April 2015 Moms

Veteran moms post your baby must haves here!!

Okay as a FTM I've found so many gadgets & supplies out there. I just saw the high chair post and thought....hmmmm what age will I even need one of those?

I thought maybe some of the veteran moms could share their must haves for newborns - age 6 months.

If this has already been posted I apologize in advance!!

Re: Veteran moms post your baby must haves here!!

• dana1047dana1047 member
    edited November 2014
    Thank you!! See these are the things I need :)

And a forehead thermometer? Or was that an ear thermometer? I remember that being posted.
  • Loading the player...
  • @dana1047‌ - a rectal thermometer will be your best bet for a while.

My "must haves" are:
    -Aden & Anais swaddle blankets
    -SwaddleMe Velcro swaddlers (or some version of these)
    -Pampers Swaddlers diapers
    -bouncer or swing
    -Snuza movement monitor
    -colorful play mat for tummy time
    -nursing cover
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A comfortable carrier or wrap for the phases that baby won't let you put them down. It is the only way to get things done. I had a Bjorn last time, but it wasn't great for my back. I think I'll go for an Ergo or Tula this time.

Zutano booties are the only ones that don't slide off their cankles. The FP Rock n' Play is awesome as a portable and space-saving baby holder and great for gassy or reflux babies. A good white noise app or machine. The sleep sheep turns off too quickly, so get one with a longer or continuous play time.
  • GAS DROPS!!! Then priority two was the swing.
  • A comfortable carrier or wrap for the phases that baby won't let you put them down. It is the only way to get things done. I had a Bjorn last time, but it wasn't great for my back. I think I'll go for an Ergo or Tula this time.

Zutano booties are the only ones that don't slide off their cankles. The FP Rock n' Play is awesome as a portable and space-saving baby holder and great for gassy or reflux babies. A good white noise app or machine. The sleep sheep turns off too quickly, so get one with a longer or continuous play time.

I have seen the zutano booties & mittens on amazon. I'll add those to my wish list I've been keeping!!
  • I am not a veteran mom, but I just found this fabulous blog with everything you need as a first time mom! It will be my go to for my registry! https://www.lucieslist.com/baby-registry-basics/bath-time/
  • There's this brand of socks that I buy everyone I know who has a baby - Ecoland and I get them on amazon.  They're organic cotton or some kind of hippie crap, and they are the only socks that actually stayed on DD's feet.  They're magical.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told the forehead thermometers don't work so never got one. Rectal was easiest.
    Ditto on the nose freida.
  • Forget the nosefreida...use this:image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PBFWMO

I just saw this & was reading reviews after looking up the nosefreida!!

You ladies rock!!
  • I think a lot of this was covered in the advice for FTM thread. You can find the link in one of the pinned post. 
  • Snaps were way better. MOTN diaper changes, I only needed to unsnap the bottom vs un zippering the whole thing. They don't wake up as much, more likely to sleep through it. Not as cold. Keeps them warm.  Love them.  

HATE gowns. Hate them. They never actually covered entirely. They are drafty. I'd rather a onesie with some baby legs for ease of diaper changes.  
  • Great info!  Thanks everyone!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Stuff nobody tells you:
    1.Buy huge waist high granny panties for your hospital bag. The pads you need to use are enormous (think up to your belly button) and I had a section so everything hurt my scar.
    2. Sometimes your boob is full and your baby decides to eat for 30 seconds in the middle of the night. A good hand pump can be your best friend to relieve the pressure.

I also second the Moby wrap, AA blankets, and the nose Frieda.
  • be888be888 member
    edited November 2014
    A lot of my must-haves have already been listed, but I don't think the little anti-scratching mittens have been. It is really hard to cut baby nails, and our son would scratch his face all over without mittens, and end up looking like Edward Scissorhands.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• So here's the thing, every baby is different, so you may buy this stuff and find you never need it. DS always hated the swaddle, so all those lovely A+A blankets and sleep gowns went to waste in my house. I've never needed the NoseFrida, and we got by fine without mittens.

For DS, the wubanubs were great, and he napped so well in the rock-n-play. The sleep sheep (or in our case sleep owl) is fantastic, but we didn't use it in the first 6 months.
    imageimage
  • Rock n Play, white noise machine or app, a comfortable rocking chair. DD is also a huge fan of the wubbanub, to the point that I'm having trouble taking it away! We also had good luck with this thing called Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit once she outgrew the swaddles.
  • Anyone have the mamaroo swing/bouncer? Love it hate it??

