Pregnant after 35
Options

Food aversions....do they go away?

So i know cravings and aversions are normal. I know the nausea stuff is normal.......and they for most, take a hike around the end of the 1st trimester. 

Do the food aversions go away as well??? Any experience?? 

I can not handle chicken right now, not eggs, and yesterday the smell of bacon cooking send me running to the bathroom.....yeah it made me sick. In fact most meat is not on my radar at all. 

SIGGY WARNING
Me 38   DH 34
married 05-21-11 
started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14 

Re: Food aversions....do they go away?

• Options
    I went from being on a low carb diet to only being able to eat carbs and back to eating Paleo/Primal but with carbs.  So yes, they do go away - or at least, they did for me.  It didn't happen right on schedule at the start of the second trimester.  It started getting better around week 15 but took a few more weeks after that to get back to normal.  Oh, now I'm always hungry :)

I couldn't eat chicken for a while, but found that if it was cold, like in chicken salad, I could eat it.  Egg salads worked well too.  Of all the proteins, fish took the longest to add back.

I can also eat broccoli and green salads now.  I couldn't eat them for a long time.  I could eat tabouli and bean salads, though.
  • Options
    They do. Give it time. You might develop weird cravings too, but aversions will go away.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some of mine went away after pregnancy, some didn't.  I found that some things I liked before I don't, and a few things I never liked before I do.  *shrug*  Now with baby 2 it's changing again.  Oh the joys of having kids.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    @neonnoon I wonder if I could do chicken salad. I like to eat lower carb as well. I'm not against having fruits and veggie carbs but i feel like most of what i eat right now is processed carb loaded. bread and crackers. Im ok with my morning english muffin but i don't want it to be all I eat. Im hoping to go back to my normal way of eating in the 2nd trimester cause its almost unbearable! At least I'm not gaining yet. Im not eating enough i don't thing.....and I'm already overweight to begin with.

Lucky for me I still love my salads. 
    Beans have become a prime source of protein lately too since i handle it better than meat in general. 

I just want to not go running for the bathroom at the smell of bacon and chicken (which normally i like!)
    SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• Options
    For the first 3 months I battled nausea.  I usually eat eggs 3 - 4 times a week, but during this time and even into the 4rth month, I couldn't even look at them in the fridge!  
    Now I am eating them everyday.
    My food aversions were kryptonite strong and have all disappeared as of the 4rth or 5th month.

• Options
    topaz7777 said:

Some of mine went away after pregnancy, some didn't. Now with baby 2 it's changing again.  Oh the joys of having kids.

This. Some scents got ruined last pregnancy, specifically cinnamon Yankee candles and cherry blossom body wash and lotion. Now I can't smell either without feeling nauseous. So this time around I have chosen first tri scents carefully and am using a lotion that I didn't really care for to begin with. On the other hand, I was averse to veggies and all about carbs up until a few days ago, and thankfully now I'm craving veggies and salads.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At 14 weeks, my coffee aversion is going strong but the rest have faded. My big pregnancy lesson is to go with the flow as much as possible.
  • Options
    Im starting to experience less bouts of nausea.......so Im crossing fingers things will get back to normal. 

I have heard of women not liking things while pregnant suddenly and that sticking with them.....hoping that doesn't happen to me! 

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I couldn't eat meat at all for about two weeks. And then last week DH cooked a steak for himself and I threw a fit because I desperately wanted some.   Thank goodness because I was having a hard time getting protein.   But yes, mine seem to come and go.
    I seem to be able to eat beef the last few days. Not like a big steak or anything....but i have have made Tacos and enchiladas, albondegas type soup (mexican food seems to sit real well with our little gummy bear for some reason) but red meat in SMALL amounts seems to be best. 

Im attempting a pork chop dish tonight. We will see. fish seeeeems ok not a large portion though.

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• Options
    right there with you.. chicken is a no no and that's all I used to eat.  I do make scrambled egg sandwiches, and I am now pretty much eating almost all meatless..   I'm eating a veggie sub from Jimmy Johns about 2 times a week for lunch while at work.  and snacks I pack are celery, carrots and cucumber with homemade ranch, apples and mandarin oranges. Potatoes have also been ok for me to eat, I'll mix stuff in and make a hash...and some light sauced pastas.     I was hoping that I would eat turkey dinner this year lol but seems highly unlikely :)  
  • Options
    @startingover4 it sounds like you are at least being able to be healthy. My diet doesn't seem so at the moment. 

Counting the days till 2nd Tri to see if it lets up :)

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• Options
    Yes, I think they slowly go away! I couldn't stand bacon or beef from early on (those Arby's commercials were making me gag/almost vomit just seeing the piles on meat on TV), DH cooked it one morning and the smell lingered in the house for about a week, I couldn't go near the kitchen. I was eating a boiled egg almost every day and then I couldn't stand them anymore and not even chicken really either (which is my favorite/main go-to protein), but I've been able to go back to chicken 100% now. I can eat bacon as long as I didn't smell it cooking and I had a burger for dinner last night, so slowly letting things back in. I haven't really returned to my strong cravings though, early on I loved pickles and olives, but haven't craved them for a while. But still love apples and like to have ice cream several times a week.

ME: 38, DH: 42, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!!

image BabyFruit Ticker
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Some can last whole pregnancy and beyond! 
    THe fact I can eat lettuce and not nauseous has me a little worried (since it's my 5th pregnancy and 1st like this)
  • Options
    I feel like mine are going away and I am 12 weeks tomorrow.  They started to improve last week.  I think the timing was the same in my last pregnancy, because mine were major too!  I also had aversions to chicken, and to any cooked vegetables (????).  OH, and my usual favorite, curry, made me want to gag.  I definitely feel things improving now.  Sorry you have been feeling icky.  I hope your aversions fade soon.
  • Options
    I had an awful time with bacon with my first baby. Now I 'nothing' it. I don't want it, but I don't puke at the smell either. I am 21 weeks and still having m/s, requiring a few different meds. But that is an exception to the norm. Currently, I still can't eat plain meat. But I CAN eat it if it is disguised in something else, like a chicken salad or spaghetti and meatballs. Like @neonnoon, I was paleo / primal before the pregnancy. Before getting HG treatment, I could only tolerate carbs and dairy. I'd like to go back on paleo/primal soon, but we're not there yet.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"