November 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Tips, Questions and Advice!!

mommymeg143mommymeg143 member
edited November 2014 in November 2014 Moms
I searched our thread history and couldn't find a thread where we could talk all things breastfeeding!!

If we have one, please link it below.

How is everyone doing with breastfeeding? Do you have any tips? Questions? Need to vent? If so, post away!!

Married:  08.17.2013
Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

Re: Breastfeeding Tips, Questions and Advice!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure this is a dumb question but a couple of you have mentioned "enough" wet/poopy diapers - what do you consider enough??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsg1019 I have been offering both at each feeding. That is the only way he gets enough to eat. I start with the one I ended with the time before and burp and usually change him in between. This wakes him up a bit as he is a pretty lazy eater.
    Pregnancy Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    @mrsg1019 DS1 always pulled off when I emptied so I burped and offered the other.  If he took it great if not I started on that side the next time.  When I tried to move him earlier than that he wasn't getting enough hindmilk (green poop).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone!! Seems like the issues people are experiencing are minimal and our babies are being well fed. Well our little guy was vomiting the first 24 hours so he did not have his first sip of breast milk until day 2. He wasn't latching so the midwives recommended that I try a nipple shield to get him latched. One week in and we are still using the shield.... But he latches and feeds really well, so I'm not complaining. My only complaint is my nipples hurt.... Even with the shield they are tender. I suppose they need to be toughened up. I've been using nipple lanolin... Which seems to help. The hospital told me to apply it before feeding a which can help lessen the pain of the initial latch. My question is-- what is your nipple care, pre/post feeding routine to help keep your nipples healthy??
  • Options
    This is the kind of thread I was just looking for :) We are scheduled for a c/s Tuesday and I really want to nurse or just pump as much as i can. Feeling some anxiety though because with my first, who is almost 2, I could pump only because she was vented for 5 days and could not eat. We had a stockpile to take home and that really worked for us because DH could help more with feedings. Now that we will have a newborn I wanted to be able to have that "stockpile" again but do not know how to achieve it if baby nurses right away. Do I nurse and then pump or supplement for a couple feedings? Any suggestions?

I feel like I'm starting back at the beginning (I realize I am, with a newborn!) and know nothing...
  • Options
    CatLady22 said:

@Acedit‌ I second @lissydee‌ that earth momma worked much better than lanolin for me. I also liked the lansinoh gel soothing pads.

I just remembered someone got me those gel pads at my shower, I froze them and it's AMAZING for pain relief.

I talked to a friend yesterday who recommended plain black tea bags after feeding. These also feel amazing! Put just enough boiling water on them to moisten, let cool enough so it doesn't burn the sensitive skin and hold them on your nipples for several minutes.
  • Options
    schrijiverschrijiver member
    edited November 2014
    How long did it take for your milk to come in, especially with the first? Mine hasn't come in yet. I can express some colostrum so I know he's getting something but I'm worried. I'm on day three as he was born very early Thursday morning. The pediatrician said it could take 3 to 4 days. We go back on Monday morning to do another weigh in and I'm scared my milk won't come in and he won't gain weight :(.

ETA: words are hard
    Connor Graham

• Options
    My twins are a week and a half. Breastfeeding has been back and forth, but slowly getting better. At good sessions I can get them to latch and stay on for 15 minutes or more. Sometimes I can even tandem feed. Other times I can't get them to latch for more than a few minutes and then want to eat a little more 10 minutes later, especially at night.

I try to make sure they are completely awake before feeding and that helps some.m. I have also tried to pump at least once a day so someone else can help me at night when they are wanting to eat every 10 minutes.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    mommymeg143mommymeg143 member
    edited November 2014
    AeandJb said:

My questions for the pumpers:

1. How often do you pump?
    2. How long do you pump?
    3. How much milk do you make on average per session?

4. How much does baby(babies) eat per bottle session?
    5. How often do you nurse?
    1) I pump every 2-3 hours.
    2) I try to pump for at least 15-20 minutes.
    3) I average about 2 ounces per boob and LO is 11 days old. However, I just pumped 6 ounces during my last session.
    4) She eats between 1 1/2 - 2 ounces per session.
    5)I try to nurse at night when she wakes up or will let her nurse prior to pumping. It is very soothing for her and I love the bonding we have!! Also, If my boobs are too full, it's hard for her to nurse because the milk comes out so quickly. In that case, I do the opposite and pump for 5-10 minutes before letting her nurse.

