May 2014 Moms

Coconut oil for thrush?

So, DS has thrush, and now I am pretty much certain I have it. On my boobs obviously. (Agggh the burn!) I read it can be treated with coconut oil, so today I got some EVCO, do I just rub it on my nipples, and in his mouth. Do I need to treat his bum with it too? He has a slight rash. I also plan on sanitizing all his bottles, my pump parts and toys etc with my steamer sanitizer and distilled vinegar. I read it can be repeatedly passed between us though- how can I prevent that, other then treating us both at the same time? Calling Dr in the morning to see what she recommends as far as a cream for LO, but I don't have insurance ATM so what should I take/use? Any other recommendations? I have never had it before or had to deal with this so I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information I am reading via google...
Nikolas Knight 
Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter

Re: Coconut oil for thrush?

• I used nystatin (rx) cream on my nips and her bum. It's important to treat both so you don't keep passing it back and forth. I've read you can use lotrimin (not rx), but you have to wipe it off before bf. If insurance is an issue, I'd ask the doc about that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies, I hear Lotrimin works too, I am treating both of us with coconut oil and diluted vinegar now, have a Dr appointment for LO first thing tomorrow morning. So far the coconut oil has worked on my nipples and his bum. No more pain or burning so at least I think it is working. FX.
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• Loading the player...
  • I tried everything for thrush, including prescription meds for us both. If it happened again, I'd start with gentian violet before anything else.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Dr said his was a very mild case. It appears we are both clearing up using the coconut oil already. H can't smooch the baby, and I warned him to stay far, far away from my boobs... he is allergic to coconut.  >:)
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"