Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Amount of solid food per day?

My son is only 5 months, but already weighs 20 lbs/28 inches long. He has been satisfied with 24-30 oz of formula every 24 hrs. As well as approx. 3 Tablespoons of a vegetable every day (Just started the veggies 2 wks ago). The past couple days he has been acting fussy which is not like him so I have increased the amount of veggies. Doing so he seems happier. Just wondering a baseline of how much solid food everyone else is doing? Or should I increase the formula. Thanks so much.

Re: Amount of solid food per day?

• I think so, but it depends on your child. My son was 8 lbs 10 oz at birth and has always been very hungry. He is comparable in size and will be 6 mths on the 30th. I think he was 20 lbs 29 inches at our last appt.
    He drinks between 36-42 ounces a day, but mostly 6 oz bottles every three hours, but is moving up to 7.
    He also has a morning fruit or veggie and at dinner he has both a veggie and a fruit.
    I would see how he is if you increase the formula. I'm sure the dr would rather see you give him more formula and have him get more nutrients out of that than the baby food.
  • Thanks for your input. I squeezed in another bottle yesterday and he was in a better mood! I'm still wondering about any reference for solid food amounts. Pedi said to start at 2 Tablespoons and work up...just wondering approx. how much other kids his size are eating after the initial intro to say veggies/fruit.
  • Loading the player...
  • At his age I'd stay where you are.  Food for him is just for play and exploring.  When you go back for his 6 mo appt your pedi should give you a more specific examples of what they want him eating.  
  • @ashiscute is right, but since my pist to you before I was trying to figure out how much my son eats. He does cereal with fruit for late breakfast and it's probably 1 1/2 ounces before the cereal goes in. For dinner he has 1 1/2 ounces of veggie and 1 1/2 of fruit. This is a guesstimate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"