February 2014 Moms

For those of you with children in daycare: How did you land a spot in a center?

I have decided that I would like to put LO in day care for a few hours a week while I decide if I want to go back to work or start a business. I naively thought that I would interview a bunch of centers and pick the one that was the best fit. Little did I realize every single daycare in my area is booked. Some aren't even putting new people on the wait list (which sort of defeats the purpose of a wait list, but whatever.) So how did you ladies manage to score a spot in a day care center?

Re: For those of you with children in daycare: How did you land a spot in a center?

• I started a new one a month ago. I got lucky I guess. They had immediate openings.
  • For our first center (before we moved), we toured some while I was still pregnant and secured a spot.

Most recently, my H put W on a wait list of a few places. We were told "6 months to a year" wait for all of them. We were lucky enough to get a spot earlier than expected. 

We're still on a year + waiting list for the university daycare where my H works. When/if a spot becomes available for W, we'll transfer her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We were touring when I was still pregnant, and put down a deposit the week after she was born. It's not super competitive where we are, but most places did have wait lists of a couple months. We also needed part time care on specific days which was more challenging to find.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Hmmm....Maybe I'll have more luck if I schedule a tour? They don't even want to seem to talk to me over the phone. They are nice, but simply say "no. we are full. not putting people on the wait list at this time. Good bye?" Maybe I should be nice but more aggressive? Make follow up calls? 
  • We toured in Sept for childcare starting in April. We got on a few wait lists and our top pick called us in late January. It was definitely nerve wracking. I was starting to call family and piece together what would happen if we didn't find something. No special tips or processes here. Just lots of calls, lots of wait lists (only ones we were happy with though, of course) and crossing fingers!

Good luck!
  • sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited October 2014
    Could the reason you're getting blown off be that you're only looking for a few hours a week? Most centers around me only do full time care or maybe 3-4 days per week.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • No I am applying for full time
  • sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited October 2014
    Oh sorry, on your original post you said you were interested in daycare a few hours a week?
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • jpoindahousejpoindahouse member
    edited October 2014
    sdlaura said:

Oh sorry,
    original post you said you were
    interested in daycare a few hours a week?

Yes, sorry you're correct about my post was very confusing. I'm applying to all different programs, part-time, full-time. Whatever they have available.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"