Thank you all!!
  • Just going to second and third the Rock N Play, swaddleme swaddle blankets, and any clothing that you don't have to put on over their head. I was a nervous wreck putting onesies or anything over my newborn's wobbly head for a week or two as a FTM. And I much preferred snaps to zippers. Gowns worked great for us because we always also used the swaddleme blankets as well.
  • I loved my Breast Friend nursing pillow that snaps behind for my first time around. The boppy totally sucked compared to it, at least for me.
    Snot sucker for sure, we have a hydra sense one.
    And I agree with the Velcro swaddler blankets, I don't remember what they're called, but they were awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Babycarrier like Ergo or Bjorn. I had the beco gemini and loved it.

Nosefreida worked great.

We used an ear thermometer but I had a rectal one too. It came in handy one night when the ear one said 104 and I used the rectal to verify the temp wasn't that high. I recommend having both.

Multiple blankets for swaddling.

DD really liked her swing. It was the little lamb one. She slept in it alot, but not all babies love the swing.

Also avoid Dr Browns bottles if possible. They are a pain to clean.
    imageimage 
                                                                                January Siggy Challenge-Exercise Fail
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• dana1047 said:
    Anyone have the mamaroo swing/bouncer? Love it hate it?? Thank you all!!
    We have it, and our son really liked it. I have heard it is really hit or miss. All other babies that have come to our house and used it loved it as well. We got it as a gift, otherwise I don't think we would have spent that type of money on it. A friend bought one at BBB, tried it, her daughter didn't like it, and she returned it no problem. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• dana1047 said:

Anyone have the mamaroo swing/bouncer? Love it hate it??

Thank you all!!

------
    I have used the mamaroo at work. The babies have really liked it. It is expensive though and I don't plan on buying one for home. Our daughter wasn't really a fan of any kind if swing or bouncer though.

Pregnancy Ticker

• FTM here. This is really helpful!
  • pblgepblge member
    edited November 2014
    FTM here, but I've been doing a lot of research. I second the PP who recommended Lucie's List--all FTMs should read that, as she goes through every thing step-by-step. She also put together three registry sets. They're not comprehensive, but they seem like a really good start.
    Baby on a Budget
    American Baby (mid-price)
    Urban Chic (higher price)

I also recommend the Baby Bargains book for a lot more info, particularly concerning what you can and should not buy used. The new edition is, unfortunately, due mid-April.
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • FTM, too
    But just want to say Thanks OP & also a Lucie's list fan girl.

Here's a list I've also compiled by recommendation of my recent-mama-friends

Car seats
    - many different recommendations, most have similar safety ratings. It defends on your preference, how easy it is for you, etc etc. I'm going to end up with chicco key fit
    - summer infant cushy straps, they have ivory bear or pink bunny

Bath
    - mustela infant foam shampoo for first month, as they shed their womb skin
    - then earth baby mama angel shampoo
    - some type of tub for newborn, or with newborn sling
    - wash clothes, my friends seem to love carter's & Aiden anais

Diaper
    - diaper; huggies little snugglers
    - wipes; Huggies one and done or honest co
    - cream; earth baby mama angel
    - diaper bag, your preference. I was recommended to pick from Skip Hop since it goes well with the strollers
    - summer infant contoured changing pad
    - multiple covers for the changing pad
    - diaper organizer
    - diaper pail, like playtex diaper genie elite pail system with odor lock carbon filter
    - playtex diaper genie refill
    - for solid eaters/ toddlers, I was told no diaper pail does a good job. To use baggies (similar to doggie bags)

Sleep
    - swaddle blankets, cotton muslin or bamboo from aiden anais
    - some love woombie sleep cocoon, another said the summer infant swaddle me infant wrap is awesome, then another thinks Halo sleep sacks are the best. So who knows
    - several mattress covers,for quick changes if there's lots of spit up
    - baby okay laundry detergent

Feeding
    - if pumping, medela pump in style advanced breast pump
    - medela value pack BPa- free feeding set
    - lansinoh or medela Breast milk storage bag
    - Boppy pillow, my Breast friend pillow, or the leachco cuddle-u nursing pillow
    - lansinoh hpa lanolin
    - lansinoh disposable nursing pad
    - drying rack, you can get the fake grass or spinning rack
    - Baby okay dish soap
    - snap bibs
    - burp bib, again Aiden anais muslin

Health
    - baby nail scissor
    - baby nail clipper with magnifier
    - nosefrida baby aspirator with extra filters
    - Vicks rectal thermometer
    - optional, non contact forehead baby thermometer OR ear thermometer

Gear
    - baby monitor, depends on budget & need
    - Rock n play sleeper
    - bumbo floor seat
    - activity gym, infantino had a grow with me one that later becomes a ball pit
    - carrier; remember something for infancy cuz even the ergo baby with infant insert doesn't do a good job .

