3rd Trimester
Options

TDAP Vaccine and Flu shot

Hi all... I'm a first time mom (27 1/2 weeks pregnant) and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten the TDAP and flu shot vaccines while pregnant. I asked my OB nurse about it and she really wasn't able to give me an answer, she mostly just wanted to know why I wanted it (very weird) and told me I would have to get it from my primary.

Does anyone have a little more info on this? Any information would be great, thanks.

Re: TDAP Vaccine and Flu shot

• Options
    AnonnAniAnonnAni member
    edited October 2014
    your primary or ob can give you them and as the PP said both are recommended during pregnancy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was given my flu shot right in the office of my OB's after asking about it.
    BFP #1 - 12.25.13 // MMC - 01.23.14
    BFP #2 - 03.27.14 // EDD - 12.07.14

• Options
    I got both two weeks ago at 27w both were suggested by my midwife
  • Options
    I got both from my OB, flu at 27wk and tdap at 29wk.  The CDC recommendation changed a couple years ago on the tdap.  All pregnant women should get it between 27-36 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    It's really weird to me that the OB nurse didn't recommend it and asked why you wanted it.

I got my flu shot at work (at 28w2d) because it was free, but my OB or PCP would have given it to me otherwise. I am getting the TDAP at my OB's in Friday at 28w4d. My PCP also recommended it and said he'd give it to me if my OB couldn't.
  • Options
    I got both... Dont get both on same day if you can avoid.. I was throwing up the day after and ended up in L&D for an IV to help me out and some Zofran. The first thing they told me was I should have spaced them out.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got both at my OB office (Tdap at 32 weeks, flu shot a few weeks later when they got it in stock), and I agree it's pretty weird that your OB's office didn't recognize them as a standard recommendation. If you're interested, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has a website specifically about what vaccines they recommend and why at https://www.immunizationforwomen.org/.

My husband got both vaccines as well at his primary physician's office, but it apparently took them an hour to decide that it was okay to give him the Tdap without seeing an actual doctor (he saw the RN), which is odd since you can go down to Walgreen's and sign a form to get the shot.
  • Options
    Got both at the OB office. Not at the same appointment. Didn't have to ask about it. They suggested both. I'm surprised your doc office was so shocked by you asking for it. In any case, you should get both.
  • Options
    I didn't even know they were recommended until my OB told me.  She made it seem like a routine thing (never asked if I wanted it, just told me I'd be getting it at my next apppointment).  She also highly recommended TDAP for my husband and anyone who would be spending a great deal of time with the baby.  
  • Options
    I didn't even know they were recommended until my OB told me.  She made it seem like a routine thing (never asked if I wanted it, just told me I'd be getting it at my next apppointment).  She also highly recommended TDAP for my husband and anyone who would be spending a great deal of time with the baby.  
  • Options
    I got my flu shot at work (it's required) and I have been pregnant twice while getting the vaccine.  I get the DTAP after I deliver.  It is safe for pregnant women, but I just waited the other times.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I got flu and TDAP from my OB at 30 weeks and 32 weeks respectively. 

A couple of years ago when I had my first, they were recommending that mothers get TDAP in the hospital after delivery, but my OB said that new research has shown that the mom getting TDAP in the 3rd trimester imparts some extra temporary immunity to the fetus (over and above if you were breastfeeding, and also for those women who formula feed) and that's why they are recommending it in pregnancy now. 

TDAP is important because it protects against pertusis/whooping cough which kills infants. All adults need a booster at least every 10 years. Make sure your partner, parents, friends, and anyone else who you expect to have close contact with your infant before it is 6-8 weeks old (and can get its own vaccines) has had a booster. If they can't remember when they last had it, they should go ahead and get it again. My PCP and OB both said that it's better to get it more often than once every 10 years than to wait. 
  • Options
    Got both at my OB's office around 27-28 weeks.
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Got both at my OB's office at 28 weeks.  Honestly, if your OB nurse was questioning you on getting them and not recommending it, I'd start looking for a new OB.  That is a frightening lack of knowledge.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It was part of my OB standard care, got both at 28 weeks and so did my husband. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I got my flu shot earlier this month and then when I went to my 28 week appointment my ob nurse suggested both shots. I explained I already had my flu shot but she gave me the tdap that visit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm odd, my ob gave me the Flu a few weeks ago and said when I get closer to due date (prob this upcoming 35 wk appt.) I will get the Tdap. They even said they'd give my husband his as long as he provides insurance info. 
  • Options
    Don't forget to have anyone that's going to be around the new little one (a lot) get them too!  It will keep everyone healthier ;-)
  • Options
    I'm getting both on Thursday.  My doctor said absolutely to both.  When my husband went in for his yearly physical a month or so ago, they told him he had to get the tdap shot.  I asked my ob about that and he said yes to him and any grandparents that would be watching the baby!!!  I was surprised as I have two other kids and never had that come up with them.  Must be something new in the last few years.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited November 2014
    My OB said they do the TDAP now because of a recent increase in whooping cough occurrences. It's a serious disease for young babies but they are too young to get the vaccine so they rely on mom for immunity. She said anyone who will be around the baby a lot should get it.

I got the flu shot from the pharmacy. My OB recommends it but her office doesn't give it.
  • Options
    Agree with what everyone else said. Especially with the TDAP. Whooping Cough terrifies me because it can turn deadly very quickly. I got my flu shot at my 28 week appointment and I'll be getting the TDAP at my 32 week.

• Options
    Got both and so did my husband. Standard care here 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"