Breastfeeding

newb to the boob

Hello ladies!

I stumbled upon this board and got super excited! A little background... I just turned 25 and have a 5 yo DD who will be 6 in April. I am due May 13th. DH and I have been together since 2010, and married since 2013. This is our first together. With DD, I was 19 yo when I had her, and had very little support concerning BF. She never latched properly and I didn't have the resources or any mild knowledge of BF in general, and eventually gave up and FF. (I didn't even know pumping was an option!) This go around, I REALLY want to BF. My SIL has tried to inform me as much as she can, but she and her NB are still getting the hang of it as well. I was wondering what you guys have found most useful in your BF journey. Such as must have's, good to have's and the not needed's. I am really nervous and I want to exclusively BF without bottles, but I know DD and DH will want to feed the baby as well so I really am not sure what route to go here. my SIL is a SLAVE to her pump as well... every 2 hours regardless, she is pumping. It seems very time consuming to pump... but I just want to do what is best for my baby... Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

Re: newb to the boob

• Congratulations! My LO never took to a bottle so I have fed him just straight from the source. My DH was initially a little disappointed from DS refusal of a bottle, he too wanted to feed LO, but later on he got to take a big part of his introduction to solids and still takes an active role in his solids meals.

As far as preparing and staying comfortable while nursing. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a nice resource and some hospitals may offer breastfeeding classes, through I ended up not taking one. Things that I consider essential are a nursing pillow, lanolin or nipple butter (to get through those first three weeks), some really good nursing bras and a nursing tank, nursing cover if you feel the need. For pumping you will probably want a hands free pumping bra and some breastfeeding friendly bottles.

One thing that I didn't expect was how long I would be nursing him, especially during those evening cluster feedings. I would sit there, nursing him on and off, for hours. So when you sit down to nurse make sure you are comfortable. Empty your bladder beforehand, have a tall glass of water ans some snacks handy, have some entertainment too.

Good luck mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! that sounds like amazing advice! :)

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • I second the idea of taking a class at the hospital. I found it very helpful. Also, find out if the hospital where you'll deliver has lactation consultants on staff and make sure they visit you early. Also, I found the breast feeding support group at my hospital to be really helpful (and free). You can get advice from the lactation consultants and other moms and weigh your baby to reassure yourself they're gaining properly and do a weighed feed (weigh the baby, nurse, weigh again) to figure out how much your baby is consuming during a nursing session. Good luck. It's hard work but worth it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would be prepared with resources. Is there an IBCLC in your area? Also, find a BF support group. Even if you have no issues, it's really helpful and encouraging to meet with other BF-ing moms. You can search on La Leche League's website for a local meeting. I love my meetings!
  • I would also research and screen some LCs before your baby arrives so you have it in your back pocket in case you need one. Also check out La Leche League - free meetings and are also a great support. Breastfeeding USA is another great support group. The KellyMom website has been a fantastic resource.
  • Take a class at your hospital and bring your DH.
    I'm not sure why your SIL is pumping every 2 hours and that is really not neccesary in most cases.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited October 2014
    SassFrass said:
    Hello ladies!

I stumbled upon this board and got super excited! A little background... I just turned 25 and have a 5 yo DD who will be 6 in April. I am due May 13th. DH and I have been together since 2010, and married since 2013. This is our first together. With DD, I was 19 yo when I had her, and had very little support concerning BF. She never latched properly and I didn't have the resources or any mild knowledge of BF in general, and eventually gave up and FF. (I didn't even know pumping was an option!) This go around, I REALLY want to BF. My SIL has tried to inform me as much as she can, but she and her NB are still getting the hang of it as well. I was wondering what you guys have found most useful in your BF journey. Such as must have's, good to have's and the not needed's. I am really nervous and I want to exclusively BF without bottles, but I know DD and DH will want to feed the baby as well so I really am not sure what route to go here. my SIL is a SLAVE to her pump as well... every 2 hours regardless, she is pumping. It seems very time consuming to pump... but I just want to do what is best for my baby... Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! TIA! 
    First off congrats!!! 
    I haven't read the thread so I'm sorry if I repeat anything.  One very useful piece of information that I now know is that breastfeeding can be really, really hard!  The first several weeks can really throw you for a loop.  I always say that if someone can get through the first couple months, things get easier and breastfeeding will really start to be enjoyable.  I hated nursing at first, my son was tongue-tied and I was recovering from a c/s.  He wasn't latching and he was colic.  It was a mess!  I thought about giving up several times, but I wouldn't let myself.  I knew I wanted it so I just kept pushing even though it sucked.  Once we got his tongue-tie repaired and I got him off a nipple shield, I was in Heaven!
    Also, don't believe anything the books tell you, like feeding every 2-3 hours and for 20 minutes at a time.  Be prepared for non-stop action.  A newborn can definitely want to nurse more often then 2-3 hours and it took my son an hour alone to nurse.  They get quicker and go longer in between the older they get.
    Go ahead and see a LC or research them.  Find your local LLL chapter and attend a meeting.  Those ladies are amazing! Buy The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, I call this book my breastfeeding bible.
    You also don't need to be a slave to a pump.  You don't have to pump at all, unless you are going back to work.  It is much easier on you to just nurse the baby.  No pumping, preparing, heating or cleaning involved.  Nurse baby on demand, don't watch the clock and pumping really isn't necessary.  If you want to pump to let others help you, you can, but it doesn't need to be all the time.  Pump one side in the morning while nursing the other side.  You have the most milk in the AM.  That way someone can feed baby, but remember if they are feeding baby a meal, you need to pump while they are doing so.  If not you're telling your body that it doesn't need to produce milk for that feeding.  It is a supply and demand kind of deal.  IMO, this is why I also think nursing is easier.  Sometimes their are other issues going on to where mom has to pump and not nurse.   
    Hope this is all helpful and good luck!
    Edited for an error...
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"