June 2014 Moms

Christmas Presents

Yup I'm going there already lol.

1. What is the etiqute for daycare? She has a desginated "teacher" but is often hanging out with the director and 1 year old teacher based on her schedule there. Do I get something just for her teacher? Should I get three smaller things?

2. What the HECK do you get a 6 month old for Christmas?!?!?! Especially since she won't care about it this year.

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

Re: Christmas Presents

• I was talking to dh about it last night. We don't have much for toys in the 6+ month range, so I'll buy some stuff like that. I know my family will probably buy him clothes.

If anyone has any toy suggestions, I'll take them!

image        image

• fsumomfsumom member
    edited October 2014
    I stay home but do plan on purchasing a $25 gift card to Target for my 2nd grader's teacher. 

For DS, I bought him the Melissa & Doug 2-in-1 Talking Ball and an Under the Nile baby buddy.  He could actually use some toys so I'm not really doing it just because it's Christmas.  I may get him a couple of other things too.

~Jessica~ 

• Loading the player...
  • I would really like to get him some wooden toys so he can play with and chew on them.
    Family will go crazy on him this year as he'll be the only baby boy on both sides of the family, so he'll get tons of clothes :)

Other than that, I'm agree that he'll won't really care about Christmas other than the flashing lights ;)

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• I'm so glad you started this thread, I am just starting to make a list of ideas.  I think we'll be getting him smaller toys, books, teethers. I was also thinking of getting eating items (i.e. baby spoons, bibs, bowls, sippy cups) since he'll be starting solids around 6 months and we have none of that stuff for him. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wanted to ask this question today also! So far I have gotten this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockabye-Ahoy-Doggie-Pirate-Rocker/dp/B005RUIJG0

It was on sale on Gilt and I couldn't pass it up. Some other thing I have on his list are a new carseat, high chair, winter bunting, books, a swing for outside, baby proofing equipment, etc. At this point I am trying to stick to things we mostly "need". I want to get him a few fun things, but I know since he won't remember this year that he won't care too much about the toys.

One question I have is how the heck I am going to talk my in laws down from buying every baby related item/toy on earth. They always go WAY overboard for Christmas and I just don't want that for our kids. How do you all limit the gift buying? (Or do you limit it?). I don't want him to grow up expecing tons of gifts for holidays, plus, I want to make sure that my husband and I are able to give him the things he is most excited about (maybe this is ridiculous, but I don't want all the best gifts to come from grammie and grampy - you know?). Even with my husband, they always manage to "out do" me when it comes to gift giving, and I just want to avoid that when it comes to LO! I am not sure how to bring the subject up without coming off as rude or ungrateful.

• @frenchchocolate  a few years ago my extended family switched to doing secret santas and it cut down on the crazy gift-giving.  We still do stockings so that everyone can get each other something small.  My grandmother also gets to give everyone one gift (it was the only way to get her on board with the secret santa).  We all really like it.  You get to focus on one gift and make it more meaningful.  That being said, we still do Xmas with both our parents separately so we'll get more stuff but hopefully they won't go too crazy.  Not sure if the secret santa thing will work for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We got c some bath toys her first Christmas, as well as snacks and diapers. Will probably do the same for Charlie.

My daycare always had a lost of classroom items that were needed, and it was encouraged to buy for the rooms, not the teachers. I always did something off the list and some chocolates that all the teachers could share. It went over really well.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @frenchchocolate611 - I'm with you! My mom knows that I don't want a TON of toys and such for DD since our house is only so big. My MIL has gone against all my wishes thusfar (i.e. I didn't want a swing, didn't put one on our registry and she still went to Toys R Us - where we were registered - never looked at our registry and bought us a swing that was a floor model so we couldn't even return it). DH and I are on the same page which is a big help so hopefully she will listen!!!

• PS - thanks everyone for some good ideas already :) Let's keep it rolling!

• So far, the only thing I have purchased is this burlap Christmas sack but we will be using it every year for her special Santa gift :) (In our house, only one gift comes from Santa, but it is usually the biggest/best one): https://www.etsy.com/listing/162794963/burlap-christmas-present-santa-sackbag?ref=shop_home_feat_3

We'll also be taking her Christmas pics with her in it this year, so I am getting all the use out of it that I can!

I am stumped on what to actually buy as far as gifts, though. Bath toys are a great suggestion, so I will put that on my list! I know we will be spoiled by the grandparents as well so I won't be buying her any clothes (besides a winter coat and other staples like that) but will maybe get some bigger sleep sacks and some more board books. Our house is already feeling claustrophobic with toys and bouncers so I hope we can keep the clutter to a minimum.

• OMG @babygabe614 that bag is AMAZING!!! I may need to get one too haha

• @babygabe614 that bag is so cute I love it!

• frenchchocolate611 THANK YOU for saying that you purchased your rocker from gilt. 