For those asking, my milk came in on Saturday morning and she was born Tuesday night. So, 3-4 days. :)

• Options
    I forgot about the cramping while feeding :((
    Blaaaahhhh
    Anyone remember when it goes away/had it go away yet?
  • Options
    Cici3913Cici3913 member
    edited November 2014
    I'm wanting to pump when I go back to work but so far I haven't been able to save any. She eats it all during her feeding. So if I pump after she feeds there is nothing left. If I pump before I'm afraid she won't get anything. I can only get about 3oz combined when I pump.

I'm already taking fenugreek. What kind of pumping schedule is best? And how do I increase the supply?
  • Options
    Can I join?
    I just started cluster feeding yesterday. Isaac has been latching well but it took a little coaching. I was very hands on with the LC and nurses in the mother baby unit at the hospital. I had them teach me different latches and help me latch him. He has a very high pallet so he requires a deep latch. I was very timid at first but they helped me get over that.
    Now I am dealing with engorgement. It has been so painful. I have been alternating between dipping my breasts in bowls with warm water then hand expressing and pumping. I nurse him as much as he will take but he sleeps all the time. I don't know if I should be concerned by how much he sleeps. He nursed 10 yesterday in half hour increments. He also met his goal with diapers. Any tips?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                   TTC Since 2009 
                                        BFP 1: Nov 2010 MMC at 5 Weeks
                  BFP 2: June 2010 First Round of Clomid Blighted Ovum at 7 weeks
         Surprise BFP 3: Feb 2014, Healthy Baby Boy Due October 27th 2014. OB thinks this is it!
  • Options
    Thank you, @AmyG*‌ !!!

• Options
    I know I'll discuss this when my baby is here, but say baby only nurses from one side & doesn't want the other breast, do you pump the other side?

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Options
    Weird question for pumpers:

What nipples are yall using for feeding? I tried feeding Beckham after I pumped yesterday, and it all fell out. I used size one.

Do I need to use an insert? I noticed in a lot of my bottles, there is a long insert inside.

Is there a specific way to hold him while bottle feeding?
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • Options
    KMW08 said:

I know I'll discuss this when my baby is here, but say baby only nurses from one side & doesn't want the other breast, do you pump the other side?

This is what I'm going through with Beckham. I just pump my right side until I feel relief!
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • Options
    AmyG* said:

Weird question for pumpers:

What nipples are yall using for feeding? I tried feeding Beckham after I pumped yesterday, and it all fell out. I used size one.

Do I need to use an insert? I noticed in a lot of my bottles, there is a long insert inside.

Is there a specific way to hold him while bottle feeding?

You may want to use a premie size bottle.

also google paced bottle feeding, where baby is sitting a bit more upright and tilting bottle downward so that gravity doesn't speed the flow.  otherwise baby may chug a bottle fast, or have to drink fast to keep from drowning. 

Thank you!!
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • Options
    Thank you for this topic! I read through all the posts and it's helped me a lot! So far I'm only breast feeding and not pumping at all. Baby is 1week old. I'm going back to work at 12 weeks so I think I have time to build up a supply sometime after 4 weeks. Question. Is there anything I can do to get DH involved? He feels a bit left out. Every time baby fusses he tries to soothe baby. But we also are attempting holding off using a paci too.n So DH efforts get him no where and my nipple ends up soothing baby either by a feeding or just him on my nipple. DH often feels like the baby doesn't like him! And in the middle of the night he sometimes gets up with me and sits next to me while I feed baby. But I tell him to just go back to sleep since there is no point in both of us being tired the next day. I can tell he feels bad.
    Married 2009.
    2012-2014 charting and temping... BFP 3/4/2014 EDD: 11/10/14
    Baby boy 2 November 2014!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"