Breastfeeding
Options

Extended BFing Check-in

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year.

1. How old is your LO?
2. How many times a day does your LO nurse?
3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?
4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like?

Non-breastfeeding question of the week:
What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?)

Re: Extended BFing Check-in

• Options

1. How old is your LO? 27 months
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? 3
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? Planning on child-led, but a few months ago I started setting limits on session length.
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? No- DS mostly outgrew it on his own by about 18 months.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) Still listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt on audiobook-- it is loooong. Really enjoying it, but I'm about 3/4 of the way through now, and I'm worried about how she's going to manage to satisfactorily wrap everything up. 

• Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    She will be 3 in March

If I'm home all day, probably around 12. On days I work, usually about 8. I'm not exaggerating, this girl loves to nurse.

3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?
    I'm letting her self wean. I'm due with baby #2 in May. I would love to tandem nurse, but she will be just over 3, so who knows where she will be at. The only thing that would change this plan is if nursing starts to cause preterm labor.

4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like?
    No. Phew. We night weaned and sleep trained at 18 months. Is went a lot better than I thought it would. We used the common technique of telling her that "mama milk is sleeping and it won't come out till the sun is up".

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?)
    I haven't read an actual book in so long it's embarrassing. :( as in, before my daughter was born. And even then it was probably a silly young adults fiction novel. Haha.

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. DD is 16 months.
    2. She nurses 2x a day morning and evening.
    3. No plan on weaning. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and she's still interested in nursing so perhaps tandem is in my future.
    4. Night nursing is rare. She prefers warm WCM now. I would like to stop those too as I am worried about cavities.

Non nursing question: The last book I read was Tina Feys Bossypants in September. I wish I had more time to read.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?  26 months

2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? 4-6 on average

3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?  I would like for it to be child-led, but I think we'll start trying to get pregnant in the summer and I don't want to nurse while pregnant, so we'll see.  I could see her being like @lauranicole91 's daughter.  She really enjoys nursing and shows no signs of stopping.

4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like?  Yes.  It decreased in frequency, but it still happens at least once a night.  We bed share, which is probably part of why it's continued.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?)  I also have not read a book in forever.  The last book I read was Catching Fire.  Or was it Most Talkative by Andy Cohen.  I'm not even sure anymore.  I would like to read the Andy Cohen Diaries in the very near future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. 25 months
    2. 2-3 on weekdays and 3-4 on weekends
    3. Well I expected to have weaned by now, but we are still at it. At this point it'll probably be child-led if he does it before three. Otherwise I'll probably gently push him around 3.
    4. He stopped waking to nurse at night around 9 months or so if I remember right.

QOTW: I'm currently 're-reading "Theory of Interest". I know you are all jealous.

image imageimageimage

• Options
    1. How old is your LO? 15 months

2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? 5+ He's been wanting to eat more and nurse less this past week, which would be great if he didn't want only yogurt and eggs. Eat some fruits and veg kid!

3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? Is he chooses to wean before two I would be ok with that, otherwise I will evaluate my feelings about when he turns two.

4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? Yes, he nurses to sleep and usually one or two MOTN feedings. I am not sure how I will approach night weaning, I am kind of hoping he will night wean himself. I might implement something if he is still doing this at 18 months or so.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) I miss reading. Just textbooks lately. Last book I read for pleasure was re-reading The Shining.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?  17 months
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse?  2, morning/wake-up and bedtime
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?  So far child-led.  I am willing to reevaluate at some point though if I don't feel like it's still working for us.
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like?  No, she actually started STTN on her own pretty early and has continued with just a few minor regressions (usually when sick).

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?)  I am reading the second Outlander book, Dragonfly in Amber.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?  17 months
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse?  4
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?  Child-led, no cut-off date as of yet.
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? It's on and off. We co-sleep so sometimes she will wake up and want to nurse. Hoping that will end once and for all.