Toy
    - mobile for the crib, you can get musical moving but newborns love the b&w Manhattan toy wimmer-ferguson infant stim mobile
    - cloud b sound machine soother, most get the sheep. But they have a cute fox hehe. Aware it doesn't stay on for as long, might just use my phone app
    - Sophie chew toy
    - wubbanub pacifier, they have bears dogs sheep eveyrthing!
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • RIngReadyRIngReady member
    edited November 2014
    dana1047 said:
    We got one as a gift, LO hated it but loved his swing. I'm glad I didn't pay for it as I think he used it for maybe 2 hours combined. 

That being said, you need someplace to put baby down, swing, RnP, PnP, bassinet ect. 

We love and still use our Nose Frieda (although that other one posted looks awesome -too) 
    -Halo sleep sacks are awesome 
    -Nursing pads and lanolin were a must for me-I was shocked at how much I leaked and how chapped my nipples were initially. 
    -Gripe water 
    -Good video monitor
    -floor blankets for tummy time
    -Boppy pillow

Edited  because I forgot a few things. 

• dana1047 said:
    We do! It was OK. He really loved the regular swing though more.
    imageimage
  • Yes thank you all. You have no idea how much this has helped the creeping up stress. I don't have many friends that live close that have children and hubby & I are both the oldest. All these brands everyone knows on the board made me feel nervous!!

I was googling like mad, which is overwhelming!! I read reviews then wonder if they are real life reviews or marketing paid reviews.

Thank you all for your honest opinions. The haters who say this board is not supportive are whacko!!

• dana1047 said:

Anyone have the mamaroo swing/bouncer? Love it hate it??

Thank you all!!

We do! It was OK. He really loved the regular swing though more.

Thank you!! I work in a high tech field and was drawn to it but wasn't sure if it really was the live saver some made it out to be in reviews.
  • So the nose frida...... You all love that? I saw one when we went to register and I just couldn't stomach the whole sucking snot out of baby's nose thing. Those little filter sponges really work???
  • topaz7777topaz7777 member
    edited November 2014
    So the nose frida...... You all love that? I saw one when we went to register and I just couldn't stomach the whole sucking snot out of baby's nose thing. Those little filter sponges really work???

I used it all the time.  I tried the bulbs and one of those automatic suckers with the batteries and it really wasn't sucking the snot out at all.  The best bulb is the one you get from the hospital.  KEEP IT!!!! CLEAN IT!!!  

The nose frida is extremely effective.  Yeah the concept is gross, but I never got baby snot anywhere near my mouth, or even in the tube.  Mostly it just stays at the top of the large part that goes up to the baby's nose, then I rinse it out.  I think maybe only once it got to the sponge,  I just changed it with one of the replacement sponges it comes with and was good as new.  When your baby isn't breathing well at night because their nose is stuffy, sometimes it's enough to get over the potential grossness, especially when it's effective.

Also, Some babies like to swing side to side, some front to back, some like the ones that move like a car.  We tried them all.  Apparently also some babies don't like swings.  Turns out what you like and what baby likes often isn't the same thing.  Lots of trial and error.

Edited to add:  Also, a cold mist humidifier really helps with colds!

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Straws!!! I was so ridiculously thirsty but couldn't maneuver myself to get drinks without worrying about spilling. Even while nursing Dd, I would grab a glass with a straw and I was golden!
  • Another tip that I didn't know soon enough: onesies are designed to be pulled down the baby's body instead of over the head in case of a diaper blowout (and sometimes it's just easier if your baby has a giant head, like my son). Someone pointed this out when DS was like 4ish months old? and it has been an amazing discovery.
    imageimage
  • This has already been mentioned but I wanted to put another plug in for a good nursing pillow. I am a FTM but I have been told by almost everyone that it is something you will not regret.
  • -Ergo baby carrier
    -Babies r us and some other stores have this giant bath sponge for baby to lay on during bath. Best thing EVER! I don't like baby bathtubs, and the big sponges are awesome for those first few months and then can be thrown away. Usually $5.
    -boppy and bumbo
    -boob ointment for sore nursing boobs
    -head thermometer
    -nose Frieda
    -A&A swaddle blankets
    -swing
    -car seat cover (to protect baby from germy people coughing on your baby)
    -car seat mirror so you can see your baby while driving.
    -couldn't live without my angel care baby monitor!
  • topaz7777 said:

Edited to add:  Also, a cold mist humidifier really helps with colds!

Maybe a stupid question but why cold mist as opposed to warm mist humidifier? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"