Natural Birth

Squatting properly?

Hi ladies, I'm still doing a lot of reading and learning about a med-free birth, and had a question about squatting. I keep reading about doing them daily and practicing, but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Google and Youtube tell me it's basically just getting down into the yogic hip opening pose, bum close to the floor, elbows on the inside of my knees. Is this correct? How long/how often should I be holding this pose? 

I'm planning on starting pre-natal yoga and have heard they cover this so I guess I can wait to see an actual demonstration but thought I'd check here first! 
  It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Squatting properly?

• Sounds about right. My husband and I recently started the Bradley method classes. Squatting is part of the daily homework. 
    ttp://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/bradley-method-moms-natural-childbirth/topic/bradley-prenatal-exercises.html

Try to make sure your heels are on the ground. May need to have something to lean on if that is difficult for you. I would guess that a prenatal class would embed squatting ( as it is in most standard yoga classes) into the practice. I try to squat a few times a day for 30 secs-1 minute. Come up very slowly so as not to get dizzy. 

Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi there! I did yoga for a few years and attended prenatal. To check your alignment first start by standing legs a little over hip width apart. It's also helpful to have a block behind you or pillow in case you don't know if you can do a full squat.

With your arms raised, start to sink down without bending your back, move your hands into a praying pose at your chest and sink down into a squat. Your elbows will be pushing and keeping your thighs open.

You'll naturally want to arch your back forward here which is what you want to avoid, so keep using your arms to push open your hips and keep your back as straight as possible. Sit on that pillow or block if too deep. When ready to get back up, push into your legs and get up without arching, or modify by pushing into the ground with your hands for some momentum.
  • Loading the player...
  • Never let your knees go over your toes! And pop your booty out on the way down!

#1 CP August 17, 2014

#2 Rainbow Baby EDD June 24, 2015!!!

• How many squats should I be doing a day? Should I be increasing that number every day?
  • I do two different things that my midwives recommended. Every other day I do 100 squats. I stand with my feet a little wider than hip width and lower my bottom until I feel my PC muscles fully engaged. I then stand up and squeeze my glutes. After 4 sets of 25 of these I get into a sqat similar to what they use to go potty in other countries (does that make sense?) and hold it for 5-10 minutes, depending on how I'm feeling that day. Honestly I barely feel anything during this time and it is more of a balance exercise for me. Sometimes I'll pulse during it too. I do this because I may want to birth in a squat and want to be able to handle it without shaky muscles. Also it's great for the PC muscles.

My workout routine goes likes this, but may change as I get bigger:
    Mon/Wed/Fri: Walk 30 mins on treadmill at 3.0 pace. 100 squats. 10 mins in deep squat.
    Tues/Thurs: Walk 30 mins on treadmill. Spend about 10 minutes working my arms out with 3 lb weights just doing whatever feels good and gets them tired.
    Saturday: 1 hour low intensity cardio circuit. My husband does Insanity so I follow along and do way lower intensity modified moves. Mostly jogging in place, kicks, squats, etc.
    Sunday: Swim for 30 minutes. I try to just get down the length of the pool and back 10 times so that's 500 yards in any way that feels good at the time. Then some stretching in water. Swimming is my favorite day of the week - it makes my body feel so good and I get a break from walking around feeling like a soccer ball is strapped to my stomach.

The only other thing I do is the kegals that are in the "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" book. Right now I'm in phase two of doing 3 sets of 12 reps throughout the day. Each Rep is tightening the PC muscle for 10 seconds, with a greater intensity in the last 5 seconds if that makes sense. It probably sounds like I do a lot but honestly I don't at all. I take a day off if I'm not feeling it. I have a treadmill at work for the walking and then do the squats or arms when I get home, and we have a indoor pool at the park behind our house. But so far this routine has helped me at least feel like I've kept some of my muscle tone and my legs and PC muscles will be good to go on the birth day. I hope this helps! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The toilet is a GREAT place to labor...was probably my favorite spot.  You get to be in the squatting position, let whatever is coming out just come out without making a mess and you get to rest your legs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"