Natural Birth

What do you want from your Doula?

maggie515maggie515 member
edited November 2014 in Natural Birth
What are the biggest reasons for wanting one and what do you want them to do while assisting you at your birth? Eta: I know what a doula does/is, I want to know what YOUR reasons/hopes/wants are for one at your birth ;)

Re: What do you want from your Doula?

• My husband is someone who can't handle human blood and fluids.  He passes out, gets clammy and just can't deal with medical situations.  I want a natural, med-free birth.  I want someone who has been through med-free births, I want someone who isn't afraid to take charge of the situation and tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear.  I want someone who will be able to look 'down there' and tell me that I'm making progress.  I want someone who isn't afraid to help me cope with the pain but who is willing to instruct my husband to help if he's willing to take the chance. 

My husband and I both agreed that a doula would primarily be for me, but I love that my doula is willing to help my husband learn how to help me deal with pain and preparing him for what he may see in the delivery room. 

My doula is also a lactivist - she is not a lactation consultant, but she's successfully breastfed her four children and is still breastfeeding her youngest who is 12 months old.  She is willing to help me with any troubles I may have with breastfeeding which I really appreciate.
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• Thanks for posing this question

• Loading the player...
  • Emotional support. My husband and I love each other dearly, but he's not good at dealing with crying and really emotional situations. My doula and I have been friends for six years, and she's one of the most emotionally supportive people I know. She's also a massage therapist, so that's a huge perk.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Both DH and I are looking for guidance and support for coping with contractions and the pain. Since this is our first, even with classes with both feel a doula will be a huge help and actually a relief in case we can't remember a technique or encounter something we didn't prepare for. DH likes that he will have someone with him and they can work as a team to help me get through this process. I am also going to have my mom, so she will be a huge emotional support as well! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"