Cloth Diapering
Options

Help! My wash routine sucks

blue_elleblue_elle member
edited November 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I'm having trouble with my wash routine and could use some advice. I'm struggling with finding a routine with enough detergent to clean well, but not so much it requires multiple washes to rinse clean.

I have an LG HE front loader. I use Tide Original powder, line 1. Typically 2 days of diapers. I tried less, but there was a faint unpleasant odor left behind. I set my machine for prewash (cold), hot wash, heavy soil level (for extra agitation time), water plus to add extra water in each cycle. I can't choose both water plus and extra rinses, so I run a short water only cycle after to rinse.

I'm still getting soapy water drops that are visible on the pul of the wet bags, so tonight I ran a full 2nd water wash instead of the short wash. Sadly that didn't do the trick, so I'm now running 2 additional rinse only cycles. That's 3 hours of washing!

I don't know what to do beyond continuing with crazy numbers of rinses. Like I mentioned, I tried less detergent and the load definitely did not pass for clean. What else can I try?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: Help! My wash routine sucks

• Options
    tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    edited November 2014
    I ignore the bubbles. no issues.

• Options
    blue_elleblue_elle member
    edited November 2014
    @charmingthemoon‌ I *think* my machine is always cold on the prewash, but I can certainly try a speed wash in warm rather than the programmed prewash.

So you're saying the warm prewash may be more effective, then I could get away with less detergent?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does your prewash drain and spin?  I know my prewash does not.  It just adds extra time onto the wash.  If your diapers are not getting an initial rinse/drain/spin or light wash (without detergent) you are washing your diapers in pee and poo water.
  • Options
    @charmingthemoon‌ I've been doing the programmed prewash

@abby8279‌ I assumed that it drains fully after the prewash, because that just made sense to me, but I'll look into it

• Options
    Also check to make sure that adding extra water to the wash cycle isn't adding too much water. You could also try removing the wet bags and making sure they emptied between the main wash and a second wash/rinse. I know mine are notorious for holding water so I remove them after the main wash.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Stop using the programmed prewash. My LG has a "speed wash" setting. I use that for my initial rinse (warm) and have no issues. I think you may not be getting the pee/poo out effectively with that programmed pre-wash cycle.

FWIW I decreased to 2 tbsp of Tide and don't get the soapy water in my wet bags anymore and things still get clean. It may not be enough for you depending on your water, but perhaps the prewash is the problem rather than the amount of detergent.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'll try out the warm speed wash for a prewash tomorrow night.

• Options
    Ok, I did the warm speed wash for a prewash, then hot wash with line 1 Tide for 3 days wash. It took 3 rinses (preprogrammed) to rinse to no suds. Total wash time down to about 2 hours, so moving in the right direction. This weekend I'm going to try the same, but with less detergent to see if I can cut down the rinses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"