Multiples
Options

How long into pregnancy did you work?

I'm 23 weeks with gg twins. I have been on leave from work to try to rest up and see if I'm feeling any better. Tomorrow I have an appt to discuss my next steps and if I should go back. I have been reading a ton about the every pregnancy is different and to listen to your body and you will know what is right for you and your babies.
I am very overwhelmed by it all. I feel like if I am honest with myself, staying home to rest until the girls arrive is probably in our best interest, but I'm not sure how to let go of my work responsibility. It's as if I am letting people down (everyone including my boss told me to stop being rediculous). 23 weeks just seems super early to be taking leave.
Any advice? What did you do?

Re: How long into pregnancy did you work?

• Options
    MKateGMKateG member
    edited November 2014
    I had a similar situation, I am an RN and was working on a med surg unit (very strenuous and stressful). I ended up going on light duty at 22 weeks but ended up resigning at 24 weeks. I felt that my co workers and boss thought I was being "overly dramatic" about how I was feeling. But I really just didn't feel like I could do it anymore and the last thing I wanted to risk was going into preterm labor. Even though my cervix had had no changes thus far (32wks) I feel that working was just too much on me. Although, I hated leaving my job, I can always get another one. BUT nothing can replace my babies and I would have never forgiven myself if I had tried to continue working and something happened. But I say listen to your body! It doesn't matter what your co workers, boss, or even doctor say. If you feel like you're body is saying stop then stop and don't feel guilty.

Edited: grammar
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Options
    I'm an RN, I got fired at 28 weeks. I will be 30 weeks Tues and am glad I dont need to work anymore. If I am not wearing my support belt, I cant even stand for an hour! Maybe 23 weeks feels early.... but everybody is different and you have got to take care of those babies! :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went off at 28 weeks. I don't know why you are off now, but I didn't have any "problems" other than being pg with twins. I know my boss didn't really buy it, but oh well. I'm convinced it's why I'm still pregnant (38 weeks today actually). I had a few scares before I was off work with lots of contractions and haven't really had the same since. If you are having medical issues, I wouldn't feel bad about going off now.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I worked up until my water broke at 35 wks 3 days. I'm a principal so am on my feet a lot and stressed. Maybe it's why I went a little early. Thankfully mine only spent 9 hours in the NICU and are healthy now. I didn't find it unbearable but I sometimes have a ridiculous pain tolerance so it may not have been smart.
  • Options
    My water broke at work at 34w. I have a desk job that is stressful but not strenuous.

I finished up a huge project around noon and my water broke at 445pm. Same thing happened w my singleton - I finished a huge project (different situation) and my water broke 4 days later.

My job is pretty specialized, so no one to step in while I'm out - my coworkers picked up my slack while I was out on mat leave. I didn't want to burden them more than I needed to. Plus I'm incredibly stubborn.

• Options
    I was taken out of work @ 20 weeks due to stress @ work causing high blood pressure. My doctor appts are every 2 weeks until next month when they will be moved to weekly. My doctor really wants me to have every chance of making it to 36 weeks. We opted for no stress in place of adding bp meds to my long list of pills & injections. Get some rest & just do what is best for you & your babies:)
  • Options
    I am a retail manager. Very busy and on my feet, lifting all day. I stopped working at 28 weeks for no other reason than my body wasn't having it anymore. I also think that's why I have made it this long also (36w). I say listen to your body.

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• Options
    MissEm15MissEm15 member
    edited November 2014
    I went on hospital bed rest at 26w & will not go back to work once I get out. Up until then tho I was working & walking & really living normally bc I'm still comfortable. Listen to your body is all I can say.

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I was on desk duty, worked up until the day before I went in / was induced (36 weeks).  I was lucky that I had it pretty easy for work.  I did sit out on snowmobile training and several other trips out to the field by the time I was 4 months.  The pressure on my bladder and fear  of loss precipitated those days that I opted to not be part of the more arduous part of my job.

