July 2015 Moms

VBAC/Home/Natural birth anyone?

taschultztaschultz member
edited November 2014 in July 2015 Moms
First pregnancy ended in c-sec.
2nd was in successful hospital VBAC (with unnecessary and traumatizing interventions, but hooray for success!)
Now with this pregnancy I am going through a midwife (with a birth coach and my friend who is a massage therapist to attend the birth) to have a water home birth. (IF everything goes according to plan. Fingers crossed.)

Anyone else?

Re: VBAC/Home/Natural birth anyone?

• I'm still waiting to get my test confirmed at the OB today.
  • Good Luck! Good thoughts for good news :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning on going to a Birthing Center so that I can have a water birth. It'll be my first child and my first time being pregnant so we'll see how it goes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a home birth for my first. We're deciding if that's our plan the second time around, mostly for financial reasons. I think home birth is amazing, as long as you are in close proximity to a hospital. I hope you get the pregnancy and birth you're hoping for!
  • My second was a home/water birth, and we'll for sure be having this one at home, as well. My first was a med free hospital birth and, while it wasn't a bad experience, it was in no way close to the amazing experience of my second. I've been looking forward to doing it again!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Last pregnancy I went to a birth center...that was literally across the street from the hospital with a top rated NICU. 

I ended up transferring to the hospital because my water was broke for more than 12 hours and he still wasn't here yet. Had some complications towards the end and thankful that I was at the hospital. This time around it'll be a hospital birth from the get go.

Don't know what state you're from but you may have a problem finding a doctor/midwife to do a home birth after vbac. Every state has different laws and regulations about that stuff.

My twin sister just had a very nice natural VBAC at a hospital. (meanwhile her midwife from previous births just went to jail for not having all her certs done and tragically lost a baby.)

Do your research, interview care providers. If you're doing midwife/doula always always ask to see certifications.

In the end, you know what is best for you. Best of luck.

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had a natural hospital birth with DS and would love to do a birthing center or even a home birth if it was an option where I live...but it's not.  So planning to go natural hospital again this time- will try to stay home as a long as possible though.

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a midwife with my first. We planned on doing a home birth, but I ended up high risk so I delivered in the hospital. I did have an emergency c-section.my second was an elective c-section. Since this is potentially my last I want to attempt a vac. If it doesn't work out oh well. The end result is what I am most excited for.
  • Natural birth with a midwife at the hospital for me, just like I did with DD.  I had a wonderful natural birth experience and the comfort of being at a top-rated hospital just in case. In the end DD was fine, but I lost a lot of blood and we were very grateful to be at the hospital.  Given my scary experience, I'll definitely be sticking to a hospital setting.

BabyFruit Ticker 

• If it's only one I really want an unassisted birth. I may consider a midwife at a natural hospital if things pan out ok. Not sure if it's more.
  • We are thinking of doing either Hypnobirthing or Bradley Method (still doing lots of research) but it will be at a hospital. Good luck with your plans!!
    This signature is all for YOU. I'm on mobile and can't see crap.
    MMC EDD: 1/5/2015  D&C: 5/31/14
    MC    EDD: 4/21/15 Lost: 8/24/14
    BFP for my Rainbow!! 11/6/14
    EDD: 7/20/15

• My first (DS) was a medicated birth, an epidural that didn't work and nubane IV drip ( horrible stuff!) I hoped for a natural birth but I got so sick and dehydrated from throwing up I just wanted relief and it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect. My two daughters though! The labor was so fast, 4 &3 hours respectively. Both my daughters were born 15 mins. After arriving to the hospital, my last one was born in triage! I hope this baby comes just as quickly and I hope to have a home birth... Who knows I might not even make it to the hospital in time lol. If it's a hospital birth I like keeping it just like the last two, getting there just in time to push :)
  • I want to have a natural birth if at all possible but I will be 100% in the hospital. I'm a NICU nurse and we get called to scary deliveries with no risk factors all of the time. And I've seen more than one uterine rupture in VBAC mommas. Scary, scary moments! Or baby comes out with something wrong and if we weren't right there down the hall that baby wouldn't have lived. Not worth the risk for me. I realize the risks are very small but they are there and bad things do happen sometimes, and it could be to me. Wouldn't be able to live with myself if it was and something happened that could have been prevented. Good luck with whatever you choose but do consider the risks of a VBAC home delivery. 
    Love 2010 / Marriage 2013 / Baby carriage EDD July 4th 2015
    BabyFetus Ticker
    imageimage

