August 2014 Moms

Mastitis and dumping milk

Thought I was getting the flu, nope it's mastitis, I don't know which would be worse. It is painful! I was put on an antibiotic and some pain meds. Both are safe for baby but the antibiotic can cause diarrhea and gas for LO. I spoke to a friend who took the same antibiotic and she said LOs stomach was so upset, had explosive diarrhea and was fussy the entire time she was on it. I decided to use froze milk until I'm done. But dumping the milk down the drain makes me so sad! :((

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Mastitis and dumping milk

• Nothing worse than dumping milk!! I'm sorry!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mastitis with my first and was on a major antibiotic and it didn't cause LO any problems. Have you tried to see if it gives your LO problems yet? The biggest helper for mastitis other than the meds is nurse, nurse, nurse. Good luck! Mastitis sucks. Eat some yogurt too if you can or take a probiotic to avoid a yeast infection.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, I've had mastitis with both kids. They were both fine with the antibiotic I was on. I would try it first before pumping and dumping.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• I wouldn't pump and dump.  DD was fine with my antibiotic (clindamycin).  I would try first and see before dumping.  I was just told to eat some extra yogurt, which I didn't even do.  Just keep nursing and nursing and nursing... that's the best medicine for it.
  • I EP and only pump 3 times a day, do you think I should pump more often until the infection is gone? Doctor said we caught it early and it isn't too bad compared to other cases he has seen.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I pumped and dumped for a week while on Cipro for mastitis after talking to the pediatrician. There is nothing worse.
  • I EP and only pump 3 times a day, do you think I should pump more often until the infection is gone? Doctor said we caught it early and it isn't too bad compared to other cases he has seen.
    I would.  I just got over a case without antibiotics.  I felt flu-like on Saturday and woke up Sunday with a super sore/red breast.  I had it before, so I knew right away.  Called the on-call doctor and she prescribed antibiotics.  I wasn't thrilled with what she prescribed and was going to go in on Monday.  I nursed a lot Sunday and Monday - woke up Monday and boob was still sore, but the "flu" was gone.  Put off going to the doctor and nursed even more.  By Tuesday I felt fine.  I read that 80% of cases can go away on their own.  I'm not saying not to take antibiotics (I had a really bad case the first time and needed them badly), but this time I was able to monitor my fever and do fine with just some advil.  Nursing (or pumping) is the biggest help.
  • I got mastitis this past weekend and was prescribed clindamycin. It's been fine so far, the only side effect I've noticed is it makes my stool softer. I would see how LO is before dumping

If I remember right you are dealing with major over supply issues. I would not pump more because of that, especially because the dr said you caught it early. I'm no expert though, just my two cents. I would be worried more pumping would make things worse. Hope you feel better soon!

imageimage
  • @MC03‌ I do have an oversupply issue, that's why I'm so worried about pumping more often, I finally have been able to slow down my milk production. I have been pumping until i'm empty so hopefully that will be enough.

Just got up to pump this morning and the spot is soft again just a little red. So I think it is starting to clear up! Also, it is not painful to the touch anymore and I took the pain meds around 7pm last night.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know what you are taking but when I had mastitis I took dicloxacillin and my LO didn't seem to have any GI discomfort. I agree about not pumping more if you have oversupply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"