Chit Chat
Options

Sewing machines

I currently have a basic Brother machine:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Everyday-stitches-including-Buttonhole/dp/B000EOX28E/ref=sr_1_3

I'm thinking about upgrading to a mid-level, something in the $300-$500 range (or higher if there's a good reason).

My main reasons to upgrade:

- foot pedal sensitivity/responsiveness: my current one seems to have 2 speeds: not moving and super fast.  It takes awhile for me to ease it back down to slow and it's pretty annoying.
- handle thicker layers of fabric
- auto button hole (4-step is kinda painful!)

I've heard that the more expensive machines just feel better and have a lot of shortcuts to speed up sewing, less manual steps.  I don't know that I'd use all of the fancy stitches they come with, but who knows?

Does anyone have a more expensive machine they'd recommend?  Or features I should look for?  I'm planning on trying them out at a sewing machine shop this time, but it'd be good to know what you guys use.

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sewing machines

• Options
    I like my janome. It is not expensive but I like it better than my expensive Pfaff and it is made well.

I guess what I am saying is that I reccomend the janome brand? I bought my machine for sewing corsets so it is tough (when sewing corsets sometimes one may accidentally sew through plastic or metal and while a needle may not be saved you don't want it to ruin your machine so it needs to be built to take a hit or two).

The foot pedal is sensitive and I can do slow or fast and anything in between. I hate my four step button holer an even though I mod'd the foot I still break needles on it. But that is my one complaint. It has all metal parts (something rare since the 1980's) and it has never needed repair in the six years I've had it despite my ameteurish maintenance skills.

To be fair my pfaff is from the 1970's and it just needs a little more getting to know than my user-friendly janome but the pfaff is worth $300 even vintage and the janome was bought new for just over $150.

I think if you know what you are looking for you don't have to spend a lot to get a good machine. The only reason thy I would spen over $300 I if I wanted to do embroidery and pay for all the tech to do custom images and all that. fWIW I could have spent under $250 to get an upgrade and a one step button holer janome (along with a few other features) instead of the one I bought but button holes were not important to me at the time so I saved some money and bought the tb12.

Happy shopping!
  • Options
    I also have an older Janome, a basic manual model. It is a great machine and quite affordable compared to other name brands. I would definitely test drive a janome with the extras that you want. They are sold on Amazon, but my local dealer sells them for the same price, plus gives lessons and gives a warranty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a brother innovis that I purchased from a local family owned store. Before I bought it in January, I had been using a basic singer I received in 98 as an 8th grade graduation present. I can't even begin to explain how much I love my new machine.

Speed control up top and no need for a peddle, easy bobbin threading, serger stich (no serger yet), needle threader, etc. I love all my feet and just how much better I feel all my projects look so much better. I now wish I had spent the extra money to get the letter stitches since LO has arrived. I had friend make her a burb cloth, bib, and blanket and they all have her name on them in thread. It looks so nice and would be great for me when I send her to daycare.
  • Options
    I love my 1919 treadle singer machine. The only thing I wish it did is a zigzag zag so I could see knit fabric. It's more powerful, more reliable, and quieter than any electric machine I've ever owned. It also has *precision* speed control with the for peddle. Not to mention it is lovely to look at. You could find a beautiful old work horse to do all the straight stitching and just do the specialty stuff either by hand or electric as needed. You will save a bundle in tune ups as well, mine is super simple self service.
  • Options
    I started out with a cheap singer that I hated so much I would go to my moms house to use her huquavarna Viking machine. That thing could do no wrong! With that said, I love my brother xr1355. Wasn't very expensive, got it on sale at Costco even. Variable speed & pedal, drop in bobbin (all I've ever wanted), tons of stitch settings including little designs and letter (never used them yet though), and like 8 different button hole settings. I think it was less than $200 in the end. I've made a corset, quilt, baby clothes, costumes, through pins, and so many other things without even breaking a needle. LOVE.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"