• CALEO said:
    Natural birth with a midwife at the hospital for me, just like I did with DD.  I had a wonderful natural birth experience and the comfort of being at a top-rated hospital just in case. In the end DD was fine, but I lost a lot of blood and we were very grateful to be at the hospital.  Given my scary experience, I'll definitely be sticking to a hospital setting.
    This is exactly what I will try for. (Minus the scary at the end). Any tips for a natural birth @JuneBug0611‌ ?
    I think it's helpful to take natural birth classes.  We took the Bradley method classes, and while I didn't buy in to everything they were saying, it was helpful to learn some strategies and particularly some body positions to use to help with labor.  We also hired a doula, who didn't end up being all that necessary given how fast active labor went, but was a nice support to have.  Really critical was that DH was totally on board -- possibly moreso than I was!  He went to the first Bradley class alone because I was traveling, and when we talked that night, he told me, "I am 100% committed to a natural birth." Which is funny coming from the person who's not going to be in all the pain, but it was cute too!  Our midwife was totally on board too, and didn't look at me like I was crazy when I gave her a copy of my birth plan... she said everything on it was very standard for her practice anyway, but it was nice to have that conversation in advance.

Going into it I planned to have the natural birth, but I also gave myself the out that I wasn't going to feel like a failure if I decided I wanted the pain meds or if I had to have a c-section. That helped too - no pressure. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• This is my second child and we are doing a home birth with a midwife. First one was in a hospital and I almost died due to the doctor's neglect...loooong story. Excited for a different experience and bringing my baby into the world in a calmer, less harsh way than my last kiddo.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • I hope to VBAC. Sadly home or birth center isn't an option. :-(
    Me 31 and DH 37
    Married January 2009
    Naturally conceived October 2010
    EDD 7/10/11
    PreEclampsia induction at 35 weeks
    Son, Indiana born 6/16/2011
    Started TTC #2 December 2011
    3 chemical pregnancies
    medicated cycle Oct 2014 BFN
    IUI November 2014 BFP on 9pdiui
    boy/girl TWINS!
    EDD 7/27/2015
  • If it's only one I really want an unassisted birth. I may consider a midwife at a natural hospital if things pan out ok. Not sure if it's more.

Wait, unassisted as in an unattended home birth? With no OB or midwife at all?
    Oscar Leopold 4/2009
    transluscence
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mei&MeiMei&Mei member
    edited November 2014
    redaero said:
    If it's only one I really want an unassisted birth. I may consider a midwife at a natural hospital if things pan out ok. Not sure if it's more.

Wait, unassisted as in an unattended home birth? With no OB or midwife at all?
    **** She will be attended by the Mother Earth. There will be fireflies and moonbeams guiding her baby through the birth canal.

Ooh, yes. I believe I've heard about that! I also heard that dolphins make excellent midwives as well. Bonus water birth!

Eta links.
    Oscar Leopold 4/2009
    transluscence
  • I hope to have a natural birth with a nurse-midwife with a free standing birth either at the birth center or at home. I would love to do it at home but my husband is a little nervous about doing it at home for the first. If I have to compromise a birth center isn't a terrible compromise.

Oh, and I am a nurse and I do understand the risks of birth, but I also understand the risks that can come with interventions. I also live in a very urban area and both my house and the birth center are fairly close to a hospital
  • My first ended in a c-section too.... Not sure what I want this time.... I'd hate to go through 2 days a labor just to end up back in surgery.....
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm hoping to do a home birth. I live minutes from a hospital. No birthing center in our area. Problem is the only nurse midwife in our area is employed by a local hospital. Still exploring options. There are some WAY crunchy doulas ect in our area and I think I'll stay clear of them. This is one of the few times I'm jealous of people living in bigger cities. There are so many more options when there is are large city around.
    Where there is love, there is life.
    -Mahatma Gandhi-

