March 2014 Moms

Question about selling a house over the holidays

DH was offered and accepted a position the town we grew up in; same company just a new location and job title. We are very excited to be able to raise LO in our hometown closer to friends and family. However we need to move as soon as possible, so we have been scrambling to get our house ready to list. We think we'll be able to have it on the market by Dec 1st, I know that most people aren't looking to buy/ move over the holidays but we don't have many other options.

My question is, would you ladies decorate at all for Christmas? I know we can't do the normal full out Christmas tree and everything, but would things like a wreath on the front door, maybe seasonal candles- stuff like that, make the house look more welcoming or is that just clutter that will distract from the house?

I'm a little bummed out that I can't go all out for LOs first Christmas, I know he won't remember and it's not a big deal in the long run just a bummer.

Thank you in advance for your insight!  

***************************************Child mentioned********************************************

Me 28 DH 32

TTC naturally 05/2011-10/2012= All BFNs

Nov 2012 Jan 2013 Clomid= BFN

IVF #1 scheduled for April 2013 Stims started 04/09 ER 04/19/2013- 26 Retrieved and 24 Fertilized 3 day Fert Report- 10 are 8 cell ET cancelled-all embryos arrested at day 3

IVF #2 scheduled for June 2013 -Transferred 1 day 5 Blast

07/04/2013 HPT- BFP! Beta 10dp5dt-35Beta 12dp5dt-82 Ultrasound 6 weeks 4 days- Heart rate 123bpm!!

image  image

Team Green turned Team BLUE!!!

Baby M born premature at 33 weeks 5 days, he spent 22 days in the NICU before coming home!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Question about selling a house over the holidays

• I think minimal decorating would be a nice touch.  Glad y'all will be able to move home!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I would find a realtor and ask what they recommend.  I would think some decorating would be nice...as long as it suits the space.  If you have a great place for a Christmas tree, I'd put up a tree.  When looking at houses, I always look for where I'd put the tree.  :)  But you might want to keep it less personal and more generic as far as decorating....think like department store display.  More of a classic feeling instead of displaying whatever your personal collection is. 

Good luck!!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Several years ago my (now ExH) H got a job offer on/around Dec 18. He needed to be at the new job (across the country) by Jan 15.
    We already had tree up and decorations up by that point. Our real estate agent did not mention any issues with the decorations. If they had, we would have adjusted.
    We had the house listed and ready for viewing by Dec 23. Viewings Dec 24 (all before noon) then 26 & 27. Offer accepted on Dec 28. Apparently someone really wanted our house or at least into the neighbourhood, so it was dealt with quickly. Only problem was that closing wasn't until May 3.

Let your agent guide you on that, however, you know your neighbourhood. If most people decorate and you don't, your house will look like the sad little house. :(
  • I would do Christmas decorations!

And congrats on the new job!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• We've been working really hard on de-cluttering, we've put everything we don't use day to day in one of those pod style storage boxes.
    There really isn't a good place for a tree in our house, that doesn't required moving a lot of furniture anyway, so I think we'll skip that. But I like the idea of some decorations adding a fairly neutral but not to personal homey touch.

***************************************Child mentioned********************************************

Me 28 DH 32

IVF #1 scheduled for April 2013 Stims started 04/09 ER 04/19/2013- 26 Retrieved and 24 Fertilized 3 day Fert Report- 10 are 8 cell ET cancelled-all embryos arrested at day 3

07/04/2013 HPT- BFP! Beta 10dp5dt-35Beta 12dp5dt-82 Ultrasound 6 weeks 4 days- Heart rate 123bpm!!

image  image

Baby M born premature at 33 weeks 5 days, he spent 22 days in the NICU before coming home!

• We looked at houses around the holidays a few years ago. I really liked when there were Christmas decorations up. I could picture our own decorations and they also made the homes feel more comfortable, if that makes sense.
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• I would find a realtor and ask what they recommend.  I would think some decorating would be nice...as long as it suits the space.  If you have a great place for a Christmas tree, I'd put up a tree.  When looking at houses, I always look for where I'd put the tree.  :) But you might want to keep it less personal and more generic as far as decorating....think like department store display.  More of a classic feeling instead of displaying whatever your personal collection is. 

Good luck!! 

I did this too when looking at houses.  But I would definitely take the tree down very quickly after christmas (hopefully it will sell before then), but I think minimal decorations before christmas would be nice, but you could probably leave up stuff that is general winter.

But I also think it is a little silly to not buy a house based on the sellers personal items.  I won't buy a house if there is too much stuff I don;t like that costs a lot of money to fix (tile, wall paper everywhere, old cabinets, etc) but I never understood not buying a house because you don't like the way the current owners decorate.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Congrats! I wouldn't decorate at all. The less junk, the better. Then the house will feel/look more spacious.
  • Thank you ladies for all the advice and personal experiences! I think we'll go with just some smaller simple decorations.
    It made me a bit nervous that a few of you said you always check out where a tree would go when you look at houses cause there just isn't a good place here, and I have a feeling that will be on the buyers mind even more with the timing.:-(

Me 28 DH 32

image  image

• I agree with PP's - decorations, but very generic and minimal. lights lights lights! it's all about lighting. get as much of your stuff/furniture out of the space as you can, clean it spotless, and put up a wreath. a few nice candleholders with large candles here and there (think kitchen counter, island, bathroom vanity).

I wouldn't do a tree, any large decorations, or have wires/cords anywhere.

• I would decorate, just not go crazy if you normally do. We sold over the holidays and fully decorated. It also gave the place more charm, at least I felt. And we go the offer we accepted over Christmas week, so it worked for us. We had a tree, wreaths, garland, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"