Cloth Diapering
Options

Diaper Service?

I am a FTM and DH and I live in a small apartment, with W/D in the unit. We plan to cloth diaper, and always planned on washing ourselves, and based on research plan to do diapers every other day. However, my mom and dad swear that I am going to regret not having diaper service. I nannied, and they did not use diaper service, and it didn't seem like that much work. Mind you he was 10 months when I started and not a newborn. I will also be going back to work full-time (after 3 months) and my mom will be nannying for me, and she says she will not do any diapers if we don't do diaper service....and now I am torn. :/ Its also so expensive, yet then you don't need to buy diapers...also my mom said she would pay for the first 6 months if I wanted, although I feel really bad having her do this, since they are already gifting us our $400 travel system.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Diaper Service?

• Options
    ^WSS. Plus, a lot of diaper services will only do prefolds. Some might allow fitteds, but it really depends what is available in your area. Don't get me wrong, I love prefolds. And fitteds, and flats, and all the diapers. Except I maybe love/hate the pockets.

Has your mother seen any of the latest diapers? She might appreciate how user-friendly some of the pockets and AIOs/AI2s are. And if you are doing the laundry, what does she care whether they care cleaned by a service or not.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not really understanding why your mom cares how they are cleaned, unless you expect her to do it for you. All she has to do is toss the diaper in a wet bag and you deal with it when you get home. It's as simple as it sounds- just do a load of laundry in the evenings and it will dry by morning.

I honestly hate when my MIL tries to help by doing diaper laundry because I have a system down and I just assume she'll do wrong. And also because it's like a half load which messes up the scheduling for the diapers still sitting at home.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! You have confirmed what I already thought (it really isn't that hard to wash diapers yourself). I think I will politely decline the offer. I would rather just do our own, and get into the pattern right away. Plus, I can always use my newborn diapers as burp cloths later. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I really regret doing a diaper service with my daughter for the first 6 months. It would of been sooooo much easier to wash myself. I only received prefolds with the service and I still had to get wet bags, covers, and snappi's myself. Plus I had to wash all of my covers myself. It kind of defeated the whole purpose. Once DD was in daycare we had to get pockets just for them and eventually stopped the whole service. Would of been loads cheaper to just get 36 small prefolds and do it myself.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It really is simple and so much cheaper. The biggest impact we had was the electricity cost of drying the diapers but if you live somewhere warm like we do we wash at night, hang in the morning and they are dry when we get home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"