VBAC

VBAC with no pitocin?

I had already decided on a repeat c-section and it's scheduled for early January. I had 2 vaginal births and then a c-section for a breech baby. Loved my c-section, actually. It was great and my recovery was easier than with vaginal. I am still hesitating a bit b/c of the studies showing that c-section babies have higher risks for allergies, asthma, and obesity in the long term. But, my first was induced, and they had me maxed out on pitocin during labor. With my second, my water broke at 41 weeks, but I had no contractions until they gave me pitocin later. MY OB will not give me pitocin with a VBAC, which I understand and think is smart. 

If I would change my mind and decide to try a VBAC, I am not sure if I will go into labor on my own in time. I'm also almost 40 so they don't want me to go more than a week overdue. I don't know if it's worth the uncertainty if I am unlikely to be able to labor on my own anyway. Anyone with a similar situation at all???
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: VBAC with no pitocin?

• I recently had a VBAC after my original Dr told me that it was impossible and would be high risk and she wanted to perform a C sec on me at 37 weeks. 
    I switched Drs at 36 weeks and had a VBAC (no pitocin) at 41 weeks. 
    Everything went fine and healthy baby. 
    If you are in any doubts, get a second opinion. 
    Something like this, you dont want to wander and look back and think " what if"
    What makes you think you are unable to go in to labor on your own?
    Are they wiling to sweep you to get things going if needed? 
  • I attempted a VBAC with #2. I was induced by breaking my water at 40wk4d (didn't go any longer because only one Dr in the practice was willing to induce me so I had to do it when she was on call). I was in full blown labor within 30 min. Went from 1-6cm in 5hrs then stalled out. She was willing to give me pitocin but my contractions never slowed down enough to start it. They had it ready and hanging but I never got a drop.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Why won't your doctor use pitocin? ACOG's stance on pitocin is that it is completely fine to use during a vbac. I would find a new dr if you really want to try for a vbac. Or show your dr what ACOG says and tell them that you want them to follow the recommendations that ACOG puts out.
  • Hi there, new to the board.

My OB also does not induce for VBAC because of the risk, so I will only have one if I go into spontaneous labor.

Luckily, every pregnancy is different. With my son, I never felt a single contraction until I was 10 days overdue and hooked up to pitocin. He was sunny side up (which we found out only during the section) and was not pushing my cervix enough to dilate during labor.

My main OB is wonderful and understands my birth wishes...he's willing to let me go as far as 42 weeks on my own as long as baby and I are healthy, and I've already had some BH contractions beginning at 18 weeks (I'm almost 23 now) which we hope means my body is more prepared to go into labor on it's own.

I'll be reading up one various natural techniques to start labor when I get closer to my due date since this is something I'm really hoping for. This isn't for everyone, but I'm also reading some Ina May Gaskin resources because I'm hoping to have a med-free VBAC.

Good luck to you, whatever your decision!
  • I believe that I read somewhere (sorry, don't have the source) that pitocin is not appropriate for INDUCING a VBAC, but once active labor has begun on a VBAC, pitocin can be used to further labor without harm. That's the impression I got from my midwife as well. She will NOT induce me (and I thank her for that!).
  • I've had 3 successful VBACs - no pitocin - labor on my own! :) it can happen!! I had to wait for them.... 42 weeks, 40+6, & 41+3
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in similar situation as you. My doctor has agreed to do VBAC with the conditions that:
    1. no pitocin
    2. no past beyond 41 weeks

I will be 38 when I deliver. Unlike you I've never had a vaginal delivery though, so I'm really not sure if this will work. 
    Me: 38, DH: 41
    TTC#2 since Feb 2013
    10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
    02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
    03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
    04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
    05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
    07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
    11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board