Stay at Home Moms

Window Treatments/Cellular shades for kids' rooms

We have been remodeling and need to get window treatments for the kids' rooms. Two have nothing and one has corded blinds that I don't feel are safe. I'm on the verge of ordering but can't decide for sure what to do! Had decided to get cordless cellular (honeycomb) shades. I started out thinking room darkening, but it's SOO dark that way that I don't really like it. I like some light to filter in so kids don't always just feel like it's the middle of the night. So then I was going to get the regular, light-filtering. The color is very light so this will not provide much shading, really. So now I'm worried again that it will be way TOO bright. 

The baby's room would be very bright for afternoon nap (south facing windows), but DD2 is in there now and seems to be doing fine. 

DS's room is north-facing and under a porch overhang, but it still seems to get some kind of low direct light in the early morning. He also would get headlights if we have parties or anything and people are in and out of the driveway. Rest of the day is OK. 

DD1's room has blinds right now. Windows on the west and south. 

What did you do/what do you have? Thoughts?  The shades are so darn expensive that I hate to make the "wrong" call and regret it!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Window Treatments/Cellular shades for kids' rooms

• My boys are very affected by light so we have room darkening blinds... the darker the better. Then they have a very very dim nightlight. If they didn't have that they would never go to bed at a decent time in the summer and they would be up at the crack of dawn.
  • I don't like cellular shades. We have some and they really haven't held up well to kid use. I prefer blackout curtains. Target has lots.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the honeycomb cordless with room darkening in all bedrooms. Otherwise my kid wouldn't sleep. I live them! I personally don't like curtains, I like a clean, modern look.
  • We have the honeycomb cordless with room darkening in all bedrooms. Otherwise my kid wouldn't sleep. I live them! I personally don't like curtains, I like a clean, modern look.
    This is exactly what we have in all 3 bedrooms and have really loved having a dark place to sleep, especially when we "spring forward" and it feels like it's still light out at 9pm! ;)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I would do some sort of shade and then black out curtains over the shade to give yourself some flexibility. I'm not sure the cellular would hold up well to kiddos, though. In the boys' room I have an inexpensive black out roller shade custom cut to size from JCPenny and these curtains from Amazon. Generally I prefer floor to ceiling curtains, but with kids I make an exception and they hang about 6 inches below the bottom of the window.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have regular blinds (with cords) and blackout curtains for kids rooms.
    I never thought of the blinds as unsafe, maybe because our windows are not super close to the floor and I tied the cords up high so DD would't pull them in play. She can't reach anything so I can't see how they could be dangerous.
  • I have blackout cordless cellular blinds in DS's room and I'll be getting them for the next LO as well. I like that I can make it really dark for nap time. When he's not asleep, the shades are up to let in the light. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"