October 2014 Moms
Options

Birth control ladies?

Ok what are your thoughts on birth control post pregnancy. I went to my post pregnancy appt and talked about options. Apparently there are 3 options for breastfeeding mammas.
1. Condoms
2. The mini pill
3. IUD
As I am allergic to condoms and was never good at taking my pills the exact same time everyday (which is more important with the mini pill) I am leaning towards the Merina IUD. Anyone have experience with this and breastfeeding? 
What are your plans?

Re: Birth control ladies?

• Options
    @alfibet‌ that's exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    We are going to be doing IUD. No desire for condoms and I really don't want to try to remember taking a pill at the same time every day. Given my PCOS, I need to be on some type of hormone regulation, that leaves Mirena.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @alfibet‌ I had a Mirena after DS1. I loved it and I got pregnant with DS2 2 months after having it removed, vs 22 months of trying for DS1 after stopping a progesterone only pill. (Not that it's the same for everyone, but I had a good experience.)

DD - 4/9/08      DS1 - 7/26/12     DS2 - 10/7/14

• Options
    I'm going with the one that's like mirena but it's a lower dose of hormones after talking to my doctor. Which btw if you want don't have sex for 2 weeks. She said its effective immediately after its inserted and lasts 3 years. Doesn't effect fertility. I had a friend that got pregnant right after hers was removed but everyone's body is different so I would mention your concerns to your doctor. I'm pumped about it I was really bad about taking the pill regularly it's seriously a Christmas miracle that we never oopsied
  • Options
    I don't have experience with mirena and breastfeeding, but I LOVE the mirena. I'll have my fourth one after DS2. I have PCOS, and it helped regulate my cycle. The only thing I say is MAKE SURE to check for the strings at least once a month. They tell you to do so, but it's easy to become complacent.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the IUD a few years ago and hated it. I don't know if it was inserted wrong but sex was painful for me with it in. I'm not really in any danger of getting pregnant but I think I'll go with the mini pill and take it before bed like I do with my prenatal vitamin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    alfibet said:

@hgielrebmik‌ thank you! That's good to know. How long did you have the iud in before removing it?

I actually only had it in for about 15 months. Since it took so long to get pregnant with DS1 we decided to start trying for #3 sooner than we originally planned.

DD - 4/9/08      DS1 - 7/26/12     DS2 - 10/7/14

• Options
    After DS2 I had mirena....bf until he was 9 months old...and had no issues with supply. I loved mirena, I still got a period most months but it was very light and short. I would do it again, but this time DH is going the permanent route.
    Everyone's experience is different, but most people I know had positive ones with mirena. GL
  • Options
    I went the permanent route as well. I hate condoms, I suck royally at taking pills in general...let alone on a schedule, and the IUD I had for a few very short months after DD#1 gave me too much anxiety. (I was always checking for my strings and if it seemed different at all I panicked etc)

I was on the shot for years before deciding to TTC but it took us almost two years to conceive DD#1 after quitting it and have joint issues as a result.

We used NFP and breastfeeding between the kids to get the age gaps we wanted. :)
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options
    I want the IUD because I suck at taking anything the same time daily. I need hormonal control for my suspected PCOS. BUT, I'm scared of complications.

However, my fear of having another child far outweighs any fears of complications.
  • Options
    None of the above. Between our fertility issues and bfing the doctor thinks our chance of actually getting pregnant is very slim. It took 8 iui and 2 ivf to get ds. That being said, I'll probably be the special one that ends up with 2u2. But we would actually have to have sex for that to happen and I am too damn tired to even think about that much less have the energy for it.
    DS born 7/5/2001
    Married DH 2010
    TTC since 2010
    8 IUI and 2 IVF cycles
    BFP - TWINS! - Lost twin A at 17w5d 
    Still pregnant with Twin B!!!! Due 10/16/2014
    Hospital bed rest 5/10-7/20
    William born at 27 weeks and 3 days

• Options
    I guess mini pill and condoms, I haven't thought about it yet. I am def not prepared for another LO.

