Parenting
Options

Anyone follow the Serial podcast?

it's the first podcast I've ever listened to! I want to discuss. Long shot, but any other fans?

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv

Re: Anyone follow the Serial podcast?

• Options
    I came across it earlier today but I haven't started listening yet. How far are you?
  • Options
    It's from NPR. It's hosted by this news reporter. She was contacted by a friend of someone who is in jail for the 1999 murder of his girlfriend. The friend asks the reporter to look at the case, as she believes her friend was falsely convicted and the lawyer threw the case on purpose (the lawyer had been disbarred for taking bribes subsequent to this case). The reporter is fascinated by the case and has broken down all the evidence, interviewed the witnesses, etc to figure out if this person is guilty or innocent.

It's like dateline but somehow better.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also it's true, in case that wasn't clear.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    True stories are my favorite. I'll probably start listening later tonight.
  • Options
    I keep wondering how far they are on the case. Like do they solve this? On the podcast? No spoilers!

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I have a friend that recommended this to me. I'll start listening to it tomorrow. It seems really interesting
  • Options
    Oh DH will love this. Hopefully we can start listening tonight! Thanks for recommending!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    Omg. I AM OBSESSED! Did you know there's a crazy reddit out there where people talk all about it and share their theories?

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Options
    Also, this is a good article:

https://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/serial-podcast-theories-adnan-jay-hae/

(I guess spoiler alert? Kinda?)

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Options
    I've listened to all 8 now. Hooray for pumping time and long commutes. I'm mostly concerned about accidentally reading the answer online, if it even exists. I wonder if they'll do another one when this one concludes.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I'm obsessed too! I've listened to all the episodes. It's really fascinating how we're conditioned to think investigations and trials are all neat with lots of evidence and in truth everything is so much messier. If you don't want to spiral don't under any circumstances go to the serial subreddit.
  • Options
    Lurker here, but I'm totally hooked on this podcast.  I am an avid This American Life listener, so I've been listening to Serial since they aired the first episode on TAL.  The lawyer/friend of Adnan's who brought the case to Sarah Koenig's attention (Rabia Chaudry) also has a blog called Split the Moon.  If you can get past the annoying ads, she has an interesting perspective and adds some additional information.  I've also read some of the reddit stuff, but I'm a little intimidated by the volume of posts on reddit, so I haven't read much there. Sarah Koenig also did an interview on The Gist (a Slate podcast) where she essentially said she doesn't know how the story will end because they are still gathering information.  The podcasts are only being recorded about 4 days ahead of air.

Today's episode (no spoilers) wasn't as revealing as I was hoping, but more than any other made me wonder what really happened and will we know by the end of the podcasts.

• Options
    LOVE this podcast (I'm too am an avid This American Life listener).  Thursdays are now the best.  The last two episodes, especially last week's, have been the best.  

I know I'm going to be mad when it's not all-Law-and-Order with a neat and clean ending (clearly that cannot happen given it's a real life case, and you can't just undue an already appealed court case if he is innocent...). 

Also the plan is to create a new serial based on a different case/story every season.  
  • Options
    :D
    I actually was a bit disappointed by episode 11. I'm hoping they are saving something interesting for the finale.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    theseawordtheseaword member
    edited December 2014
    Neighbor boy was an attention whore I think. I don't think he knew anything. Although he said the pool hall stuff, right? I think that might be true. I think best buy is bullshit, so maybe Adnan did really meet jay at a pool hall with the body.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options

And why the fuck was Adnan so concerned about whether or not Jay got Steph a birthday gift?
    "Dude I got your girl a gift, did you?"

HELLO?? Wut??! Can we pay more attention to that please, SK?

I think that was a lie and he lent Jay his car and cell phone for drug reasons. Birthday present seemed a little far fetched to me.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I think Adnan did it, so I think the Nisha call was him. It is a big problem for his case, for sure.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the "unsubstantiated" story is that she referenced? I know she didn't say it on the podcast, just wondering if it was online somewhere.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am on episode 8. Catching up!!
  • Options
    CFox815 said:

Does anyone know what the "unsubstantiated" story is that she referenced? I know she didn't say it on the podcast, just wondering if it was online somewhere.

Are u talking about the most recent episode when she said there were rumors about Adnan?
    Yes. Where she tried to get more from the guy that just said he was nice.

• Options
    Just listened to episode 1. I scrolled past anything after Tlex mentioned the thread was resurrected because it
    Looked like spoilers! Let me know if it wasn't spoilers and I'll read more
  • Options
    I think I'm going to check this out after I get the girls to bed.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • Options
    OMG. I'm all caught up and fully obsessed
  • Options
    Link!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    If I'm not around for the next while.... You know where to find me
  • Options
    I need to re listen to it all.

I need to know all the things!!!!
  • Options
    That was supposed to be "yanno," and not "Yank." Thx autocorrect.
  • Options
    I'm intrigued. I haven't heard about this podcast before this, but it seems worth a listen.

I have to drive a million hours on Monday, so I know what I'll be doing!

• Options
    I just started listening to episode 1 while I do my paperwork at work on a slow Sunday. We will see if I get hooked or not. Probably will....
  • Options
    I am 20.10 in to the first episode. This Jay kid...Don't like em AT all! Something is fishy with him. This is my first impression. 
  • Options
    I feel really badly for Adnan after only listening to him for a few short minutes. I see I will be getting 0 real work done today. 
  • Options
    CFox815 said:
    I keep telling my mom to listen to it. She's an attorney and she used to work in the DA's office so I think she would enjoy it. Maybe I'll tell her to lay in bed with me and be quiet and we will listen to all of them together today. That wouldn't be rude, would it?
    DO IT!!!

• Options
    Cambury108Cambury108 member
    edited December 2014
    I feel really badly for Adnan after only listening to him for a few short minutes. I see I will be getting 0 real work done today. 
    It gets more complicated as you listen to further episodes. This site made me seriously question the criminal Justice system. I guess I watch typo much L&O and think things are a lot tidier than they are IRL.
    I am only at the end of the first episode and about to start episode 2 and I am already like you and questioning the justice system. The lack of forensic evidence, the Asia letters about the library and the timing....Just WTF!!!!! How did a jury of 12 of his "peers" convict him? 

ETA: I liked their FB page here is a link https://www.facebook.com/serialpodcast

I am totally sucked into this..........Goodbye Life!
  • Options
    I am 1/2 way thru episode 3........Because I know you all care ;)
  • Options
    I am only on episode 4 so I don't have all the facts yet, but I read thru that timeline and I don't buy it. Sorry. Right now I am on team he didn't do it. I reserve the right to change my mind but as of right now I disagree with you. 
  • Options
    I'm team "he did that shit"

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I'm surprised she never asked for a plea like he wanted. Isn't not doing that illegal or against regulations or something??

I think Jay is more involved than he says he is. The CI theory holds a lot of water in my mind right now.
  • Options
    I will be able to listen to the rest of 4 and then 5 and 6 for sure tonight at work.

My feeling is that as a jury member you have to BEYOND a reasonable doubt say yes he did it. Im basing my guilty/not guilty based on if I would have been on the jury. At this point I couldnt lay my head down at night and not have doubt.

I will let you know if my feelings change @Caer
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"