!*All Welcome**!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Happily Every After: 05/22/2009
    Me 28  The Tower Climber 27
    NTNP Since January 2014
    BFP #1- Nov 10, 2014 EDD July 19, 2015 MC Nov 20, 2014 (5wk 4d)
  • I'll be a VBAC. My first delivery had some issues which lead to an emergency c-section.
    This time, I'm really pushing for a water birth with my midwife. I'd hoped to do it in a birth center, but apparently Washington state won't allow that. My options are hospital or home birth. I have a lot to say on that issue, but not much I can do so I won't! :p
    I can't wrap my head around a home birth. I feel like I'd just be thinking about laundry and dishes. So hospital and birthing tub is the current plan!
  • We are planning a vba2c home birth with #4. I'm not really to worried about being at home delivering with a midwife if we need to transfer there are multiple hospitals minutes from us. Plus we will be hiring the midwife so if she isn't a match we can interview a different one that does. If I was with the ob my insurance covers each appointment would be a new strange doctor or midwife and I would be lucky to know the one that comes in to catch the baby at birth in the hospital. That's way to many strangers over the next few months making me another number.
  • I would like to try natural, but in a hospital. My DH or I would never be comfortable with a home birth.

I considered a birthing center, but there are none in NJ so we would have to drive an hour away to either DE or PA for every appointment and it just didn't seem practical.
    Me - 26 
    DH - 27

TTC #1 since July 2014
    BFP! Oct 18, EDD July 2, 2015

It's a GIRL!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • If I had it my way...water birth, or at least water labor! I'd love to do natural, but I just really don't see it happening! Both my mom and my dads side have strange labor issues, so I'm just going to go to the hospital to be safe. Oh and home births are illegal in Alabama, so there's that tidbit for you!
    Married DH 1/5/13
    BFP #1 4/29/13 Chemical Pregnancy 5/6/13
    BFP #2 7/30/13 EDD 4/12/14
    MMC@9w (found out at 10w) 9/15/13
    D&C 9/16/13
    Started trying again 2/17/14
    BFP #3 4/19/14 Chemical Pregnancy 4/21/14
    BFP #4 8/18/14 EDD 4/25/15
    Began Lovenox 8/18/14
    Heterotopic Pregnancy- Interuterine MMC@6w 8/28/14 
    Found Ectopic 9/16/14 Lost Right Tube
    BFP#5 11/8/14 EDD 7/21/15 Ovulated from Right Ovary!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Vbac mom here! I will be going to a very vbac friendly hospital with my midwives and doula I hired. I thought about trying a home but my husband doesn't feel comfortable with it.. Which I totally get and the hospital im going to let's you labor in a tub/shower and are not pushy at all. I'm feeling pretty good this go around!
  • Hoping for a water birth at the birthing center. We'll see how that goes with the center being 40 minutes away.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm planning on a natural birth at a midwife birth center that is actually part of the hospital. Even though there are many hospitals that are closer, I'm insisting on the midwives- and they have free doula services :)
  • All birth is natural. This is something I'm a little obsessive about after what happened with DD's birth. 

I am shooting for an unmedicated VBAC at a birthing center (hopefully in the water, but we will see). DD was twenty-eight hours unmedicated that turned into a c/s because of poor medical care. 

Baby number three: I want a homebirth. But again, we will see. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

• Agreed with PP. Using the term "natural" to mean unmedicated is wrong and just plain rude to those with medicated births and/or a c/s.
  • I had an unmedicated birth with my first. I was positive for Group B Strep so I had to go to the hospital right away. I'm hoping to be able to stay home longer this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary Birthday
  • I recommend reading some of the articles on "The Skeptical OB" if considering home birth. She is a former OB who gives the other side to home birth (including the not so great stats that Rikki Lake neglects). It is obviously a biased stance, but she makes many good points and does a lot of research over the topic.

There is no way that home birth is as safe as hospital birth of something goes wrong. Luckily, it is not that common that something goes that wrong that quickly and that is why so many people do have successful home births. It is a risk though (similar to riding in a car without a seatbelt). It's not likely to go wrong, but if something does go wrong, you'd probably always wonder if it would have gone better in a hospital. The skeptical OB also runs a website called hurtbyhomebirth.com that shares stories of real home births gone wrong.

Also, the main point of the anti-hospital "midwife" (if you chose a midwife, make sure they have real training as anyone can call them self a midwife in the USA) is that doctors are motivated by money money money and will push you into c sections for that reason. In reality, doctors are motivated by desire to help and desire to not get sued. If there was good malpractice reform, there would be fewer "unnecessary" c sections. That's a different topic though...
  • Home births freak me OUT! I was in the delivery room when my niece was born. It all was going normal until she was born. She had had strong heart rates, everything according to plan. But when she came out she was blue, no heart rate and not breathing. They hit the panic button I watched as they intibated and did CPR. She would have died! You can not live close enough to the hospital. You have very little time when the brain is deprived of oxygen. She is a totally healthy 9 year old thanks to the amazing staff at hospital.