• Options
    What's the non-hormonal iud? We've always used condoms. I actually prefer the lack of clean up for me. The only two times they didn't work were the two times we didn't use them...once 11 years ago that got us a sweetest little boy, and once in January and that angel is in my lap right now. ;)
  • Options
    For you lady's with PCOS choosing to go the IUD route, did the pill not cut it for you? I was diagnosed with PCOS while workin with the RE to conceive Solomon. My RE mentioned going on the pill after having him, so I assumed it was the best option.

Tell me your experiences!
  • Options
    I'm getting Mirena again.  It's already at the doctor's office waiting for me.  I had it for 3 years after DD1 and didn't have any complications and no periods during that time as well.  It did take 7 cycles to get pregnant with DD2 but I think that was mainly because my DH works night shift and it's pretty hard to have sex and get pregnant only on the weekends lol.  Until I get it placed we'll use condoms.  I definitely don't want anymore.  I don't think I could handle another newborn stage and I have a unicorn baby that sleeps 7 hours at night.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I wanna get my tubes tied. But its going to be hard to convince my, or any other, doctor to do it because Im so young. She's already tried to convince me of getting an IUD but I feel like I'll either be messed up again (the pill did not agree with me when I took it) or incredibly paranoid about it. Plus, I'll just have to keep getting them replaced until I'm menopausal. So.

• Options
    I wanna get my tubes tied. But its going to be hard to convince my, or any other, doctor to do it because Im so young. She's already tried to convince me of getting an IUD but I feel like I'll either be messed up again (the pill did not agree with me when I took it) or incredibly paranoid about it. Plus, I'll just have to keep getting them replaced until I'm menopausal. So.
    Could you convince your SO to get a vasectomy instead?
    Well, see. The argument the doctor gives you is "What if you and SO break up and you find someone else who wants to have kids?" My answer is: That person will have to accept my kids as their own or I'll have to find someone else who is okay with me not having any more. I know I'm done having babies. What this partner or any hypothetical future partners want, doesn't matter to me.

So my short answer is No. Whether or not he wants a vasectomy is 100% up to him. 

• Options
    I've heard some horror stories about IUDs and did not have a good experience on hormonal bc in my twenties so neither option is appealing to me. We are not sure if we will have a third child, mostly because I don't want a third csection at this point, so this is a predicament.

This may be flameworthy but we will probably just use the pull out method while I monitor my CM for signs of fertility in order to TTA. I remember hearing that it's actually a lot more effective than we were led to believe in sex ed.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    I will be using a diaphragm. Me and hormones don't mix.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    I'm going with the birth control implant. Nexplanon, I think it's called... Goes in your arm and lasts for three years! (Unless you want it out sooner (: )
  • Options
    I got the depoprevera (sp?) shot... Fine for BFing and lasts for 3 months...
  • Options
    I've talked to my DH about it and kind of informed him to get used to condoms again. I don't want to mess with many forms of BC because of BF and really don't want an IUD either. This approach will probably work the best for us for the next year or so before we try for #2. Plus, you have to have sex to get pregnant and that's the furthest thing from my mind at this point haha.

• Options
    Mirena IUD here...I'm horrible at taking pills, which is how we got DS. Plus we probably won't start trying again for 2 years.
  • Options
    I discussed the arm implant with my OB before LO was born. She said I couldn't do it while BFing, so I would have to either do poll or condoms in the meantime.
  • Options

MorganWP said:

Could you convince your SO to get a vasectomy instead?
    Dh's best friend got a vasectomy because his wife almost died while pregnant (she had pre-existing medical conditions and was told pregnancy wasn't a good idea). Two years later they got divorced and he would like more kids but would have to try for a reversal.
  • Options
    Last year I had a benign liver tumor removed that my doctor thinks could be related to years of hormonal birth control, so needless to say hormonal options are out for me. DH and I are leaning toward TTC #3 after a year or two, so I'm debating between an IUD or NFP. DD was conceived when we got lazy with NFP, but getting knocked up, even if a bit earlier than intended wouldn't be unwelcome. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"