Cloth Diapering

Dutch Ovens

So I need a pot that will work on top of the stove and in the oven. Should I get cast iron or one of the colorful (enamel? Ceramic?) ones like Le Creuset-Corset-idontspeakFrenchet?

Re: Dutch Ovens

• I like both, but if you care about easy maintenance, I'd suggest an enameled one.  The pure cast iron ones are awesome and inexpensive, but you can't use soap on them, and you have to keep them seasoned.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another vote for the Lodge pans. We've had ours for about five years and it's in perfect condition. The colors aren't as pretty as the LC, but for the price differential, who cares?

We use ours a lot. You'll love it!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Mapleme said:
    Le Creuset are cast iron with enamel over them and they fabulous and fabulously expensive. Mh and I entered into our marriage with one Le Creuset and one Lodge Dutch oven (which is considered by America's Test Kitchen to be second only to the Le Creuset). They both work equally well and I abused them both mercilessly. The Lodge died after a couple years and the Le Creuset is still going strong. However the Lodge is about 1/7 the cost and I can't imagine that the Le Creuset would last 7 times as long. Through regular use the Lodge will do a grand job. However the knob on the top of the Le Creuset has a higher heat tolerance than the Lodge, but fortunately they're the same size. So buy a Lodge Dutch oven and a Le Creuset knob to go on it.
    Good point about the price difference. I had no idea! My mom's cast iron Dutch oven has a handle rather than a knob. Maybe I can find one like that. I think I'll go order a catalog so that @stoneycakes's kid and my kid will have something to talk about when we have our imaginary friend play date.

• We have two Lodge dutch ovens, and the lids are both made of cast iron as well. I'm guessing they have several different models available, because we got them at different times, and the handles are different. The older one I've had since the late '90s, and we use it quite a bit. It accidentally ended up in storage during our home reno, and we missed it so much DH went and got the second one.
  • pblge said:
    Another vote for the Lodge pans. We've had ours for about five years and it's in perfect condition. The colors aren't as pretty as the LC, but for the price differential, who cares?

We use ours a lot. You'll love it!
    And a 3rd vote.
    I love my Lodge dutch oven.  We use it several times a week.
    Plus it's made in the USA :)
  • TJ, I'm not even going to ask.

• Mapleme said:

TJ, I'm not even going to ask.

Really? That could be fun.
    Then you ask and tell me if it's not too gross.

• I just use my regular copper clad pots in the oven. I've had a few enameled cast iron ones over the years but they were a hassle to store.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TJ1979 said:
    Am I the only one who thought this was going to be about bodily functions?
    That was my first thought too.  I blame having a brother who thinks that all things fart-related are hilarious. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TJ1979 said:

I <3 le creuset everything.

Am I the only one who thought this was going to be about bodily functions?</p>

I love my le creuset. But I got a set for $80 when I worked at William Sonoma. A 5.5 qt Dutch oven, 8x13 pan, cassarole, and grill pan.

They were clearancing out a color.
  • *whispers* Yep, farts. Don't tell Jane, but it's when YH farts in bed then pulls the covers up over your head.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Lalalalalalala. Can't hear you! Got my fingers in my ears. Is it safe to listen again?

• I can't help it but I love everything Le Creuset. We have quite a few pieces (from Dutch oven to soup pot to french press to crepe pan) that we received as wedding gifts 2 years ago and every single piece still looks new - and we use them a ton! You can find them on sale every once in a while. The outlet near us just had certain colors 1/2 off a few weeks ago.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Love, love, love my enamelware dutch oven. So great for braising large cuts of meat b/c you can get a great sear on the outside using the stove top and then put it in a low oven for a few hours. Best pot roast ever. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @missmimsyy‌ so you use a Dutch oven on glass top and it's not a problem? For some reason (don't ask me why!) I thought they couldn't be used on anything but gas stoves..... This makes me very happy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • @kmc84 We have lived in several places that have electric glass top stoves, and no problem using our cast iron on them.
  • Oh I also thought I'd throw in a vote for Staub if you're going the enameled route.  We LOVE our staub oval pan.  Wedding gift, and awesome.  And like @mapleme mentioned about le creuset, TJ Maxx has Staub sometimes too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Companies are silly sometimes.  They make their products in beautiful colors, but then 1 or 2 years after that they decide to change the colors.

If you can catch products being clearanced when they do this you can usually get them for a steal.

This is how I got my Le Creuset set and 3 kitchen aide stand mixers (1 for each sister and 1 for my mom).  The 2 for my sisters were actually because they made a more powerful motor in the 5 qt and people were complaining that it was too loud.  So they discontinued it and brought back the old model.  That's fine with me when I can get a good stand mixer for about half the price.
  • I have a Rachael Ray enamel Dutch oven. I've had it since 2007 and it's still going strong, just a chip or two. But that doesn't effect the way it works. I'm pretty sure they are cheaper than LeCruset.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pretty much *everything* is cheaper than Le Cruset.
  • It only takes a year to kill the enamel on a Lodge if you use it multiple times a week.  I can post a pic of my year old Lodge Dutch oven to prove it.
  • Lodge has enamel?
  • Lodge has enamel?
    Yup.  They have quite an extensive line, actually. 
  • I really gotta get me one of those Lodge catalogs!
  • Le creuset, outlet, color clearance.  If you aren't picky, you can easily get one for 60-75% off.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have an off-off brand Dutch oven - Bella, I think - that my MIL got us for Christmas. The knob was not oven-safe so the directions said it couldn't be used in the oven. I replaced it with the Lodge knob and it's worked great.

It's no LC, and maybe someday I'll get serious about finding one, but I still love my Dutch oven. Pot roast, beef stews, ham and potato soup - all amazing. But my favorite is roasting a whole chicken in it. So, so, so, good. Yum. I feel like the Barefoot Contessa or something when I make that dish in my Dutch oven.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"