Birthing centers don't exist where I live, they seem like a safer alternative to home. I think it would be up my ally, trained staff to do intervention if necessary and home feel. Thumbs up.

The comment about home birth or birth center is cheaper, is just alarming. As a Canadian I cannot imagine having to make health decisions for my child based on cost. It's sad to me.

I had an epidural with my last two BAD idea. 1; I don't need it my labour are fairly tame. 2; my contractions are never closer then 2 min apart. 3; I can't rest when I have one it makes me wired. I could go on and on. So hospital with my Dr that delivered last two my best friend cause my husband sucks when I'm in labour. Maybe I'll try gas if I NEED it or have a way harder labour.
  • I am hospital with an OB, try for no meds but will not feel bad if I end up wanting an epidural. Last time my water broke at 38+6 and after no contractions starting I had to have a pitocin drip. I tried to breathe through that but along with the pitocin my DD was sunny side up causing back labor. I asked for the epidural, it was fabulous, and I don't feel a bit ashamed or guilty about it.

I don't want a ton of interventions, but I want to be in the right place to get them if the baby or I would need them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Home birth can be a nice option for some, provided there is a registered care provider attending. The midwife practice I am with does attend home births, they have two registered midwives at each birth - one for mom, one for baby.

I had a hospital birth with my son, attended by a midwife and the induction was overseen by the on call OB. The second midwife was unable to make it due to more labours than anticipated (lots of full moon babies!), so I had two registered nurses to care for baby afterwards. Delivery turned complicated and 3 more registered nurses were called to the room and the on call OB was paged to come immediately. Things definitely would have ended badly at home and we would have had an emergency transfer to the hospital after he was born because of a retained placenta.

Research your options, know the risks, weigh the pros and cons, take a birthing class, make an emergency plan, and a best case scenario plan. Be flexible, things change - you want a healthy baby, whether you have an epidural, IV meds, gas, IM meds, med free, vaginal or c-section doesn't matter in the end as long as you are doing what is in the best interest of you and baby. Think practically, not financially (if that applies to you, I'm Canadian so it is not a factor for me).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I will hopefully be having another med-free birth with water labor at my natural birth friendly hospital.  They don't allow for full water births but you can tub labor until you have the urge to push.  
    My last two births were med-free and largely intervention-free and very fast (first one was 6 hours of labor, 10 minutes of pushing, second was 4 hours of labor, less than one minute of pushing.)  My biggest concern is making sure I get there in time and get one of the two tub rooms.  I don't know what I will do if they are all occupied!
    Married 2008 - DD 2010 - DS 2012 - Team Green due July 1st!
  • I'll never understand the appeal of a home birth. Birth is a disgustingly messy time (yes, while also beautiful), and I just can't imagine that in my house. Or even people who just want to labor at home as long as possible. Get my ass to a hospital where there are nurses to care for me and clean up after me. Like PPs have said just do your research when making your decisions. I had a textbook pregnancy with no warnings or complications at all. DS was an emergency c/s after meconium in my water and consistent heart rate decels. At the time I was only 2cm dilated. He also was very quickly sent to the NICU after a positive Coombs test to go under bili lights. Had I not been in a hospital where his heart rate was being monitored I have no idea if he would have survived the birth, or what lasting effects there could have been on his liver had he not been immediately tested and sent to the NiCU.
  • My first two were natural births (no medication beyond pitocin) my third a very scary birth rape trauma csection.
    I'll be finding a midwife and trying for a vbac (: hoping for a healthy healing birth experience.
  • DS was an emergency c, so I'm a VBAC. I desperately wanted to have a water birth in a birth center, but turns or my state won't allow me in a birth center (which is a huge peeve for me). I could do a home birth, but I'm not comfortable with that. All I'd be thinking about is how much laundry/dishes/cleaning I'll need to do soon.
    So it's (hopefully) a VBAC in a hospital with my midwife. The hospital she works with has birthing tubs and she said I'll have to wear a monitor the entire time, but I should be able to be in the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"