April 2014 Moms

Would you take LO to the DR for this?

I am at work and just got a call from DD's sitter that she can hear a raspy sound in DD's chest when she is breathing.  DD was fine last night, and she has not had a cold so I am not sure what this would be.  At the same time, breathing issues are nothing to mess around with so I don't want to just blow it off. 

If this were you would you just stay at work and hope everything is fine, pick LO up from the sitter and keep an eye on her, or take her to the Ped?

Re: Would you take LO to the DR for this?

• UPDATE -

She just now texted me that she doesn't hear the noise anymore so I am thinking maybe there was just some milk or saliva hung up somewhere and it has been cleared out?  She is teething and is drooling like a maniac

• This happened with my daughter several times, and a few times when she was sick. I listened to her chest and her back though and couldn't hear anything. I could only hear it externally, so I realized that it was probably just phlegm or milk stuck toward the back of her throat that she couldn't/didn't cough to clear it out. She was fine.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate to blow off an actual breathing issue - it just would be strange for her to actually have chest congestion at this point when she hasn't been sick.  Right?

• *sparky* said:

I hate to blow off an actual breathing issue - it just would be strange for her to actually have chest congestion at this point when she hasn't been sick.  Right?

Right, that would be strange for such a sudden onset like that. In my experience (of having colds), it usually builds up to chest congestion. I don't start out with it.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Vinny424 said:

My son has it sometimes. It just sounds like phlegm and he doesn't know how to cough it out

This. Jack has this now. We just came from the ped (for his well-check) and she said it's no big deal. Maybe the start of a cold, but nothing serious.
  • Vinny424 said:

My son has it sometimes. It just sounds like phlegm and he doesn't know how to cough it out

This. I just pat his back a few times and make sure I don't hear it consistently.
  • Thanks everyone.  I just wanted a little reassurance that it was ok to say this is NBD. 

• Personally I would call the ped and maybe bring them in for a sudden noise in breathing since it could be a sign that they've managed to swallow something that is potentially in danger of obscuring the airway.  My niece swallowed a tiny chunk of walmart bag when she was 7 months old and my sister found her turning blue during her nap almost 2 hours later.  Not saying that's what this is at all, but just saying why I never take breathing issues lightly.  I'd rather go to the pedi for no reason. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• We get it sometimes in the mornings. She isn't very effective at clearing it so it sounds raspy for a bit until it clears.
  • Hope things have cleared up! It's easy to mistake crud on the vocal folds for a deeper lung sound.
  • Yeah what smushi said. I think when it sounds wet and raspy it's generally stuff on the vocal cords. Both my kids have had that a lot and with my daughter I thought for sure it was pneumonia.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I ended up not picking her up or taking her to the doctor and she is fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"