Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

What to buy before shower

I'm a FTM due in mid February . I keep getting coupons for bru and buy buy baby that are better than the completion discount will be. You can't use them on diapers/wipes and I don't plan to formula feed, so I'm wondering what to buy pre-shower. My shower isn't til mid January and I don't want to be stuck buying things at mostly full price if I don't get everything at my shower. I bought the crib and mattress so far and am considering just stocking up on laundry detergent and soap/lotion type things. Any wisdom?

Re: What to buy before shower

• Options
    I'd just get furniture at this point.

Don't buy detergent and soaps-you don't know if your lo may have an allergy to something. Also, 'baby laundry detergents' are not as gentle as they are marketed.... They are full of fragrances and softners, and are way overpriced. Your better off picking up a free clear of whatever brand you use.

You'll likely get lots of gift cards, so plan on doing a big shopping trip the weekend after your shower so you can inventory everything you already recieved.

For bigger items you may not receive, check on amazon as their prices are often the same or better than you can get in store with the 20% off coupons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    I would wait. They send out coupons all the time.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just FYI buy buy baby is owned by Bed Bath and Beyond and take expired coupons. Don't worry about using them right away.

I agree to check Amazon, there's only a couple things I've found that Amazon doesn't carry or somewhere has a better sale.

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your help.  I've only been buying the most mild detergents that are okay by the Environmental Working Group, so I'm not too concerned about that affecting baby.  I'm thinking I might get the carseat because it was on sale on top of the coupons and the cash back on my registry items : ) Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you get a great deal Id buy all the boring stuff like crib sheet covers, changing pad covers, medicines, burp cloths, bottles, dishwasher baskets, bottle warmers, swaddles etc as people don't tend to buy those and if they do return what you bought and use your money towards what you need. I was glad I did that as I didn't get those items and I wanted to have them for when she was born.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    No nursery is complete without a personalized piggy bank!!! 
  • Options

I bought our stroller because I wanted a specific BOB model and wanted to buy it from a particular store (100% return policy) that puts them on sale once per year. And I bought a car seat because the $180 Chicco dropped in price to $150 on Amazon.  Other than that I waited until the shower.  I was pretty much stocked after that.  All I needed to replenish throughout the first year I subscribed to via amazon mom for the savings...but more for the convenience!

Don't stock up on too much.  Even with diapers which I got on discount via amazon mom, I ended up not using entire boxes because DD would outgrow them and I didn't bump her up in size soon enough.  Plus that is a lot to store and baby items tend to take up a lot of space already.

• Options
    We bought everything that we wanted or needed... such as crib, mattress, dresser, shelves, chair, stroller (bob), pack and play, change pad...cloth diapers, etc. We did not buy clothes since we had our DD we have not needed to buy any clothes for her. Everyone likes to buy clothes as gifts so we did not depend on others to buy the big ticket items.
    (The only thing we got was money for the crib from one set of grandparents since that was their gift) if people plan to get big items most of the time that would be communicated to you ahead of time.
    Have fun setting up the nursery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"