Chit Chat

Learning to quilt?

Any quilters out there? So I'm a busy mom and work part-time too. I don't have much experience crafting (or sewing) but I am really wanting to find a new relaxing hobby and I am really good with fine motor type stuff. I did teach myself how to knit a couple of years ago but I guess I'm bored with it. All of a sudden I've decided I'd love to teach myself how to quilt (I'll buy books and youtube). I don't have a sewing machine and I don't want to invest a lot of money in one just to experiment with quilting. I kind of want to experiment with hand quilting but would this be incredibly frustrating and unrealistic? I wouldn't mind if the project takes a really long time to complete but if it's really hard to learn and become decent at as an inexperienced sewer maybe it's not worth it. Or should I forget about hand quilting and just experiment with a lower end sewing machine?

Re: Learning to quilt?

• I am not a quilter, so I can't offer you specific advice on that, but JoAnn Fabrics offers classes. I'm pretty sure they have machines available for use. You could try that to see how you like sewing with a machine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do some simple quilting and have taught myself via Pinterest tutorials, YouTube, and blogs. You can do hand or machine quilting. I prefer machine for my quilting because my hand stiching isn't nice. Hand stiching is my worst craft area.

I also have only ever done large quilts and hand stiching would take a very long time. My last quilt was the size of a full size bed and was our wedding guest book.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love quilting and have been making baby quilts for my friends (I am still TTC). I enjoy hand quilting a lot. I usually use te machine to make the quilt top though as it has lots of straight lines. You can also avoid sewing a top together if you buy a piece of fabric that is a scene - baby quilt size is common to find various designs.
    I live in NYC and love the City Quilter on 25th street and 7th ave. The selection of fabrics is incredible. And like any true quilting store you can buy by the quarter yard. They have tons of classes. I am in an ongoing monthly called Dear Jane which is a ridiculously complicated quilt that after working on you are called a Goddess. No joke. There are conventions dedicated to "Janers" as we are called. For fun, google image a Dear Jane quilt.
    I also took a hand quilting class and loved how simple it is. It helped to know what my teacher recommended so I could buy supplies right there.

For hand quilting you need to use a thin batting. I use Quilters Dream brand. You need hand quilting thread (is stronger/thicker). A leather thimble to push the needle through. Very small thin short needle (to turn tight stitches) and a plastic tube frame to make a tight area in which to work.

Both hand and machine quiltin you need to baste the quilt by laying down the backing, taping it to your floor or dining room table, then layer of batting, tape, then your top, tape. Then use a long darning needle to baste (huge stitches) with a bright thread. Make an X and then a grid.

For the edges there is a technique for machine/and appliqué that j use.

It is best learned with a class as I said you learn the method of your teacher and can buy supplies there.

I also learned some knots and needle tricks that are priceless.

Enjoy and watch out it is addictive!!
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • Thank you all for your thoughts. I think I'm going to try a very basic baby quilt by hand and see what happens. I found the most adorable fabric and will definitely post a picture when I've made some progress.
  • Wow! Those Dear Jane quilts are amazing!
  • Way behind on checking this board! Here is a pic of my dear Jane pieces as of earlier this year. I've been averaging about 1-2 / month. Only 50 or so left! :/
    An another one, much simpler baby quilt.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • I've been quilting for a few years now and absolutely love it.

I do all my piecing on by machine but started on a really basic sewing machine. All you need is something that stitches straight lines really.

I also machine quilt, but have a few quilts I intend to hand quilt this year, just because of their size. Putting a large quilt through a sewing machine to quilt it is hard work!

My advice is to start out small with a baby quilt or a playmat, just to have a play with the concepts and get your head around how it all comes together. Once you've got the basics down, you just expand on your comfort zone with each new quilt until you're doing all sorts of fantastic things.

Any questions, just yell. I'll try my best to help you with answers. : )
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Photos please @lilmrslay ! I need some inspiration. I buy so much awesome fabric but get stuck when it comes to design for the top.
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • Check out the craftsy class quilting quickly. It is sewing machine based but teaches you how to quilt quickly and simply. The instructor is from Missouri quilts and I just love their patterns.
    BFP - 10/28/2014!

EDD 7/13/2015

Ultra Sound 12/2 @ 8+1 measuring 8+4

• Thanks for all of your thoughts. Finally I have a picture to post! I used a charm pack (precut fabric that matches) to make the easiest quilt possible. I hand stitched the whole thing and taught myself on YouTube videos. Definitely a slow process but I really enjoyed and needed a calm activity like this. I have only completed the top so now I am still learning how to baste, bind and quilt. But I am really glad I gave it a try. I'm making it for my almost 2 year old daughter. image
  • I also saw those videos from Missouri quilts and I agree it was a really helpful first step.
  • It is so easy to make quilts. When you have a time, and you find someone in your area they will be happy to help you. I own a business Patchworks & Designs Company, wear-it-today.com so I do a lot of embroidery & sewing & gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"