Trouble TTC

What to Expect from First RE Appt. and What Questions to Ask

Hi Ladies!  I am wondering what advice you have for me going into my first RE appointment on Monday.  What should I expect?  Any questions I should ask?  I will be at CD20, 5 DPO if that is helpful.  
TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart

Re: What to Expect from First RE Appt. and What Questions to Ask

• I agree with everything @DaydreamSam‌ said. Do not be afraid to ask them to explain anything that you don't understand. Good luck!
    Me-33 DH-36.
    Married 11/10 TTC 11/10
    06/11- diagnosed with PCOS 
    7/11- D&C and benched for a year 
    9/12-4/13-6 rounds of 50 mg Clomid- no sucess 
    6/13- new doc
    7/13-4/14- 6 more rounds of Clomid. 50 mg and then stepped up to 100mg- no success 
    5/14-7/14- took break waiting for new insurance 
    7/14-new insurance= new doc- actually a RE!!!! 
    7/14-HSG and blood test good-PCOS confirmed by new doc 
    10/14 looking forward to 1st IUI w/ Menopur. Blood Test= Negative
    11/14- IUI #2
    w/ Menopur- Blood Test= Negative
    1/15- IUI # 3 w/
    Menopur- Blood Test= Negative
    2/15- Self Benched this cycle
    3/15/15-Suprise BFP on natural cycle!!!! EDD-11/16/15

• Thank you.  I have actually not had any blood work done since the OB doesn't test until you've either had multiple losses or you hit the 6/12 month mark on ttc.  I decided to bypass testing with the OB in favor of seeing an RE as I did not want to have to repeat testing.  

I think I am going to ask for a script to do 7dpo progesterone and perhaps amh testing for next Wednesday.  Then cd3 bloodwork for whenever that is (most likely the 12th).  I do hope she does an ultrasound.

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • I kept a little note book for a couple days and wrote down every question that came to mind. I was pretty excited about the apt to finally get started and on the road. I was also SO WORRIED I would make that 2 hour drive, get there and he would draw blood and take a pee test and tell me he'd call back with the results. THANKFULLY that is not how it went down. He sat down went over my history and actually did an ultra sound on the spot. I went in expecting very little, and honestly by the end of the apt he had me diagnosed and had surgery set up and knew what we would do after the surgery and for how long which steps would happens where and under what kind of circumstances. He let me rattle off every question on my list and it was lengthy. I felt silly but after the fact I was able to come home (hubs couldn't make it with me) and tell him everything that happened with confidence. I felt educated when I left about my body and my fertility or lack there of. Don't be nervous to ask anything, they are there for you, it's there job to make you feel safe and aware of every step they take. Every apt is different and every doc is diff. But he did take blood and run a full panel as well as urine samples and had me sign a release from my other DR's to get all of my other medical records sent to him. He went deep into my history and asked me tons of questions too. The first apt took about an hour and a half if not longer.
    Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
  • I just met with my RE for the first time on Tuesday.. I agree with what most of the PP have said.. They talk to you ask a ton of questions... They did a TV U/S on me and measured my uterus and ovaries, assessed damaged from chemo, did a follicle count ( I am unsure what CD I am on as I don't have AF), then we talked more, decided what else needed to be done which was blood work, a SA for DH, and then discussed if everything came back ok what our treatment options would be.. Then they did my b/w on the spot and made my next appt in two weeks to get started on treatment... Mine is a little on the uncommon side as I knew what was causing my infertility (cancer treatments) and I had gone to an High Risk Ob/GYN before and they had spoken on the phone and came up with the best treatment options given my history and present medical conditions.. Every RE is different.. Sometimes they will simply talk to you and do no testing at all the first appointment.. But the most important thing is to ask questions and don't be afraid to speak up!
    Married: 12/15/2012    TTC: 08/2014
    Husband: 26 SA: normal
    Me: 23 Low AMH and damaged ovaries due to chemotherapy.
    No AF or O in 3 years. HSG showed a slight T shaped uterus.

High Risk OB 9/29- got the ok to get pregnant.
    RE Appt:  10/28/ U/S showed follicles, but also small damaged ovaries.
    B/W results CD0: all normal except low AMH at 1.3
    Cycle 1-November (TI)- Femera 2.5mg, 2mg Estradoil, and Trigger=BFN
    Cycle 2-December (TI)- Femera 2.5 mg ,4mg Estradoil, and Trigger= No O
    Cycle 3-January (TI)- Femera 5 mg, 2mg Estra
    doil, and Trigger=

• Just had my first RE appt yesterday. It went very similarly to what PP said. DH went with and it was nice for him to hear everything and be able to ask questions too. We reviewed both of our medical histories, reviewed my recent b/w and TV U/S results in detail. She layed out our first plan of attack and explained letrozole vs. Clomid and detailed what a cycle taking one of those will be like. She also reviewed what other testing she'd like done (1 more piece of b/w for me and SA for DH) and ordered the tests right away. I had blood drawn before leaving the building. She answered any/all questions we had and was extremely thorough with her explanations/answers. It was truly a really good experience all things considered! A lot of information, but I enjoyed learning and having my questions answered.

Good luck on Monday! Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions!
  • I am still waiting to have the first appointment with my RE, so I don't have much to contribute on that front. I just wanted to wish you good luck!
    ****SIGGY WARNING****

TTC since May 2013

Me: 31, blocked tube
    DH: 35, azoospermia :(
    IUI #1 (50 mg Clomid, Ovidrel) on 9/7/2014: BFN
    IUI #2 (100 mg Clomid, Ovidrel) on 10/3/2014:
    BFN
    IUI #3 (100 mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Estradiol) on 11/1/2014: BFN
    First RE appt. on 11/11/2014
    November 2014: Benched due to cyst :(
    IUI #4 (5 mg Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel, Crinone) on 12/26/2014: BFP!!!
    Beta 1 (1/9/2015): 292     Beta 2 (1/12/2015): 843

• Thank you so much everyone!

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
  • @MustangChic‌ is right. It will feel like an over load of info all at once. But once you get home to you SO you guys are in a comfortable environment you can come at it from all sides and if you have more questions write them down again for the next apt. Don't be overwhelmed it will seem like "there is no way I can remember all of this wait slow down let me take notes" but so far I haven't heard of any RE being mean or rude. This is their field this is all they do they are pretty good at it. They will work with you to help make sure you know what's going on. Don't be in too big of a rush to understand it all. For us it was like "yes I'm at the apt I will magically leave here KO" hahahahah I keep even now tho I know better. I can't help but feel it has to happen right this second since I have an answer. It's all normal don't get down on your self and don't set crazy high goals. Talk to you doc get their opinion about a time line and just loosely go with it. The whole RE and TTTC road is far smoother if you take a breath and a step back. Get a look at the big picture and then get back to making baby steps forward. Your going to do awesome
    Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"