Attachment Parenting

Worried about sleeping....

Hello everyone! I lurk on this board but have never posted. So hello! I am in need of some advice. I have a DD that will be 2 in a couple weeks. I'm also 29 weeks pregnant. We bed share and I have been attempting to transition my daughter out of our room and into her own before the baby comes. I honestly don't think that she is ready to be on her own yet. As much as I would love her to be anytime we get her to sleep she wakes up screaming like she is having a bad dream or is terrified. We transitioned her bed to a toddler bed at first and now she has a full size in her room in the hopes if we laid with her until she fell asleep she would be ok. Last night was the first night in that bed and she woke up 2 hours after falling asleep screaming. I went into her room and laid with her . She wouldn't let go of my hand. When she finally did I snuck back to my room only to have her wake up 2 hours later screaming. This time I just let her come to my bed and she slept solidly for the rest of the night. My concern with keeping up the bed sharing is when the new baby comes and wakes at night how will this affect her sleep? We have the PNP set up right next to the bed so I can get to him fast but will it wake her as well? Anyone have any experience or advice with this? Am I just overthinking this and she will be fine? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I appreciate any advice that can be given. Friends and family don't understand and just tell me I need to keep putting her back in her bed and make her deal with it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Worried about sleeping....

• My boys are 19 months apart. DS1 slept between DH and I while DS2 slept just next to me, in the bed but we do have a crib side-car for a little extra room. Amazingly, the kids rarely woke each other up. For us, the issue more became the volume of parental wakings with two night-wakers not at the same time, so DH and I would often divide and conquer mid-night with he and DS1 on a floor bed in the other room and me and DS2 in my bed.

Starting at age 3, DS1 needed to gradually transition to sleeping alone (laying with him would result in 2 hours of him flopping and harassing us), but we addressed it when it became actually problematic, which I think is a much less stressful approach than assuming things are problems before they actually are. Making that mental shift has been a new thing for me, but it has served our family well so far. He does still often come in with us mid-night whereas DS2 now tends to sleep in his own floor bed through the night, but that really reflects their different temperaments. There's no right timeline other than what works for your family unit!
  • We switched DD over when I was about 30 weeks pregnant. Do you have a night light in the room so when they wake it's not entirely dark? With DD, each time She woke up we would rock her and put her back down once she was asleep. Sometimes I was so tired of going to her room that I'd let her sleep in our bed again. But every night i would lay her down in Her bed. It took a couple weeks but she finally started sleeping through the night. Just keep with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • we are in the middle of transitioning our 3 yr old into her own bed. i want to get it done before baby #2 comes so she doesn't think it's because of the baby that we are moving her.  We have a night light in her room, the hallway bathroom, and our bathroom so if she wakes up, her path to our bed is partially lit. right now we let her choose where she wants to sleep and let her come to our bed if she wakes up in hers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"