What book are you reading right now? I don't really have time to read. But I do watch and LOVE The Walking Dead. :)
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO?
    14 mo
    5-6
    Child led. No cut off date in mind.
    Yes. Last week she was STTN and this week we have a cold plus teething and she's up 3+times and wants to nurse. I'll roll with it tol she's better then try to get her back to 0-1 wake ups if possible.
    I recently read the partial draft of Alternate version of Twlight from Edwards perspective. It was actually pretty good. Free downloads online.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• Options

I hope it's ok if I join in - I've been a lurker on this board since my LO was born (August 2013), and it's been so incredibly helpful.  Recently, I've been getting lots of questions/comments recently about the fact that I'm "still" BF'ing and love to see other mommas who are as well!

1. How old is your LO? 15 months
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? 2x a day (first thing in the morning and bedtime)
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? No specific plan at this point.  DH and I agreed to assess whether we want to try for #2 when LO turns 2 in August 2015.  If LO is still nursing at that point, and we decide to TTGP, I will likely wean.  Until then, I'm happy to continue if LO wants to!
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? No, I haven't nursed at night since LO started STTN at 6 months old.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?)  Nothing right now - I can't seem to find the time!  I am looking at some toddler development books, though.

• Options
    Deciding to join in on this group...

1. How old is your LO? She will be 15m on the 22nd
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? She nurses every morning, and also when we are home together, she will nurse off and on...more of a snack. Also we nurse if she wakes in the middle of the night
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? I have no plan to at this time. I will let her decide. Some days she nurses a lot, other times, its just in the morning. 
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? I never nursed her to bed once I went back to work at 8w, so she was always on a bottle. She weaned from the bottle at 12m on her own. She will nurse if she wakes up in the middle of the night though

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) I am just about to finish the last book in the Game of Thrones series...I am actually about 2 chapters from finishing. I am not sure what I am going to start on next...

• Options
    @bunnyfer

welcome!

as a suggestion for your next book, i'd recommend the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss. :)
  • Options
    vvvvvfee said:

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year.

1. How old is your LO? 17m
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? Twice a day.
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? No real plan for weaning, but I plan to TTC next summer, and am not sure what I'll do if I get KU.
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? No. We night weaned around 13m. We just had DH take her first wake-up, and then had him take any wakeup before 2am, then 3am, etc. now she generally sleeps from 7:30/8 to 6:30/7.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) ugh, I've had a mediocre run of books lately. Last really memorable one was The Night Circus - that one was really good!

• Options
    vvvvvfee said:

@bunnyfer

welcome!

as a suggestion for your next book, i'd recommend the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss. :)

Ooh, I second NOTW!
  • Options
    1. 20 months
    2. On demand; maybe 5-6 throughout the day and O/N
    3. Child led all the way but it took me a while to get to the point where I can say that :)
    4. We nurse on demand 24/7
    5. I just finished a Julia Child Bio. It was good. The last GREAT book I read was Dune. The last bad book I read (Technically I couldn't finish it) was Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.
  • Options
    1. 14 months ( 15 months on Wednesday )
    2. 5-6 times on average
    3. I am not sure. I am getting a lot of pressure to stop. I have some concerns about it becoming increasingly difficult to wean. Our current goal is 18 months. We will reevaluate then.
    4. Yes. If he would night wean that might make a huge difference for me
    5. I am listening to the newest Shopaholic book.
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? 13 mo
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? 3-4 during the week, 5-6 on weekends
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind? Not quite sure yet. We will re-evaluate how things are going at 18 months
    4. Do you still nurse during the night? If not, what was your night-weaning process like? Usually 1 overnight feed, sometimes STTN

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) Nothing, currently.
  • Options
    I hope it's okay if I join you guys.  I have never done extended breastfeeding before, so I am figuring it out as I go.

1. How old is your LO? 12 months
    2. How many times a day does your LO nurse? Two times during the work week, 4 times on the weekends
    3. Do you have a plan for weaning? Will it be child-led or do you have a cut-off date in mind?  I have no idea.  I didn't intend to go past 12 months, but it is working for us.  That said, my friends and family seem to clearly be against breasfeeding after 12 months.  Many of them have made comments to me about how relieved I must be to be done breastfeeding.  I will do what is best for me and my family, but it does make it a bit awkward.
    Not sure if it counts.  His morning feed is around 5:00ish, but then he goes back to bed for an hour or two.  I don't nurse him again until before bed in the evening.

What book are you reading right now? (Or what's a book you've read recently that you would recommend?) Does People magazine count?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"