Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Screaming

Anybody else have a screamer and how are you handling this? DH and I took DD grocery shopping yesterday and he said he could hear her on the other side of the store screaming.  She screams when she is excited and she screams when she is pissed.  I tell her no screaming and that we need to use our indoor voice when in public but it doesn't help much.  Any advice?

Re: Screaming

• Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try that next time we go shopping. We do let her yell and scream any other time if we are outside or playing at home.
  • We've been working on volume control in church.  Miraculously (pun intended) this past Sunday DD was relatively quiet and actually sat still through most of the mass.  But I usually have to hold her and whisper in her ear that this is quiet time.  I let her scream/talk loudly during the singing but any other time I try to have her understand she needs to listen to the person reading/speaking.

One thing that has worked for me is getting down on DDs level and telling her to "look at mama" and then I speak clearly and concisely.  Use as little words as possible to get your point across so LO will understand.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is a screamer, too, both happy and sad. All I can really do at this age is tell her over (and over and over) again, "When we're inside we use inside voices." I try to say it to her in a normal, even tone, to model an appropriate volume for indoors. Yeah, I know she won't get it much at her age, but I'm hoping one day the repetition will stick.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"