High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Intro and GD

Hello, ladies.  I come from March 15 and I'm 24 weeks pregnant.  I was diagnosed with GD about a month ago and am worried about my diet and thought I'd check in with y'all to see how others are coping.

So here's the thing: I'm very heavy (300 pounds) and whenever I low-carb it, I lose weight rapidly.  I've lost 5 pounds since I started my GD diet.  I'm doing my best, but if I eat more carbs my damned glucose level jumps :( and when it jumps, I exercise to burn it off because I don't want it to get to my baby.  The result is my body just isn't getting enough and I don't know what to do. 

I eat and eat and eat TONS of protein and fat.  Yet every week, the scale drops another pound.  At this point my baby is supposed to be growing rapidly.  Do you think he's getting enough?  Is anyone else dealing with this?  How do you manage your weight?

Normally I'd be delighted to lose weight but I was told to maintain, not lose.

Re: Intro and GD

• Options
    I also have GD. From what I have heard from others and their convos with their Dr...is that it is ok to lose weight. I haven't gained any weight from the moment I was diagnosed around 24 weeks. I am now 31..almost 31 wks and my total weight gain so far is only 6lbs. I had actually lost some weight when I first got pregnant due to ms. 
    From both of my recent u/s, my baby is growing right on schedule!
    But talk to your Dr if you are really concerned. They will see your weight loss when they weigh you. 
    Hope this helps some!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options

Many thanks to both of you!  That is reassuring.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.  I figured losing a few pounds wouldn't be the end of the world and I know he's growing just fine (he was 1 pound 9 oz. at my 23 week appointment so he was actually measuring ahead).

So of course it freaked me out that he's getting TOO big but my doctor assured me it's normal for the baby's weight to fluctuate in early months.

After all the time I spent worrying about TTC I never realized how worried I'd be when I got pregnant!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You said you are "very heavy" - I don't see how losing some weight is an issue??  Especially when you are improving your diet.  YOU are losing the excess weight - not your baby.

• Options
    You said you are "very heavy" - I don't see how losing some weight is an issue??  Especially when you are improving your diet.  YOU are losing the excess weight - not your baby.

Thank you for kindly pointing that out.

Regardless of your pre-pregnancy weight - even if you are as heavy as I am - you are advised to *not* lose any weight.  It's linked to a lower IQ and that freaks me out.  Like I said, under normal circumstances I'd be thrilled to drop a few pounds because I know I could stand to lose it.  But if it's at the detriment of my child I'd rather stay the same weight if I can.

• Options
    Thank you, @tricia560 - it really does help to hear from women who have BTDT.  It's nice to know what to expect later in my pregnancy!  So far it's been okay but I'm 25 weeks now (still have 15 to go) so I realize there's plenty of time for things to get worse before they get better.  Glad I can at least monitor my glucose so I know what's going on every day.
  • Options
    Yeah what @tricia560‌ said. As of last week (32 weeks this week) my numbers have dropped a bit. To the point that I get dizzy and see stars. I learned I have to drink OJ to help raise them some. Which is nice since I've been craving it and not been able to drink it at all.
    The GD nurse would tell me to watch out for my numbers going up but never told them they could go down.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    I just met with my nutritionist for GD, I tested all day today and my numbers are great tonight is my first test with a holiday party tonight so we will see how it goes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    starla487 said:
    Are your docs concerned with your weight loss? Or how baby is growing? If not, then I wouldn't be. Granted I'm a petite type 1D, I didn't gain my weight until the last few weeks of the third Tri.
    Nah, they weren't concerned.  *Ideally* I'd stay the same weight but if that's not possible it's probably better to lose than gain at this point.  I want my baby to be a normal weight, you know?  That's what matters to me most :) Even if I suffer a little bit (which, lord, have I suffered not being able to eat as much cake and cookies as I want.  Or even chug a huge glass of milk.  I love milk so much).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"