Babies on the Brain

Temping when you don't get restful sleep

I'm really interested in temping to confirm ovulation, but I've read that this should be done after your most restful sleep and "at least 4 continuous hours of sleep"- this might be challenging for me, because I'm just one of those people who wakes up every few hours in the night. I usually get back to sleep within a half hour of waking, but 4 consecutive hours without waking would be a very good night for me and not typical, maybe once or twice in a week. I'm not sure why I wake up so much & have tried different methods to remedy this but in general it doesn't seem to effect my life much since it's my norm by now.

Will this present a problem with the accuracy of my temperatures? Is there an alternate time that I can record temps?

Thanks!

Re: Temping when you don't get restful sleep

• Thank you! This gives me a little more hope that it might work out for me

I'll be looking into basal body thermometers soon.

I don't have much of a concept of a "regular" cycle for me, since I've been on birth control so long. My brief periods off of BC I was one of those who always thought they were "late" & took pregnancy tests when I went over 4 weeks, only to have AF arrive a few days later. I felt pretty dumb when I got older and realized "uh not everyone's cycle is a perfect 28 days"!

I'm kind of looking forward to figuring these things out about myself, and just feeling more empowered with that knowledge. It will be nice to know when AF is expected & not be guessing as to when a pregnancy test is needed! Not to mention having a better idea of a due date should pregnancy occur.

I'm glad to have found this community!  :) Thanks for your help
  • I'm a very light sleeper and I require less sleep than most. I feel rested, I just have a different sleep cycle. I've always woken up throughout my sleep and when I get up in the morning I am 100% awake, not groggy like some people. I can't imagine many nights I got 4 hours straight, probably several spans of 2 hours at a time. Temping still worked great for me and I always saw a clear shift. The only way to know is to try! I found it really fun to learn about natural family planning and it was very effective for us. We used NFP to avoid pregnancy for a year, then got pregnant the very first month trying. 

Try to find out of there is anything you are doing that causes you to not sleep well. If you feel rested you are sleeping fine, but if don't then there are a few things that might help. No TV in the bedroom, read or meditate before sleeping. Drink a nice cup of hot tea and have an evening routine. No clocks/night lights/etc. with blue light - blue light disrupts sleep. Maybe try a sound machine. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also wake up a few times a night. I try to make sure I get 3 hours of sleep before temping. I take my temp a lot around 4am. This morning I was up at 430am with my daughter and went back to sleep and temped at 530. We'll see what it does for my chart I guess lol

My Ovulation Chart

TTC our first together <3
    Removed Mirena 11/4/14
    DD 6/27/2011
    SO's DD 5/30/2009

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"