit DS since we know and trust her and know she knows him well. We'll see if it actually happens, but she mentioned it and I'm for sure game.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• That's so great that she wants to stay in touch with you and your DS, but sorry you're losing her. Hope the replacement is just as great.
    DS 10/2012
  • We are a military family as well.  I keep in touch with 2 former and 1 current therapist. Within this last year every single therapist has changed due to therapists taking new jobs or PCS'ing because they were also a military family.  We are on the search for a new neuro because he is moving out of state as well.  :-( 

I hope you are able to stay in touch and that you are able to find a new therapist that fits with your family.  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"