Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Question about bottle refusal and dry diapers in the morning

Hi ladies. Looking for some thoughts, ideas, advice. :) 

So my little one who was 12 weeks on Wednesday decided about 3 weeks ago she was going to stop taking a bottle. Now she is strictly breastfed. She was a little slow to gain weight in the beginning so I was bottle feeding her breast milk or formula after every feeding for a few weeks. After I was able to stop supplementing I stayed in the habit of giving her an oz or so in a bottle at her last feeding of the day just so she would stay use to the bottle. I am rather big chested lol and breastfeeding her in public is not only awkward but very uncomfortable for me. It was nice to be able to give her a bottle if feeding time rolled around. This weekend I was supposed to go to a football game and dinner with hubby and friends but I can't go because it would require me to be gone much longer than her feeding schedule. Has anyone gone through this with their LO? Any suggestions on what I can do aside from changing up the bottle nipples etc. 

My next question is have any of you had your 11 plus week old go all night without peeing? For the last week she has been waking up with dry diapers. She sleeps around 7 1/2 to 8 hours. I did call and talk to the advice nurse at her dr's office and they said because she doesn't have any other signs of dehydration it's probably fine although a little odd she would go that long without peeing. During the day she has anywhere from 6-10 wet diapers. She eats regularily and overall seems pretty happy. Oh and she always pees within 15-20 minutes of waking up in the morning. I am wondering if she could be mildly dehydrated as she spits up a ton, half the time it feels like she must be spitting up everything she just ate. 

Any thoughts or advice on similar experiences would be appreciated. First time mommy here so this is all new to me. :) 

Re: Question about bottle refusal and dry diapers in the morning

• So she's completely refusing a bottle now?

This might sound harsh but i think I would give a formula or pumped milk bottle and only offer that instead of the breast to get her to eat a few times until she's back to accepting it. It might make her mad but see if she gives in. And I've been gone once for a long visit away from home that interfered with feeding schedule and this is what I did: fed right before leaving, gave breast milk bottle when we got to a destination when hungry, then pumped immediately after at my MIL house. I plan to see if my pump has a car adaptor so I could pump in the back seat when needed in the future. And if you don't have breast milk pumped at home you could bring a bottle of distilled water and mix in the formula right before giving it when out and then pump at the same time in the car or someone's house.

I'm a FTM too and this is all confusing to me as well!! My lo is 3.5 wks old and I've barely been out of the house. I only give formula when needed rarely when I'm out of milk and he's still hungry but I'm ok with giving it as well if it means I get to go out somewhere besides staring at the walls of my house!

Good luck!
  • And I'd keep the pedi dr updated on the no wet diapers at night issue. I agree that seems odd... My friends baby got badly dehydrated and was lethargic so keep a watch for the symptoms
  • Loading the player...
  •  Will she take a bottle from dh, with you not around? My babies would not take a bottle from me-they know I have the milk! but if I was away dh could give it to them, or daycare. But if they knew I was nearby-refusal. This eased up after awhile, by about 3 or 4 months I could give an occasional bottle.

So if you went to the game, could dh give her a bottle while you go elsewhere? That might work.

As for the dry diapers-I don't know, how soon before bed is she fed? Is she nursing at night?
  • We have tried hubby giving her a bottle and she has no interest. Either cries or turns away. Im visiting my mil this weekend so maybe I will see if she will take it from her when hubby and I leave the house for a little bit.

As for the dry diapers. I feed her usually about an hour and a half before she goes to sleep and she has a wet diaper right befote bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"