Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Curiosity: when did you "have" to name your baby?

Just curious, I started watching Pramface on Hulu Plus (BBC show) & the couple on that show didn't name their daughter until her baptism, I think she was a few months old by then.

I found this interesting. I wondered if any US couples do this? I was under the impression that you had to have a name before leaving the hospital for paperwork, but could be wrong.

Re: Curiosity: when did you "have" to name your baby?

• Options
    We were told in our birth class that we had until 30 days after birth to name the baby. I thought it was crazy.
  • Options
    My husband and I were in such disagreement over DS name ! Every few hours in hospital someone came by asking if we had a name.. At time of discharge we didn't have one so they gave us a paper and said mail it in when you decide.. I thought it wS crazy I didn't think we could leave the hospital without one!

We named him right before we left I couldn't go home with a nameless baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you don't have a name they file the birth certificate to say boy or girl and you're faced with doing a name change when you do decide.
  • Options
    Religious Jews do not give their babies a name until they're 8 days old. In the US, you have 30 days to file the social security/birth certificate paperwork under normal circumstances (I think that you can file for an extension though?). 

My husband wouldn't let us leave the delivery room without a name, so there's that. :)
  • Options
    And I thought I took too long! My second son was only 5 hours old when he got his name.
  • Options
    In canada, our birth registration needs to be completed 30 days from the birth of the child, so you've got 30 days to decide on a name. I know a couple if people that have waited about a week, but not a whole month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"