Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Daycare and sickness

Our nanny will not be coming back next year. We are looking for a new nanny. JIC we don't find one before then DS (10 months) goes to DC 2 days a week to get used to it. I am not ready for him to go but it's happening. Before now he has gone to DC occasionally when nanny needed to be off. Before going to DC had nevery been sick.
I have realized that each time he has gone to DC he has been sick ( virus once, cold symptoms twice, HFM last week). He goes to DC on Mon. & Wed. Wed I noticed he started coughing ( it always starts with coughing sneezing and or being clIngy). It has gotten progressively worse but not full blown sickness & this morning he did not feel well at all. He hasn't had a fever but congestion, runny nose. My husband & I started giving small dose of tylenol once a day trying to ward it off. I know that we cannot live on a bubble and kids get sick & its normal. My question is if anyone else has dealt with DC sicknes and if anyone knows any preventative treatment. So far he has only ever had tylenol and advil/motrin which are for pain and fever. He hasn't had a fever and we dont think he's in pain. I am also aware that he could be getting g sick from other places/environments but the DC seems to b r he common denominator. Please let me know if you have tried any prevention for infant sickness I'm so frustrated!

TIA

Re: Daycare and sickness

• Options
    Go spend some time at the day care with your son and see how clean they really are.

You might try checking out other facilities.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Options
    This is really par for the course with children in group environments.  Even the cleanest of places can't clean every germ from every surface, especially in this age range where everything they touch probably touched their mouth or the hand that touched their mouth.  

Also, you can't ward off illness with Tylenol so I'd really stop medicating him.  If he's going to get sick, he's going to get sick.  Tylenol and other OTC meds of that nature are truly only for pain, fever and (with things like Motrin), reducing inflammation.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like other's said there is nothing really you can do. Even if the place is clean when kids can crawl and touch one another they are bound to get sick. Our policy is if they have a fever they have to go home until it's gone. Other then that our son goes to daycare. I feel like the whole first year my first was born he had a runny nose the entire time. But it will pass so the way I see it they will get it out of their system before heading to grade school.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Thx ladies it's just so frustrating.
  • Options
    Any preventative treatments before 4yrs old are super limited. My DS is 10months and unfortunately has been in DC since he was 3.5mos & in that time he's had 3 bad colds. All I do is keep saline for his nose, slather him in baby vics, and keep my vaporizor (or humidifier) on every night. I recently found that Hylands have Little Cold tablets (just like their teething tablets) and they work to keep him comfortable as the cold runs its course. It is sooo annoying but I hear its something to expect when your kid goes to daycare/school. Good Luck.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 6/9/13... here we go again
  • Options
    @SaltyDonut‌ thx! Ditto on saline vicks and vapor when needed. Did not know about cold tablets. ..will look for those and keep praying for healing. Runny nose for 2.5 weeks now and it's finally getting better but I think his voice is getting raspy now...ugh!!! Why can't I jus be a SAHM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"