• Options
    I planned on working till 30 weeks but unexpectedly ended up on hospital bedrest at 27 weeks. Now home on bedrest until delivery. I was getting super uncomfortable so honestly not too upset I had to leave early.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Planned on working as an outpatient physical therapist till the very end but looks like I'm only making it 31 weeks (last day was last thurs)
    TTC 2 years- Me and DH (28) with (severely) low sperm count- less than 40 total (last 2 SA showed only 5 and 6 sperm each)
    IVF #1: ER 1/23/13- 4 eggs retrieved, 3 eggs fertilized; ET with 1 embryo 1/28/13 2 frosties beta #1 2/5 was 4.8- beta #2 2/7 3.5; BFN
    FET #1- transferred one beautiful 4AA embie. Praying this is my take home baby. Beta 5/7/13- BFFN!!!
    IVF #2: ER 7/17/13: 6R/3F- transferred 1 blast and 1 10 cell embryo 5dt.   Beta hell.  #1 2.5, #2 2.2- BFFFN! REALLY?
    IVF #3: ER 12/1 and only 2 retrieved.  1 fertilized with ICSI.  Was planning on transferring one fresh and one frozen....fresh was only 14 cells at day 5...CANCELLED and devastated due to 5cm blood filled cyst in ovary and blood in uterus.
    IVF #4: Antagonist protocol with endometrial scratch day one of stims.  ER 4/21: 6R/4M/3F- transferred 2 beautiful blasts (5dt) and one was hatching!  No frosties but hoping we won't need it!  Beta 5/4/14- 444(8dp5dt), Beta #2 10dp5dt 1002!  THIS HAS GOT TO BE IT!!!!!!!!!!  First US 5/15 we saw two of the most beautiful gestational and yolk sacs I have ever seen!  
    ****FINALLY PREGNANT WITH DI/DI TWINS!!!!!!!  

BRINLEY AND RILEY LONG.  Born November 20, 2014 at 32 wks 3 days.  4lbs7oz and 4lbs5oz.  1 month NICU time for "B's" and growing and feeding.  Now healthy, thriving, beautiful little girls!
     imagehttp://i62.tinypic.com/2dl9ap0.jpgpghttp://oi61.tinypic.com/o7t1y0.jpg

• Options
    I worked as a retail manager so I was on my feet a lot throughout the day and I decided to quit at 32 weeks. I had no issues at all, I was just tired and sore from waking around all day so I decided to take it easy. I made it 6 more weeks to my scheduled csection. I probably could have worked longer but I was just ready to be at home getting ready for the babies. Do what your body feels is right. You don't want to over work yourself and good luck!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to school and worked both full time until 24 weeks. Work was an hour away, school another hour away, then an hour home. At 24 weeks I started studying at home and only went to school for exams.

At 28 weeks, I was taken off work. I'm just five feet tall and gained 20 pounds at that point. I had a desk job, but I had a long walk to my desk, my legs and feet were swelling, and couldn't sit for very long at all. I had to leave work a few times.

My bosses were super understanding. They knew when I was going through treatments and I told them early on I'd probably be off work at some point. They all agreed that the safety of the babies came before anything else.

I spent the next 10 weeks on my couch, finishing up classes and sleeping. I didn't go anywhere except to my mom's or to turn in projects to school.

One doctor laughed at me when I told her how hard it was to be at work. I went to another one in the office the next week who works with high risk patients and most of the twin pregnancies, and she was understanding. She knew what I was going through and didn't have a problem writing me out based on what was going on.

If you are expecting to get short term disability, be warned that there may be issues. It took me 6 months to get mine approved and I was back at work at that point. I wouldn't have worried about it, but HR said technically they'd have to fire me since it would all be unexcused absences.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I worked until 38 weeks. I work as a NP, on my feet in a busy practice. Delivered huge healthy boys at 38w2d
    Me:35,  DH: 39   
    TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
    8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
    10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
    3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
    4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
    6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
    8/13: FET #1= BFN
    10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Options
    Around 30 weeks give or take a couple weeks, I switched to part time. I might have gone longer, but I was at a new job that was more stressful then I expected and was having lots of bh. Since I went part time so early I was able to continue working till the day my water broke at 38 weeks.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    I worked as a middle school teacher til 32 weeks. I had my twins one week later. I was done with work. It was exhausting the last couple weeks. I wish I hadn't toughed it out as long as I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"