October 2014 Moms
Options

Olivia's Birth Story (angeltennis3). Warning-c section complications mentioned

TLDR: Olivia Kay arrived at 7:48 pm on 10/28/2014 via unplanned c-section. She weighs 9 lb 10 oz and is 22 3/4 long and has beautiful dark brown hair and crazy long eye lashes!

Full story:

WARNING- C-Section complications mentioned.

At 41 weeks, my husband and I leisurely arrived at L&D for our scheduled induction. I wanted to go into labor on my own, but our girl had other plans. Since my blood pressure had been creeping up for weeks, my OB felt it would be dangerous to keep waiting.

I have very tiny veins, so it took the nurse three attempts to get an iv line started. After the first two attempts, I got very faint and the baby had a huge dip. They gave me something to eat and made me lay flat for a few minutes until everything went back to normal. Third time was the charm and they placed the iv.

The doctor checked me and I was a fingertip and 60% effaced. He said we would need to do at least 3 rounds of Cytotec over night to get my cervix in more favorable conditions. He placed the first dose and off we went!

We tried to sleep, but our girl hates the monitors they had on my stomach, so she kept kicking them til they dropped her heart beat. The nurse was in every 15 minutes replacing the monitors!

Around 2:00 am, contractions started and intensified quickly. To help me sleep, they have me Nobune to lessen the pain. Around 5 am, that wore off and the contractions were incredibly painful. I was crying through them. So, even though I was only 3 cm, we decided to go ahead and place the epidural. Oh sweet relief!

Since my contractions were strong and regular, they decided to hold off pitocin to see if my body would start to take over. Around noon, they checked me again and I was only at 3 1/2. Their biggest concern was our girl was not dropping into my pelvis. So they started me on a progressive pitocin drip. This caused my contractions to increase and come closer together, but I couldn't feel a thing!

The doctor checked me again at 4, 6, and 7 and I had only progressed to 4 cm. Baby was still so high, that they thought since she wasn't in my pelvis to put pressure on my cervix, that was why I wasn't progressing as I should.

Around 6:30 I kept feeling a lot of pressure in my bowel. By 7:00 I was crying because of how much pain that was causing me with each contraction. The anesthesiologist gave me additional medication to handle the pain. It helped, but it still hurt really bad. I would scream during contractions and couldn't stop crying.

At that time, the OB came in and said we have one of two choices. She could place a device up into my uterus to measure the strength of the contractions to make sure that what they were seeing on the monitor were strong enough to move the baby into my pelvis. However, since I was overdue and the size of my stomach, they were concerned the baby would just not fit through my pelvis. I had strongly suspected this was what it was going to come down to, and I had been emotional about it for hours before hand.

***C-Section complications mentioned***
I decided to go ahead with the c section. I was hysterical while they prepped me and I couldn't believe how fast they got me into the OR. I was still having some pains in my bowels, but it was manageable...until I felt all of the pressure of them trying to get the baby out. I have NEVER in my life thought so much pain was possible. I was screaming on the table because I was in so much pain. Whatever was causing me the contraction pain in my bowels before was back times 1,000. They tried to give me more pain medication but no matter what they did, I was in complete agony. My husband was crying because there was nothing he could do but sit there while I screamed at the top of my lungs during the c-section. I honestly thought my body was just going to rip in half the pain was so bad.

They finished the operation and as soon as they stopped putting pressure on my abdomen the pain stopped. I was able to see my baby girl and we had an extremely successful first breast feeding session in recovery.

All in all, it was worth it. One of the nurses said "in a way this is a good thing because next pregnancy you can decide if you want a RCS or a VBAC!" I couldn't believe she said that...because at the time both experiences were pretty traumatic for me. I am going to need some serious newborn cuteness for a while before I even begin to think about future children.

And now, our beautiful baby girl!
July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Olivia's Birth Story (angeltennis3). Warning-c section complications mentioned

• Options
    Congrats on your LO!  She's beautiful!  Sorry for the C-section complications but they also had trouble getting the pain medicine to work on me so I can understand that very well!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Congrats on your beautiful girl! Sorry it was so awful for you :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations on your little girl, sorry your birth experience was so horrible :(
  • Options
    Congratulations! Sorry to hear it was so traumatic!
  • Options
    Congrats on your cutie! I'm sorry it was a hard delivery.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Congratulations! She is beautiful.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    Congratulations, so sorry about your traumatic experience!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Congrats, she is beautiful!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your gorgeous girl! I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic birth! FX for a speedy recovery.
    imageimage
  • Options
    She is a cutie. That sounds like quite the ordeal. I hope you have quick and smooth recovery and that the newborn cuteness makes it all better ;)
  • Options
    @PurpleHippo19‌ they aren't sure what caused the pain in my bowel. Their best guess is a gas pain that was stuck because of her position, which was then amplified by a trillion from the contractions. I am terrified to ever be pregnant at this point because of how painful it was! I told my mom today I know that must have been a freak complication because there is no way people would ever have babies if that was normal!

@scottysgirl77‌ I had an epidural, a boost to my epidural, and several doses of the spinal block because when they would test me before they cut I kept feeling the pain. That was the other terrifying part of it, I was so worried I would Feel them cut into me because they kept needing to add more pain control.

Thank you everyone! We are head over heals for our sweet girl and have enjoyed our first day as parents! She is pretty much perfect!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats and I hope your recovery goes well! The bowel pains also happened to me during contractions when on pitocin...not fun at all.
  • Options
    Congratulations! I'm sorry that you experienced so much pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Glad all is well and hope you have a speedy recovery
  • Options
    I'm sorry you were in so much pain! Why didn't they completely just knock you out at that point? That sounds horrible. Mine was not all sunshine and butterflies either but surprisingly it has already started to fade in my mind. I really hope what they say about the 2nd section is better because holy shit I'm going to really have to talk myself up to do that again too! Congratulations on your baby! I hope your mom has gotten to see her :-)
  • Options
    @MrsBabe614‌ I am not sure why they didn't knock me out, but if we decide to do a RCS with any future children I may request that they do that. I know the recovery is better just using the spinal block, but my anxiety level was through the roof which isn't healthy for baby either.

My mom was able to come see her! I called as soon as we decided to do a c section and they were able to visit after I breast fed her in recovery. She is one proud grandma, and even though what my mom went through is thousands times worse, she has been an even better sounding board for all of my grievances related to the operation!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"