Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

choking on milk

is anyone else having problems with their LO choking/drinking way too fast on breastmilk?

I'm guessing its the fast letdown....but it stresses me out and I am paranoid during feedings and feel like I want to constantly unlatch him to give him a break to swallow....

Re: choking on milk

• Options
    It helps if you lean back a little bit, prop yourself up on some pillows, it will slow down.
  • Options
    I have a similar problem and a fellow bumpie recommended this resource

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO chokes on my fast let down, so I try to listen for the signs before it happens. If I can hear giant, loud slurps, one after the other, and he starts speeding up to try to swallow it all, I just pull him off the breast. No amount of leaning back helps me, and unfortunately I get soaked in the process, but you can always lay down a burp cloth under your breast, or let your milk flow into your pad.
  • Options
    We struggle with this.. I always switch to a leaning back position in the recliner or propped up on pillows in bed.  I lay LO on my belly/abdomen vertically and let her latch that way. With her on her belly she tends to make a mess on me, but she also has to slow way down since she doesn't have gravity helping her.  I just take off my top completely and lay a receiving blanket down on my abdomen to help keep things "neater."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have this problem and I will just lean back and haven't had much trouble since, it took me a few times to get the hang of feeding that way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"