If anyone else is interested in a rockabye rocker -- they have some really cute ones...from their website if you enter gilt2014 as a promo code you get 50% off!!

• Some six month toys like a walker and play table and that scout dog, and grandparents are going to spoil him so I'm going to make an Amazon gift list with books and toys and send it to them. We are limiting what grandparents buy because our house is only so big too and he doesn't need that much stuff.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AbbySeiden - that is such a good idea!!

• We are doing My Pal Scout. We got DD Violet for her first Christmas and she loved it. We would also do an activity table, but already have one. This site has the best suggestions for all age groups. We almost exclusively buy from these suggestions and everything is a hit!
    https://www.babycheapskate.com/2014/10/01/toys-that-get-played-with-2014-6-to-12-months/

My DD loves Violet. She gets a big smile on her face whenever she sees her! Thanks for the link :)
  • We are doing 25 days of books for the boys and then baby will also get a convertible carseat, I also picked up a few other small things from marshalls but I can't remember what all I grabbed now
  • Zach is getting a bouncer, piggy bank and some pi's from my mom. My sister is getting him some 6mo+ toys and board books and I'm putting together a wish list of clothes and books for my MIL.

We are getting him more practical gifts that are actually for more for us, I have no shame. He is getting a bookcase, a playgate thing, and some sippy cups. We are also going to get him a children's bible and I'm debating on getting him a grown up bible with his name engraved, but I might hold off until his birthday.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Because I know my LO will get so many toys. I asked grandparents to get him classes. My MIL is purchasing a package of swim classes for us, and my parents are getting him a Gymboree Pass. Things like passes to the zoo or a museum are also great.
    I love this idea! I'm going to have to look into this.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I bought LO a "My First Christmas" stocking that I plan on filling with all the little things that she uses frequently, such as pacifiers, socks and mittens, teething rings, spoons, etc. I might put one nice keepsake in the stocking, like a bracelet or something. Other than that, I'll probably buy lots of clothes. She probably doesn't need them, but we don't own very many 6-9 month clothes in comparison to 0-3 and 3-6. Plus they're fun to buy. Some other big stuff that we haven't bought yet, like a high chair. I also have several pictures that need to be framed for the nursery, I might consider those gifts for her as well. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• MarciP83MarciP83 member
    edited October 2014
    We typically do three gifts from us (the parents)--> something to wear, something to read, and something they want. Then Santa brings one special gift. Of course the grandparents spoil the kids, so I'm guessing DS will get in on that this year too. My mom asked for suggestions for baby boy and I talked to her about a subscription to Citrus Lane. I have a girlfriend who subscribed months ago and loves it. Basically, it's a once a month mail order box that comes full of developmentally appropriate toys, books, snacks, utensils, etc. Right now the subscriptions are 25% off, too. I think that runs through this Friday. Anyhow, it looks pretty neat and it will be kinda fun to get a new box each month.
  • @jclester614‌ that's adorable!

image        image

• The only thing we are getting DD is violet the dog. My son got scout when he was a baby and still has it sing him to sleep at 3 yrs old.
    We have hopefully finally escaped my in laws for Christmas because it was such a nightmare, a horrible nightmare. I've been keeping a mental list of practical things we could use that my family could get but I doubt they'll listen and spoil all the kids. We draw names for the adults but every family still buys for the kids.
  • Thanks for this thread, such great ideas. We to prob won't be doing much as well this year. Maybe a bigger toy, lots of great ideas here!
  • I love all these suggestions!!! I'm frustrated because my in-laws, specifically, did not ask us what to get for LO.  By chance this past weekend, I found out what they got, and it was everything that I was thinking of getting her... I'm really upset about it.  I need to talk to DH about them too, because they are able to afford much more than us and even though it won't matter now, or even in the near future, it bothers me that they'll be able to get much nicer things, and more things than we will.  I guess I don't want my kids to look forward to Christmas at their house more than actual Christmas day.  /vent

@CLWheel- As for daycare, I plan on putting together a gift basket for her main teacher.  There are other people that come in the room when needed, but I only plan on getting the gift for the one teacher.  I was thinking of putting together a coffee themed basket, but then I found out she loves photography and might do something geared towards that. 
  • I want to do a walker...is it too early? LO will be 6 months.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• All this Christmas talk is getting me excited for the holidays. I ordered Murphy his own monogrammed stocking tonight, it is super cute.
  • jmar2011 said:

In the picu they had a laser star machine thag P was IN LOVE with, so we are going to get him that. Then he will get a couple of books and maybe a couple of small toys. But that'll be it

@jmar2011‌ do you have a link for the machine? I have been wanting to get LO something like that.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just bought the daycare teacher gifts today. I got a couple of the holiday grab bags from burtsbees.com and I will divide them up between 3 or more teachers, add a loofah and maybe a few other things. There are 2 full time and a part time teacher in her class. One of her teachers had a birthday last month and I gave her a small gift set from penzy's spices. It was $9.95 I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"