Blended Families

miscarriage at 5 weeks while taking antidepressant

Hi guys..I'm looking for some help/advice on my recent miscarriage.
On september 19 was the start of my last period. Which my ovulation time would have been around oct 1st or so.On October 17th which is the day I was expecting my period I bled for about an hour.and nothing else the rest of the day.Which was strange..i figured that may have been implantation bleeding..the next day I took 3 hpts and they were all positive.i was very excited as this would be my 2nd pregnancy..so being the health freak i am..i knew antidepressants and pregnancy aren't good so I decided to stop cold turkey the paxil I have been on for last 5 months.on the 21st I went down to local pregnancy center and they confirmed I was pregnant. .approx about 4 weeks and couple days.
during that whole week I was having very crazy withdrawl symptoms from my paxil..i was nauseous all week as well as dizzy everytime I stood up and having brain zaps..it was horrible.so my body didn't not know what was going on.between being pregnant and stopping my paxil.
On friday the 24th..i started to spot a little bit and have cramping so I went to the er.where they did urine and blood test..and did an ultrasound..they couldn't see anything on ultrasound cause I was only about 5 weeks along..they could only see a thickening endometrial lining.i still had hope cause she said they typically cant see anything this early.after the ultrasound about 3 hours later they said both my urine and blood test came back negative..wouldn't give me what my hcg levels were..just said they were very low.and said if I was pregnant I'm not anymore.they were very rude and not very sympathic...it was crazy being I was just at the the pregnancy center 3 days prior with a positive pregnancy test..i was devestated..i bled friday and Saturday and that was it..like everything is back to normal.
Is it possible that the withdrawl symptoms my body was having to deal with from the paxil is what caused my miscarriage.?.
If I would have just continued to take the paxil could I have possibly saved my baby.?
Or was it even anything to do with my paxil.?
Any help or advice will help
We are back ttc.

Re: miscarriage at 5 weeks while taking antidepressant

• :::Lurker:::

I am so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like a chemical pregnancy, which is a very early miscarriage (before a gestational sac can be seen on an ultrasound).

Whatever you decide to do going further, please talk to your mental health doctor.  It is never a good idea to quit antidepressants cold turkey.  I don't believe that it had an affect on your pregnancy (since you were so early).  However, the changes in your hormone levels and the changes from withdrawing from the Paxil could have been very dangerous for your overall health.

Take care of yourself and your DH.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Cnon
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"